Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I reckon Buckley's gone.

This round 15 deadline to 'get it right'.. they're calling it.. it's farcical.. doesn't appear to make sense to me other than that will give us a good coupla mths to get out and about and find the best bloke for the job.

The timing has got 'new coach' written all over it.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Unless there are residual concerns with his man management PYKE has the absolute stand out resume IMO.
Ticks every box, compared to riskier newbies.
Clarko is not gettable I suspect.

Was one of those boxes that Pyke ticks related to overseeing the destruction of the morale and subsequent immediate decline in on-field performance of a team that had just played in a Grand Final?

It's funny how easily things can be forgotten after a period of time, but from where I sit that one glaring red mark against him basically puts a line through his name immediately as potential head coach candidate at our club, given the morale problems we have internally at the moment.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Clarkson won't renege on his contract, unless Hawthorn push him out. He's made it clear that the Hawks gave him his chance when no other club would, that he owes them, so he'll be staying.

Mitchell is for Hawthorn. I thought that was understood by all and sundry.

Look further afield, for some brave soul who will happily chance their future with a suspect playing list.

Wouldn't be the first time Kennet has tried to push Clarko out the door as he (Kennet) doesn't like having a more influential figure at the club than hd is.

The difference this time is that they have an obvious successor in place and are rebuilding, so the stars may be aligning to get Clarko's big pay packet off the books and usher in a new era with a much more manageable Mitchell installed as coach.

Wouldn't be the first time Kennet has tried to push Clarko out the door as he (Kennet) doesn't like having a more influential figure at the club than hd is.

The difference this time is that they have an obvious successor in place and are rebuilding, so the stars may be aligning to get Clarko's big pay packet off the books and usher in a new era with a much more manageable Mitchell installed as coach.

Many things are possible under the sun.

I don't think Jeff will be pushing too hard against a bloke who has won them four flags. He knows that Clarkson is happy to exit the stage and make way for Mitchell, no need to heavy the man.

Even if the transition happened at the end of this season and Clarkson didn't feel obliged to offer Hawthorn his services in some way beyond this season, the question for Collingwood --and other prospective suitors-- is, would he really be inclined to slip into a new head coaching position in 2022?

After 17 seasons at Hawthorn, four flags and 17 years of senior coaching and all the angst which comes with it, does it seem likely that he'd be willing to take on another chapter without having a break from the game? Let alone the rebuilding of Collingwood and the heat and fury of that?

Seems unlikely, seems that Collingwood should invest its energy elsewhere, but many things are possible under the sun.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
I reckon Buckley's gone.

This round 15 deadline to 'get it right'.. they're calling it.. it's farcical.. doesn't appear to make sense to me other than that will give us a good coupla mths to get out and about and find the best bloke for the job.

The timing has got 'new coach' written all over it.
Not too sure about that Gimposs.
I'm inclined to read it that the club will genuinely be having a look at how Buckley goes about rebuilding from this situation... And may reappoint if they like what they see and can't find a better alternative available. I don't see us appointing a rookie coach like Mitchell. Ross Lyon is the man if we decide to part ways with Buckley at the end of this year.
If they give Buckley a 1 year extension... Clarko.in play!!!
2 years extension... They think Buckley's our man.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm inclined to read it that the club will genuinely be having a look at how Buckley goes about rebuilding from this situation... And may reappoint if they like what they see and can't find a better alternative available. I don't see us appointing a rookie coach like Mitchell. Ross Lyon is the man if we decide to part ways with Buckley at the end of this year.
Ross has certainly been greasing up to Ed recently defending him and his opinions. Pretty transparently sucking up, disappointing, thought Ross was tougher than that. His behaviour is a reason NOT to get the job. Pies need a 100% independent coach not swayed by what admin want to hear.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Contracts mean fck all these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood2022

Senior List
Mar 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ross has certainly been greasing up to Ed recently defending him and his opinions. Pretty transparently sucking up, disappointing, thought Ross was tougher than that. His behaviour is a reason NOT to get the job. Pies need a 100% independent coach not swayed by what admin want to hear.

