Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no point. Given your posts and avatar, you are either a troll or Ken himself.
I am confused as to why we write off pretty much everyone, myself included who have differing opinions to the ones contained in this thread. And I don't think this guy is saying anything to promote negative reactions deliberately. Having an opinion and respecting other people's isn't trolling.

Where do you think Hinkley has gone wrong? Outside of not winning the final game of the year, what makes him a bad coach?

He hasn’t got the team to the final game of the year let alone winning it.

I mean, my entire point was that he was accountable but not culpable. Given I haven't received a single response as to why he is a bad coach I'll stick with my assumption.

Another question. At the beginning of 2021, or even now, does anyone actually think that another coach available in the market would have a better chance of achieving a premiership than Ken?
We are gonna terrorise Lachie Neale I reckon. Why would a head coach say something so stupid before a big game.

I think we live in the age where stability is looked at as a positive over an extended time from a club point of view and from an AFL point of view.

It’s not like Ken hasn’t tried but he hasn’t got it done.

Won’t surprise me if somehow Geelong chase him.

If he gets an offer in front of him like he did with Gold Coast watch him go.

I think we live in the age where stability is looked at as a positive over an extended time from a club point of view and from an AFL point of view.

Did he ever really have an offer from the Gold Coast though?

I believe Hinkley threatening to break his contract and go to the Gold Coast for more money and less pressure was just a ruse concocted by his manager to bluff Koch into giving Hinkley a premature and thoroughly undeserved and unnecessary contract extension.

The fact that Hinkley threatened that was grounds alone not to extend his contract. If Koch didn't value stability so much more than success he would have released Hinkley from his contract and told him to go to the Gold Coast and not to let the door hit him on the way out.

Koch seems to have this misconception that if you have stability for an extended period of time success will naturally come.

Did he ever really have an offer from the Gold Coast though?

I believe Hinkley threatening to break his contract and go to the Gold Coast for more money and less pressure was just a ruse concocted by his manager to bluff Koch into giving Hinkley a premature and thoroughly undeserved and unnecessary contract extension.

The fact that Hinkley threatened that was grounds alone not to extend his contract. If Koch didn't value stability so much more than success he would have released Hinkley from his contract and told him to go to the Gold Coast and not to let the door hit him on the way out.

Koch seems to have this misconception that if you have stability for an extended period of time success will naturally come.

I agree with your last point definitely.

I did hear the story from someone who knows an important person at the club so would say it's pretty on the money (GC Story)

Every coach tries something different if its not working. Change doesnt equal winning though. Sometimes you just come up against a team more determined and better than yours.

As i aaid in the game thread, this was more of an execution issue than something more ingrained. More inside 50s, 5.14.

Even as mere arm chair experts we could pick up that our forward 50 entries were too high and long and that we needed to lower our eyes. Why couldn’t the head coach identify this and convey to the players to make the change?

I mean, the players themselves should pick up on this but I guess your average footballer isn’t all that bright

By the by, Rucci did the same thing.

Launching a broadside at ignorant, ungrateful fans who were agitating for change after the disastrous end to the 2019 season… before predicting we’d finish 10th in 2020.

🤪

Rucci’s recent engagement with the club to write PAFC articles just shows that he was a paid mouthpiece in recent years to spit Kochie’s and KT’s propaganda

Even as mere arm chair experts we could pick up that our forward 50 entries were too high and long and that we needed to lower our eyes. Why couldn’t the head coach identify this and convey to the players to make the change?

I mean, the players themselves should pick up on this but I guess your average footballer isn’t all that bright
The most annoying thing is we seemed to be finally doing it early in the season after all these years.

