Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favourably to Campbell. Roughly in the same conversation with Hollands.

Hollands I had at 4 last year, Campbell at 11.

Sonsie and Roberts if in last year's draft I'd probably have had just behind Hollands and Thilthorpe (4/5 on my board last year), though by just about nothing.
That partly reflects on how much I liked the top-5 last year, though also at the same time how this year's top end isn't incredible.
I'm hopeful, Sinn by years end is in the top 5 and sitting in the conversation with Daicos and Horne as the best player in this years draft pool. He seems to have all the traits to be in that bracket. Obviously he needs to show he can be a damaging centre clearance player to be in that conversation but I have some hope he is the break out player from this years pool. Do you have any particular player that you can see breaking out and joining the consensus top two in the second half of the season? I don't have much hope that player is Sonsie, he looks, at times timid and doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm hopeful, Sinn by years end is in the top 5 and sitting in the conversation with Daicos and Horne as the best player in this years draft pool. He seems to have all the traits to be in that bracket. Obviously he needs to show he can be a damaging centre clearance player to be in that conversation but I have some hope he is the break out player from this years pool. Do you have any particular player that you can see breaking out and joining the consensus top two in the second half of the season? I don't have much hope that player is Sonsie, he looks, at times timid and doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm pretty strong on my top-4. The top-2 is neck and neck. Sonsie is that next closest to top-2. With Roberts not far back from Sonsie and in my view the more underrated of that top group. It's going to be hard to see anyone outside of those guys breaking into the top-2. It's going to take someone really providing it with their play on a level they're yet to show to this point in time.

Sinn has attributes, I just want to see him start finding and winning more of the football wherever he's playing. Some will have him top-5, and many will have him ahead of Roberts, particularly the Victorian viewers, but I don't feel like on form yet he justifies being that, that high.

Sonsie I've liked early season. His game v Geelong VFL was disappointing. But otherwise I've liked him. Winning it, using it so well, breaking open games and taking it over for periods, exerting his influence. I don't have him all that far behind Daicos, but he'll need to keep performing to hold that spot and be within that kind of range.

I'm pretty strong on my top-4. The top-2 is neck and neck. Sonsie is that next closest to top-2. With Roberts not far back from Sonsie and in my view the more underrated of that top group. It's going to be hard to see anyone outside of those guys breaking into the top-2. It's going to take someone really providing it with their play on a level they're yet to show to this point in time.

Sinn has attributes, I just want to see him start finding and winning more of the football wherever he's playing. Some will have him top-5, and many will have him ahead of Roberts, particularly the Victorian viewers, but I don't feel like on form yet he justifies being that, that high.

Sonsie I've liked early season. His game v Geelong VFL was disappointing. But otherwise I've liked him. Winning it, using it so well, breaking open games and taking it over for periods, exerting his influence. I don't have him all that far behind Daicos, but he'll need to keep performing to hold that spot and be within that kind of range.
Thanks, Its always interesting to get your view. What I saw in that Geelong game put me so far off Sonsie I can't see a way back. Number one attribute in becoming an elite AFL player has to be competiveness. Beyond the skills, speed, class, and any other tangible attribute I have competiveness as being the key ingredient and I saw a complete lack of competitiveness in that particular game. He had the stage & he choked. I hope he proves me wrong.

Favourably to Campbell. Roughly in the same conversation with Hollands.

Hollands I had at 4 last year, Campbell at 11.

Sonsie and Roberts if in last year's draft I'd probably have had just behind Hollands and Thilthorpe (4/5 on my board last year), though by just about nothing.
That partly reflects on how much I liked the top-5 last year, though also at the same time how this year's top end isn't incredible.

You had Grainer-Barass high from memory?

Thanks, Its always interesting to get your view. What I saw in that Geelong game put me so far off Sonsie I can't see a way back. Number one attribute in becoming an elite AFL player has to be competiveness. Beyond the skills, speed, class, and any other tangible attribute I have competiveness as being the key ingredient and I saw a complete lack of competitiveness in that particular game. He had the stage & he choked. I hope he proves me wrong.

