Petracca signs until the end of 2029

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great to see that there's still loyalty in footy with the bulk of our bigger name players signing on long term.

I mean if Pies want one of our players they can have Tom McDonald for the right price haha. They're screaming out for a key forward.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
This argument about the salary cap going up, do we know if that is even happening? Surely with the Covid fallout, I can't imagine the cap increasing in any meaningful way, or at all.
I heard on SEN that it was supposed to go up considerably due to covid and the players taking a cut in 2020. I don’t quite understand how it is possible but it was suggested that this is why the likes of Cripps, Bont and Merrett haven’t resigned yet.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Don't think anyone's inferring it's a bad deal for Melbourne in any way shape or form. Petracca could've backed himself in for a shorter deal to get more dollars but your last line is probably in line with his thinking anyway. Too many players hold their club to ransom **cough, Grundy, Cognilio, Kelly, Ablett cough** to the detriment of team success.

Personally I like it.

Youre misreading the sentiment.

This is a ridiculously good deal for the dees. Signed your best player for a contract that is long but will look cheap in a few years with increased salary caps.

Very generous and some would argue idiotic for trac. Good on the dees though. absolute bargain - would be stoked if we did the same for walsh

Yeah, I was more referring to the response from some of the Melbourne supporters earlier in the thread but by the time I posted there were a few other posts above mine from oppo supporters.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I'm implying he could have, and would have gotten far, far more than what he signed for.

Depends what you're after. Some players want to wring as much out of the club/clubs as they can and earn their maximum potential over the life of their footy career. Some are willing to sacrifice some dollars to try and build a team that can win flags. Not saying one is right and another wrong but I think Petracca seems more concerned with success and his legacy rather than earning an extra million over his career (not saying success is guaranteed in any way, shape or form by the way). People laughed at him a few years back when he said he wanted to be a Hall of Famer but I think decisions like this show he was not having a laugh. Best way to cement your legacy is playing in September and winning flags, hopefully he gets to realise his dream :cool:

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Surely the most sensible way to structure contracts is to base it as a % of the approved salary cap.

That would account for vagaries in salary cap totals especially over a significant period like Petracca’s deal.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
keep the boy on protein and off the carbs and the good form will continue
FDA50CE5-A5EB-4ED3-8B05-D02B17492B32.jpeg

Surely the most sensible way to structure contracts is to base it as a % of the approved salary cap.

That would account for vagaries in salary cap totals especially over a significant period like Petracca’s deal.
Or maybe they want to keep it strictly at a dollar figure so if the expected salary cap increase does go ahead then his % of the salary cap will reduce and allow more flexibility in signing/re-signing other players

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
How do people know the contract doesnt automatically scale up with salary cap increases ?

Im guessing noone here or in the media has read it.
I'd imagine most big name players would be having their big contracts now tied to the cap. E.g if the cap goes up 10% they might get a 5% increase to their deal or something.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I'd imagine most big name players would be having their big contracts now tied to the cap. E.g if the cap goes up 10% they might get a 5% increase to their deal or something.
The alleged unders maybe counterweighed by bonuses triggered , min games played , making all australian team , winning brownlow etc

It's a big deal with risk at the length of the contract

But lets be honest he has shown over the last 18 months he is in the top echelon of players in the league, he is a match winner and those players cost you in that $1m range. His two BOG's this year have come against Geelong and Richmond (our two biggest tests), so he shows that he rises to the occassion

His contract even looks better when you compare it to some of the other players over the last 5-6 years that have gotten those $1m a year deals like Scully, Treloar, Boyd ext

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
A great deal for the player but not the club. Quality player but irresponsible to give anyone more than five years.

So much changes in football that to lock yourself into this is madness. I guess it also depends if he was threatening to leave the club or not, it doesn't sound like it.

At the end of the day his contribution to a Melbourne premiership will decide. Great for Melbourne fans though.

Back