Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Really impressive. 11 contested possessions and he was clean and made good decisions with the ball. Play him for an extended period.

Still think he looks a bit skinny for his role of a pure inside mid so I am not sure why they made him lose a bunch of weight. But he's trending in the right direction.

My boy Ross has been disappointing lately so RCD should stay ahead of him.

Last edited:
Really impressive. 11 contested possessions and he was clean and made good decisions with the ball. Play him for an extended period.

Still think he looks a bit skinny for his role of a pure inside mid so I am not sure why they made him lose a bunch of weight. But he's trending in the right direction.

thought his pressure was top-notch too.

My guess is this. From what we've all been hearing he was always going to be a long term project, and his body was going to need quite some time to mature. It would have been hard for him taking the step up from juniors where he was dominating everyone with his size, to come up and vs grown men with many pre seasons under their belt. I do seem to recall Dimma carefully using the word "puppy fat" as well. Also as others have mentioned, he does look a tad slow defensively as well

My guess is this. From what we've all been hearing he was always going to be a long term project, and his body was going to need quite some time to mature. It would have been hard for him taking the step up from juniors where he was dominating everyone with his size, to come up and vs grown men with many pre seasons under their belt. I do seem to recall Dimma carefully using the word "puppy fat" as well. Also as others have mentioned, he does look a tad slow defensively as well

He could hardly get the ball in juniors ..

Not many players come in and have 11 cont possessions 5 clearances 5 tackles in their first game v arguably the best midfield in the comp. Watching some of the game back does some excellent things in close. His running will improve but he’s the exact type of player we need.

Slots into Cotch’s spot for the next 3-4. Remains in the side after that rested periodically. We have a player here, surely we all knew that since his BOG game in the ‘19 VFL granny.

Cripps put weight back on heading into this year and is struggling to have the same impact as he did across the last couple of years as he looks to have lost both pace and also the ability to get from contest to contest. RCDs weakness had been his inability to get from contest to contest and also picking up some easy possessions on the outside. Seems to be covering the ground better this year at the lower level and will become better at the higher level as he gets a better understanding of the where he needs to be when on offence and in particular defensive transition.

I thought RCD was okay.

If he is going to play as a mid I think he should try and follow a role like Macrae. Don't be exactly like Macrae, Macrae is a little taller but I think that might be the best type of role for him to aspire to as a pure mid versus a hybrid which I think he will probably end up playing.

I think RCD was a little stand offish which happens to many in their first game. I would like to see him kiss the ball a little more in terms of showing more presence in the contest. Show confidence and impose himself a little more, be a nuisance. Do not be afraid to get in the way. If RCD is more of a nuisance inside it releases Bolton, Pickett and others more on the outside where they can exploit their zip and evasiveness.

Still I think RCD was solid as a start, will be better for the run and more games will improve his development for sure and the team's impact

Don't be afraid to make a mistake, he is only starting, making mistakes and learning from them is all part of development

Last edited:
I thought RCD was okay.

If he is going to play as a mid I think he should try and follow a role like Macrae. Don't be exactly like Macrae, Macrae is a little taller but I think that might be the best type of role for him to aspire to as a pure mid versus a hybrid which I think he will probably end up playing.

I think RCD was a little stand offish which happens to many in their first game. I would like to see him kiss the ball a little more in terms of showing more presence in the contest. Show confidence and impose himself a little more, be a nuisance. Do not be afraid to get in the way. If RCD is more of a nuisance inside it releases Bolton, Pickett and others more on the outside where they can exploit their zip and evasiveness.

Still I think RCD was solid as a start, will be better for the run and more games will improve his development for sure and the team's impact

Don't be afraid to make a mistake, he is only starting, making mistakes and learning from them is all part of development
Am I watching a different RCD. For one thing Mcrae is 191cm, RCD is 193cm, also Mcrae is an outside running machine, RCD is an inside coalface player who can break away because he is quick, Mcrae isn't quick. All his VFL footy saw him hit hard, tackle hard, get first hands on the ball, the opposite to Mcrae.

First game in he was a little hesitant in the first half, but started to do the things he is good at in the second.

Am I watching a different RCD. For one thing Mcrae is 191cm, RCD is 193cm, also Mcrae is an outside running machine, RCD is an inside coalface player who can break away because he is quick, Mcrae isn't quick. All his VFL footy saw him hit hard, tackle hard, get first hands on the ball, the opposite to Mcrae.

First game in he was a little hesitant in the first half, but started to do the things he is good at in the second.

