List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have taken him anyway but I'm on my own there. Best available mid or if there is a KPD I'd look at one here.
Agree on this. KPD the position we need to fill, as well as a long term ruck. But you just go best available. Balance it with who we're looking at / abundant types at end of year maybe, but we're probably not looking for someone to fill an immediate gap to win a flag this year.

Agree on this. KPD the position we need to fill, as well as a long term ruck. But you just go best available. Balance it with who we're looking at / abundant types at end of year maybe, but we're probably not looking for someone to fill an immediate gap to win a flag this year.

I'd just view our first pick as an extra top 20 pick last season, with COVID stopping junior footy we have a lot of players not drafted last year that would be top 30 choices this season. This is why I'm against North getting a priority pick- the mid season draft is a priority pick. If Edwards nominates he'd go top 10-15 at worst (he'll go 1 in the MSD right now).

In terms of us, I would ideally get a KPD as we had have issues this year with injuries there, and Melican is made of glass, and Brand isn't really good enough. Some depth there could be ideal.

I'd just view our first pick as an extra top 20 pick last season, with COVID stopping junior footy we have a lot of players not drafted last year that would be top 30 choices this season. This is why I'm against North getting a priority pick- the mid season draft is a priority pick. If Edwards nominates he'd go top 10-15 at worst (he'll go 1 in the MSD right now).

In terms of us, I would ideally get a KPD as we had have issues this year with injuries there, and Melican is made of glass, and Brand isn't really good enough. Some depth there could be ideal.
Yeah I'd give some weighting to KPD or ruck, but if there's a mid that we see as a top 20-30 pick normally, vs KPD/ruck that's more speculative, no-brainer. In any case, we'll likely be hurt by ladder position, but we've done alright with the likes of McInerney, McCartin, Rowbottom and Warner as examples of recent 20s to 40s picks. So confident we can find someone with the increased mid season talent this year.

I'd have been ok with getting McCartin if he was able to show consistency until the MSD. Now that's unlikely, others should move in front of him if they've shown more.

I'd have been ok with getting McCartin if he was able to show consistency until the MSD. Now that's unlikely, others should move in front of him if they've shown more.

Look if we can get a second pick I recon I'd be okay with him as the second selection. Still feel we need a defender or a mid more.

Look if we can get a second pick I recon I'd be okay with him as the second selection. Still feel we need a defender or a mid more.

In his limited showing so far I reckon he has performed better as a defender than a forward.

It’s a mid season draft pick. A throw away pick. Player can be axed by the end of that season.
Or it's a fantastic opportunity to bring in a player showing form before they get to the end of year draft / rookie draft. This year in particular, with the lack of footy last season. It won't ruin us if we get it wrong, but could be a massive boost if we land the right recruit.

It’s a mid season draft pick. A throw away pick. Player can be axed by the end of that season.

Any other year yes. Not this year. Half these MSD picks would have been top 15-25 in a normal draft. Last year was just very unusual. Personally I’m taking a live pick (ideally a KPD), then McCartin if we have a second pick

Half these MSD picks would have been top 15-25 in a normal draft. Last year was just very unusual. Personally I’m taking a live pick (ideally a KPD), then McCartin if we have a second pick

So with a pick with the equivalency of 15-25 in a national draft you want ideally to take a KPD, even though previously;

Defenders are a lot easier to find than KPF or gun mids.
Can always get a defender this year later in the draft.
Get a defender late in the draft don’t spend a premium selection on one. You can always get a defender- you can’t always get an A grade mid late in drafts

please-explain-1080x1080.png

So with a pick with the equivalency of 15-25 in a national draft you want ideally to take a KPD, even though previously;

We are short of one as we have Melican is injury prone and Brand isn’t good enough. I would go best available but a slight lean to a structural selection. If a mid that can’t be missed drops though, take him. I’m happier to take a KPD at this stage rather than a top 5 pick last year that’s what many wanted to do!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'd give some weighting to KPD or ruck, but if there's a mid that we see as a top 20-30 pick normally, vs KPD/ruck that's more speculative, no-brainer. In any case, we'll likely be hurt by ladder position, but we've done alright with the likes of McInerney, McCartin, Rowbottom and Warner as examples of recent 20s to 40s picks. So confident we can find someone with the increased mid season talent this year.
We probably have another mid coming in through the Academy. Not sure first second or third round. So KPD for me or ruck. We also have no pick in the third round this year. 1st round, 2nd round, and 4th round etc. A bit skinny on previous years. This is before trades of course.