That game was basically Daicos offensively trying to impact games, a small handball applying themselves defensively (mostly Horne and Rachele), Fahey with his kick and drive from defence, then Andrew with that Q4 of ruck dominance and some signs here/there from Erasmus.

They were the only things I took away from that. It was such one way traffic that it's more-so find those mini-wins. It would be easy to write off guys like Roberts (didn't get the midfield minutes) among others, but the calibre of pieces in that Geelong midfield made it hard and more than anything put into place where on quality this year's pool sits - which is certainly up the top end is behind where we're mostly accustomed to seeing, as there weren't really those others who put themselves ahead of a Sonsie.

I agree competitiveness is a key, and it's contested ball winning above all that translates most consistently to AFL play and allows ones game to make it up a grade if you go through the names over the years of those who translate and those who don't, particularly early draft, but Sonsie actually is one of the absolute most advanced in those respects, even as a classy type which speaks to the relative lack of strength in this year's draft.

You had Grainer-Barass high from memory?

I had Denver at 7 in my power rankings. Lower than most I'd imagine.

That game was basically Daicos offensively trying to impact games, a small handball applying themselves defensively (mostly Horne and Rachele), Fahey with his kick and drive from defence, then Andrew with that Q4 of ruck dominance and some signs here/there from Erasmus.

They were the only things I took away from that. It was such one way traffic that it's more-so find those mini-wins. It would be easy to write off guys like Roberts (didn't get the midfield minutes) among others, but the calibre of pieces in that Geelong midfield made it hard and more than anything put into place where on quality this year's pool sits - which is certainly up the top end is behind where we're mostly accustomed to seeing, as there weren't really those others who put themselves ahead of a Sonsie.

I agree competitiveness is a key, and it's contested ball winning above all that translates most consistently to AFL play and allows ones game to make it up a grade if you go through the names over the years of those who translate and those who don't, particularly early draft, but Sonsie actually is one of the absolute most advanced in those respects, even as a classy type which speaks to the relative lack of strength in this year's draft.

I had Denver at 7 in my power rankings. Lower than most I'd imagine.

Thanks mate. Appreciate your replies as always

Knightmare thoughts on Archie Loughnan? Been playing some great footy for Caulfield, and showed a bit for the Dragons so far - only problem being he's probably a bit too short to play the tall forward position he likes

Have yet to see Daicos lay a tackle yet. Seems a bit above the defensive stuff.

Sounds like you read my AFL Draft Wrap from last week where I covered the AFL Academy v Geelong game or watched the game.

Daicos is all about offense and is great with ball in hand.

My relative questions of Daicos at this point are:
1. application defensively (tackling/chasing/pressureing)
2. contested side to his game (he actually led AFL Academy v Geelong and is winning a fair bit of it still, but still the proportion of uncontested to contested is very high and I've got questions around his upside as a contested ball winner. Maybe as he gets stronger that develops further, but I see him as someone you'd want more-so as a 3rd best ball winner through the midfield and someone you'd want a contested beast playing alongside to support him, as I don't see him ever developing into a contested beast).

Knightmare thoughts on Archie Loughnan? Been playing some great footy for Caulfield, and showed a bit for the Dragons so far - only problem being he's probably a bit too short to play the tall forward position he likes

I don't believe Loughnan has played for Sandringham yet has he this year?

My focus at this time, and this is a bit of a break from trend for me, but for the positive I feel to have a better feel for the whole talent pool nationally including mature agers is I'm ignoring the APS season entirely and focusing my attention on the SANFL (League/U18s), WAFL (League/U18s) and VFL at this time. With the mid-season draft coming up, I feel at least it's the most efficient place to place my attention as the better private school boys will be returning to the NAB League soon enough anyway. So I'll have to wait to see Loughnan and others who haven't played any NAB League until later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any 2004 babies that have caught your eyes KM?

With the NAB League an u19 comp now, I'd struggle to name any.

Luke Yeo from WA is one top of mind to watch for next year who I've liked the look of so far.

If anyone has some favourites from 2004 feel free to leave them below and I'll eventually get around to watching them I'm sure.

With the NAB League an u19 comp now, I'd struggle to name any.