It was the only reason I regained some optimism.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t want Hinkley gone bc he can or can’t coach. I want him gone bc I feel these players need a breath of fresh air and someone who can take them outside of their comfort zone. Far too often do we see that when going gets tough, our players stop trying. Need someone who will hold players accountable when they don’t perform

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard not to think that 2020 is as good as it'll ever get under Hinkley. He gives every indication of lacking football smarts and being clueless on how to get the team to the next level. For all his lip service to Port's supporters and history, his attitude and coaching doesn't adhere to the Port Adelaide ethos and never will.

Where do you think Hinkley has gone wrong? Outside of not winning the final game of the year, what makes him a bad coach?

So there are several elements to this.

How do you rate a coach? Lots of different ways but premierships is the simple and best way. Hinkley has a great win:loss ratio. He is popular with many supporters and the media. He seems relatively even handed and has been a part of a long period of stability.
He arrived when we were in a terrible period and helped us out of that.

Where has he gone wrong?
Every coach makes mistakes and has down games.
The biggest issue, that I see, has been around making the same mistakes.

- Not rocking up for games and getting blown out of the water. Why isn’t he able to get the side into the right mindset or at least a competitive state? And often this is during predictable games ie vs Brisbane
- An inability to address key deficiencies in our game, such as forward fifty entries
- a tough and clear selection policy. Every coach has their favourites but one of Hinkley’s consistent faults (or qualities perhaps) has been the decision to ‘give the players a chance to bounce back’. Why does this list get to prove themselves? What runs on the board does the majority of players have?

The biggest issue really though is an inability to get the players to a flag. 2014 and 2020 were our chances. 2015-17 we under performed.

What makes you think Hinkley is a good coach?

Lots goes into a premiership - right list, right coaches, adequate funding, luck with injuries and decisions - most of this is out of his control but your head coach is ultimately who gets judged. That’s the reality.

Most coaches win their first flag in the first 5 years of their tenure. Hardwick 8 years, Malthouse 10 years and Thompson 7 years are the exceptions. Hinkley is in his 9th season with a less impressive record than Malthouse at the same time.

We are a serious chance this year but if he doesn’t get us over the line, he has to go.

We should have let Hinkley go when he leveraged Gold Coast against us.

Koch really shits me with this. On the one hand he's smart enough to call out McGuire / Gil and the Heritage round as like Insider Trading, yet repeatedly fails to avoid the sunk cost fallacy with Hinkley.

yeah sTaBiLiTy BrEeDs SuCcEsS! what was that line where Koch was like "big clubs like Arsenal and Barca keep their coach for ages, so that's what we'll do, hopefully it works"

Hard not to think that 2020 is as good as it'll ever get under Hinkley. He gives every indication of lacking football smarts and being clueless on how to get the team to the next level. For all his lip service to Port's supporters and history, his attitude and coaching doesn't adhere to the Port Adelaide ethos and never will.
He's an AFL man thru' n thru'. The PAFC is just his current vehicle on the journey. It's why he never ruffles the feathers of Head Office.

Koch really shits me with this. On the one hand he's smart enough to call out McGuire / Gil and the Heritage round as like Insider Trading, yet repeatedly fails to avoid the sunk cost fallacy with Hinkley.

Perhaps he knows he gone too? more likely to feel the heat = for failure

The wild overemphasis on our comparative lack of resources versus the West Coasts and Richmonds — KT’s infamous email to lapsed members positioning us a permabattling underdog who routinely punches above its weight underlining this belief — grates me, too.

Whether we have 1 Alter-G antigravity treadmill or 20, we participate in a salary capped league.

Now there’s obviously a stark competitive imbalance if you’re running with a FIFO-assistant coach on Skype, or a fitness guru who believes Kosmodisk isn’t pseudoscientific canine testicles, but at a certain level of median funding and resourcing the gap doesn’t represent a sort of Manchester City versus Sunderlandesque chasm like the previous regime and its media minions strained to equivalence.

It’s such a pathetic out and ready excuse for underperformance, as if Collingwood went out and bought Kylian Mbappe for £180,000,000 while all we could do was borrow Andy Carroll from Newcastle on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back