Our first pick in both the MSD and 2021 National Draft should be spent on tall timber if Beatson and Dalrymple aren't pursuing any free agents or trade targets in those positions. Ruck and KPD both absolute necessities and the earlier we get them the sooner we can have them ready for our premiership assault in the next few years.

I really think we should be asking the question of Degoey again. Yea he has his flaws and the obvious off field drama, but his talent is obvious, he just really needs to improve his work ethic. He is coming under a lot of heat atm and now will be the perfect time to strike. He may appreciate the ability to get from underneath the spotlight and ply his craft.

He does seem to have an ego and let’s face it all the best players do, it gives them that edge, if he can pull his head in and work at the level he needs to, the swans fans love the rockstar players and he can potentially be that player when buddy retires.

Obviously he would need to tick a lot of boxes both on field and off field but it’s definately an avenue the club should at least explore

A heeney and Degoey duo would be lethal. You either have them both forward where they are incredibly difficult to match up on or you can rotate alternate them forward and through the middle, that way we always have the impact player around the ground, whilst still keeping a very dangerous player up forward

A heeney and Degoey duo would be lethal. You either have them both forward where they are incredibly difficult to match up on or you can rotate alternate them forward and through the middle, that way we always have the impact player around the ground, whilst still keeping a very dangerous player up forward

yeah, de goey not a bad idea ... we've had success with collingwood dunderheads ... de goey could be our next nick davis

I really think we should be asking the question of Degoey again. Yea he has his flaws and the obvious off field drama, but his talent is obvious, he just really needs to improve his work ethic. He is coming under a lot of heat atm and now will be the perfect time to strike. He may appreciate the ability to get from underneath the spotlight and ply his craft.

He does seem to have an ego and let’s face it all the best players do, it gives them that edge, if he can pull his head in and work at the level he needs to, the swans fans love the rockstar players and he can potentially be that player when buddy retires.

Obviously he would need to tick a lot of boxes both on field and off field but it’s definately an avenue the club should at least explore

No thanks not until we know the outcome of the court proceedings at the very least.

one is always injured and rather inconsistent and the other simply couldn't be bothered and thinks he is too good for it all.

DeGoey re-signed for 2 years in December 2020 at a reported $750k pa.
So we would have to trade for him (RFA at the end of 2022)
Forget off-field, overlook attitude and let's just concentrate on performance.

DeGoey on the left, the Chad on the right, stats for 2021. DeGoey on the left, Errol on the right, stats for 2021. And one for the road DeGoey left, Sam Wicks right

Screenshot_2021-05-04 Jordan De Goey and Chad Warner AFL Stats Comparison.png Screenshot_2021-05-04 Jordan De Goey and Errol Gulden AFL Stats Comparison.png Screenshot_2021-05-04 Jordan De Goey and Sam Wicks AFL Stats Comparison.png

DeGoey's career stats;
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Jordan De Goey of the Collingwood Magpies Career AFL Stats.png

No thanks.

No thanks to JDG, even on minimum chips. His ability is there but lacks application and is selfish. Even without the current charges he has a poor record off field.

all the same sort of criticism was levelled at nick davis, even after he'd come to sydney ... de goey is an all-round better footballer than davis ...

all the same sort of criticism was levelled at nick davis, even after he'd come to sydney ... de goey is an all-round better footballer than davis ...

Davis sorted himself out. He continues to give back to our Club.

JDG is thick as a plank, lacks the body shape to run out games and has no observable team orientation. Our no DH policy has been adopted by other Clubs, bar the Pies. I really doubt any Club would take him even without the current charges he is on.

Davis sorted himself out. He continues to give back to our Club.

JDG is thick as a plank, lacks the body shape to run out games and has no observable team orientation. Our no DH policy has been adopted by other Clubs, bar the Pies. I really doubt any Club would take him even without the current charges he is on.
Davis never sorted himself out.... He had periods but ultimately it seemed his lack of professionalism was what cost him a few more years in the system. Plenty of teammates have commented about Davis not being too fit during his time at the Swans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back