Luke Yeo from WA is one top of mind to watch for next year who I've liked the look of so far.

If anyone has some favourites from 2004 feel free to leave them below and I'll eventually get around to watching them I'm sure.
Isaac Keeler North Adelaide

Will Verrall South Adelaide

Kobe Ryan West Adelaide

Isaac Keeler North Adelaide

Will Verrall South Adelaide

Kobe Ryan West Adelaide

I'll add another South Australian for next year in Taj Rahui.

Only checked his year of birth now, but he won me over as an early fan with his game for Norwood on the weekend v South Adelaide.

I'll add another South Australian for next year in Taj Rahui.

Only checked his year of birth now, but he won me over as an early fan with his game for Norwood on the weekend v South Adelaide.
Can't put em' all in...

One of my comments on that on game day.
Quieter 1/4 from Roberts though looked to be "managed" a bit.

Roberts 33 Disposals - 22K - 11Hb - 8M (2contested) - 9T - 8Cl - 10i50's - 2 goals.

For the Panthers Luke Mitton not very big but a real goer with 8 Clearances and 7 tackles, Isaac Birt with plenty of outside run and big man Will Verrall (2022) super impressive in ruck with 31 hit outs and 6 clearances.

For the Legs captain Matthew Dnistriansky and Taj Rahui the best.

Some more names to keep an eye out for are:

Jed Hagan.
Elijah Tsatas.
Matthew Payne.
Matthew Jefferson.
Matthew Stephenson.
Will Ashcroft.
Riley Verrall.
George Wardlaw.
Brody Pope.
Jonti Schuback.
Jedd Busslinger.
Luke Brown.
Jasper Scaife.
Lewis Crump.
Chase Bourne.
Austin McDonald.
Cooper Harvey.

Some more names to keep an eye out for are:

Jed Hagan.
Elijah Tsatas.
Matthew Payne.
Matthew Jefferson.
Matthew Stephenson.
Will Ashcroft.
Riley Verrall.
George Wardlaw.
Brody Pope.
Jonti Schuback.
Jedd Busslinger.
Luke Brown.
Jasper Scaife.
Lewis Crump.
Chase Bourne.
Austin McDonald.
Cooper Harvey.
I have a fair list of players you could add to that, brothers of guns Elliot Perkins and Oliver Hollands are two playing for Geelong Grammar/Murray and Brighton Grammar/Sandringham .Noah Long is a Caleb Serong type at Geelong Grammar/Bendigo

I have a fair list of players you could add to that, brothers of guns Elliot Perkins and Oliver Hollands are two playing for Geelong Grammar/Murray and Brighton Grammar/Sandringham .Noah Long is a Caleb Serong type at Geelong Grammar/Bendigo

Jackson Broadbent and Nick McLarty too.

Can't put em' all in...

One of my comments on that on game day.

I mention Rahui in my weekly wrap this week.

I liked the look of him. Other than Roberts who was the clear standout in that game, Rahui was my #2, ahead of Draper. Just looked so good with ball in hand. Love the way he moves. He's a talent.

Knightmare just wondering what you like about Hugh Jackson thar has him higher than other draft watchers?

Everything I've read and seen of him makes me think hes going to be a gun. Seems like a Zach Merret type?

Is he quick enough for his height?

I haven't compared my ratings to others, but I'm liking Jackson. Probably others are thinking - average height, he's just a mid, nothing extraordinary if they've got him lower.

I'm liking what he's doing though. Progressed this year to be more of a contested ball winner from more of an outside type previously. High volume accumulator. Uses it really well and is all class with ball in hand. He's one of those mids where I feel like people probably won't appreciate him for who he is and what he is doing already.

Ever look into the Canberra league @Knighmare? There are a few I reckon could push into the mid-to-late rounds of the draft, obviously, the competition isn't quite top-notch though.

Can't say I do.

I only watch NAB League/SANFL/WAFL/VFL/U18 Champs and in years past APS football (VIC).

I'm only one person and only have so many hours in my day, so I have to prioritise my attention.

Any footage of any players of draft relevance from Canberra though I'm more than happy to look over if there is anyone you feel is worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back