I do not see Macrae as outside these days and I thought RCD was 189:D

I think thats a role that could work for him with Dusty and Shai being more forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not see Macrae as outside these days and I thought RCD was 189:D

I think thats a role that could work for him with Dusty and Shai being more forward
Macrae pretty much plays exclusively outside these days
Similar role to Sidebottom from the pies on the wing
The bloke had 20 odd uncontested possies in the game against us

Macrae pretty much plays exclusively outside these days
Similar role to Sidebottom from the pies on the wing
The bloke had 20 odd uncontested possies in the game against us

Interesting you see it that way.

Anyway Macrae seemed to disappear versus us I thought

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Plenty of room for development. I think RCD could get a little stronger to to help him but its early days.

Its sometimes is about perspective. What is inside, what is outside? RCD might be thinking and told he is inside where his positioning to the contest is more outside but he does not realise this. This might explain why his numbers are a little lower or infrequent but contested numbers supposedly high. If he is indeed positioning himself more outside does he have the craft t attract the ball from teammates and dispose of it on effectively. Reading the posts over the journey about RCD it seems he is a bit of an enigma so it will be interesting watching the package develop. He looks like he has the speed but could improve his evasiveness.

Whats RCD's handball like?? is this something that can be developed?

Last edited:
Interesting you see it that way.

Anyway Macrae seemed to disappear versus us I thought

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Plenty of room for development. I think RCD could get a little stronger to to help him but its early days.

Its sometimes is about perspective. What is inside, what is outside? RCD might be thinking and told he is inside where his positioning to the contest is more outside but he does not realise this. This might explain why his numbers are a little lower or infrequent but contested numbers supposedly high. If he is indeed positioning himself more outside does he have the craft t attract the ball from teammates and dispose of it on effectively. Reading the posts over the journey about RCD it seems he is a bit of an enigma so it will be interesting watching the package develop. He looks like he has the speed but could improve his evasiveness.

Whats RCD's handball like?? is this something that can be developed?
His handball would be his no.1 attribute at the moment. Because of his height and strength through the core, he is able to stand up in tackles and get his arms free. That is obviously at VFL level, but once he acclimatises and gets a bit stronger it should transfer through to AFL.

His handball would be his no.1 attribute at the moment. Because of his height and strength through the core, he is able to stand up in tackles and get his arms free. That is obviously at VFL level, but once he acclimatises and gets a bit stronger it should transfer through to AFL.
when you look at him against bontompelli who is a legit 193cm he is undersized and needs to continue to work in the gym.

I think a reason as to why he needs to still bulk is possibly the fact he has never been attributed to having a big motor. Maybe they are keeping the weight off for now until the motor is big enough. Just a dumb theory as good as the next one.

We have had him in with the forwards and at around 190cm give or take i think he would be an interesting propisition spending some time in the fwd half.
Quick and tall likes to lay a tackle, if his motor is a bit off atm for a permanent midfield role maybe a chunk of time up fwd is a way to get some decent game time into him.

when you look at him against bontompelli who is a legit 193cm he is undersized and needs to continue to work in the gym.

I think a reason as to why he needs to still bulk is possibly the fact he has never been attributed to having a big motor. Maybe they are keeping the weight off for now until the motor is big enough. Just a dumb theory as good as the next one.

We have had him in with the forwards and at around 190cm give or take i think he would be an interesting propisition spending some time in the fwd half.
Quick and tall likes to lay a tackle, if his motor is a bit off atm for a permanent midfield role maybe a chunk of time up fwd is a way to get some decent game time into him.
I think we do it better than most when you consider how few injuries we have compared to other sides, so it is hard to criticise the conditioning peopel at the club. We drop weight then build it up it seems once they are strong enough to carry it. Considering how fast the game is played these days, do you need to be big and muscular. Edwards, Bolton, Pickett and Baker say no. Macintosh has not added weight in years. Speed is the no.1 thing that keeps you in the game these days. Look at Petracca and Oliver from Melb. Both dropped a lot of weight and are better for it. Dusty, Cotch...

RCD is around Bonts height, he said so himself on the interviews pre-draft, is listed in every publication pre draft at 193cm yet and looking at my post above yours, is the same height as both macIntosh and Grimes. He will take time getting an AFL motor, just like Bolton has so would be good to have develop him as a HF. He played that position in the Vic Games pre draft.

He won't be a full time mid in a full strength side unless he really presses his claims. Like Ross they don't need to be, we need to get get games into them, and get them ready for the transition away from Cotchin and Martin as mids, next year. Can't afford to lose them as they have just scratched the surface of their potential.

Last edited:
Bulk is overrated in AFL. He has the big frame and played amazing last week. Geelong will really try to target him this week so this will be another big test. To continue to challenge we effectively need another Balta, Baker, Bolton, RCD to emerge or two as our stars age every single year. This is Cotchin's replacement so fingers crossed he steps it up more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back