Autopsy Rd 7 Blues beat Bombers in Epic Encounter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when I first laid eyes on him I didn’t think much of the selection ... tbh he looked a nothing player.

Wowee was I wrong! Reminds me of the toughest bloke I’ve ever met, this wiry bloke who looked so unassuming but could tear people apart as his core strength was next level. That is Parks. Guys a beast. The thing I like about him is he is another JSOS, a real competitor and he has composure in spades ... 3 games in and he doesn’t blink.

Already one of my favourite players.
Not sure he is another SOS, but imo he has a fair smattering of Peter Dean in him, a dash of Tommy Alvin, maybe even a hint of Bruce Doull balance.

Top ten with a bullet.

The only risk is him getting pushed out to a half forward flank or something like that for no apparent reason....

This, moved to HFF/FP, gets 10 touches a game and gets dropped.....

Hopefully the penny has dropped with Teague that you can put all of Dow, SPS, Cuningham, Williams, Cripps, Ed, Walsh through the middle. Opens up wing as a rotation for Walsh, Cripps fwd, Williams HFF/HBF, Cuners HFF, Dow HFF, SPS HBF etc. Dont just use Cripps, Ed, Williams and Walsh.

Thought Levi once again drew a defender so H wasn't double teamed

Equal 3rd for inside 50's and 6 score involvements, equal 6th for pressure acts and 7 of his 11 possessions were contested
Yeah, ofc the issue with Levi isn't his output when he's fit. He performs that role really well when fit. Was always just trying to figure out if he'd actually get his knee better or remain ****ed. He certainly looks more mobile

Yep. He really sucks at ruck work I'm sorry to say.

I also question why Matthew Kreuzer, a bloke famous for being quiet, is a ruck coach at our club. He is quiet by nature, and wasn't an overly great tap ruckman himself
Being quiet has nothing to do with coaching skill. There's more effective ways of gaining respect than being the loudest in the space.

Being quiet has nothing to do with coaching skill. There's more effective ways of gaining respect than being the loudest in the space.

Anyone seen Sam Mitchell's videos of him coaching for box hill - he talks to his players very calmly and softly, like explaining something to a 10 year old kid - its quite interesting and very different to any coach i played under

Yep. He really sucks at ruck work I'm sorry to say.

I also question why Matthew Kreuzer, a bloke famous for being quiet, is a ruck coach at our club. He is quiet by nature, and wasn't an overly great tap ruckman himself

Not sure volume of voice is indicative of knowledge of game and how it is delivered

Anyone seen Sam Mitchell's videos of him coaching for box hill - he talks to his players very calmly and softly, like explaining something to a 10 year old kid - its quite interesting and very different to any coach i played under
Ratts used to be a bit like this from memory....until he exploded.

Seemed like O'Keefe takes a similar approach with the reserves. There was a bit of vision of a 3/4 time (I think) address in the huddle last weekend.

Umpire watches him run 1m+ over the obvious mark and simply calls him back. This isn't a subjective rule, just one of the many that is called or ignored on a whim.

View attachment 1118289
Rule book goes out the window when play is in the goal square or thereabouts .
You can pretty much do what you like when shepharding the ball through for a goal .
Entirely to the umpires discretion .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the goals of the week again and I swear on Cripps running goal it looks like Merrett is shepherding for him rather than trying to run him down, strange I’m not sure whether he was confused or just getting ready for next year when he pulls on the navy blue. 😜🤣
He was appealing to the ump for Cripps running too far after about 10 metres was ridiculous .
So so unprofessional from Merrett .

Had a look at the replay for the second time and Tried to establish the difference between our wins and losses. I will keep my thoughts simple.

We got smashed for clearances and yet we won.

Skills did not improve to a great extent we still went out to the wings but pulled the trigger straight down the middle more than we have n the past, Not allowing the opposition to zone back quick enough.

Some determination and willingness to tackle in our back line saved 4 to 5 goals (remember we have been losing by an average of 24 points or so).

Playing more skilled players in the middle Cunners & later SPS resulted in better delivery and rebound.

Playing Ed as a Tagger (which is his best role) had a huge effect.

Forwards pushed back towards the middle Allowing Harry Ed and Owies to capitalise more than usual.

In a nut shell we only beat *, but just a few positional changes, determined Youth with a willingness to chase harass and tackle hard and slightly better disposal was the difference. We got smashed in the center and ruck but still pulled it off with a few more 1%'s we haven't been getting in the past.

I hope it goes up another notch against the flee bitten varmints.
Like your summary you touched on better disposal , in particular in the last quarter imo made the difference .
When the heat goes up and and pressure on we normally just keep turning it over until the opposition take advantage and run away with the win .
Did notice this start of the last quarter and thought oh no here we go again .
But we did tidy up and in fact it was Essendon that was coughing it up more and we where taking advantage .
Normally its just basic execution in a tight game that gets you over the line .
Sadly that hasnt been a strong point of ours for many years .

He was appealing to the ump for Cripps running too far after about 10 metres was ridiculous .
So so unprofessional from Merrett .
He was probably also at a loss that the KP sized overgrown midfielder just shot past him with no hope of catching him.

Whatever it was it was pretty embarrassing for Merrett .
For sure.

If he dons the Navy Blue next year though, all is forgiven/forgotten ;)

Back