Yes Lyon, whom I don't mind, does seem to have a cushy relationship with McGuire which would be a concern. However McGuire had a strong relationship with Malthouse and Malthouse was still able to be his own man. Possibly Lyon with his experience can do the same.

I'm not interested in waiting for the outside chance of getting Clarko at the end of 2022. The club needs to act in 2021 and action material change. Hence Buckley out and Lyon in would at end 2021 would be more than satisfactory.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes Lyon, whom I don't mind, does seem to have a cushy relationship with McGuire which would be a concern. However McGuire had a strong relationship with Malthouse and Malthouse was still able to be his own man. Possibly Lyon with his experience can do the same.

I'm not interested in waiting for the outside chance of getting Clarko at the end of 2022. The club needs to act in 2021 and action material change. Hence Buckley out and Lyon in would at end 2021 would be more than satisfactory.
Lyon does not strike me as a yes man. He will do what he thinks is best.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fremantle sacked Ross Lyon fairly recently, so genuinely curious why people want him? He’s always been defensively minded like bucks, doesn’t really suit today’s game.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Many things are possible under the sun.

I don't think Jeff will be pushing too hard against a bloke who has won them four flags. He knows that Clarkson is happy to exit the stage and make way for Mitchell, no need to heavy the man.

Even if the transition happened at the end of this season and Clarkson didn't feel obliged to offer Hawthorn his services in some way beyond this season, the question for Collingwood --and other prospective suitors-- is, would he really be inclined to slip into a new head coaching position in 2022?

After 17 seasons at Hawthorn, four flags and 17 years of senior coaching and all the angst which comes with it, does it seem likely that he'd be willing to take on another chapter without having a break from the game? Let alone the rebuilding of Collingwood and the heat and fury of that?

Seems unlikely, seems that Collingwood should invest its energy elsewhere, but many things are possible under the sun.
You underestimate the ego of the AFL coach.
And the drive.
Clarko would not hesitate in taking up another coaching position if offered, without taking a break. That’s the drive.
And his ego would place him at the front of the (very short) queue to take on the basket case that is Collingwood Football Club.
I believe he would even consider it a greater achievement than the 4 Hawk flags if he could take us from cellar to Premier.

Brodzingwood

Rookie
Apr 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do yourself a favour and watch Sam Mitchell on Box Hill Hawks videos when he is first introduced as coach and game day. Told me all I needed to know about him as a coach.

Buckley has been up and down with his coaching career from controlling one minute to being hands off the next to seemingly back to control of everything again. Thats a fair bit of grace in my book already it’s ‘your doing it wrong, so do it like this and it will work better’ he had to be told via an external review you need to change and to his credit he did but from afar he seems to have regressed back to what he knows. To me this goes against him that he needed the review to tell him what your doing right and wrong the good coaches don’t need that at all.

Sam Mitchell we need to go this way if we are going for change. Mitchell seems primed to take over from Clarkson so the time is now to force their hand as Clarkson will not yet step aside for him as a head coach leaving Mitchell getable but in 2-3 years time he will not be

You underestimate the ego of the AFL coach.
And the drive.
Clarko would not hesitate in taking up another coaching position if offered, without taking a break. That’s the drive.
And his ego would place him at the front of the (very short) queue to take on the basket case that is Collingwood Football Club.
I believe he would even consider it a greater achievement than the 4 Hawk flags if he could take us from cellar to Premier.

Not really, I've never made the mistake of underestimating someone's ego.

Nor does it take Al Clarkson's shrink to see that he's a driven bloke.

I know he'd love a new challenge, but I also know that his clear-headed appraisal of Collingwood's future prospects would be enough to give him pause, not least because taking the job would risk taking some gloss from his previous achievements.

His ego wouldn't like that at all.

Him and his ego would probably much prefer taking some time off and then fielding the other offers which will inevitably come his way in a season or two.

Daniel J

Rookie
May 1, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has been given long enough. Not even results wise. A decade of such a boring game plan and style.

What can the supporters who don't want him to sign on actually do apart from not renew memberships?

And yes say what you like about me not being a big footy veteran etc etc.

Frank lampard Chelsea favorite son didn't even last 2 years.

Supporters in support of Buckley can you please give a legit explanation why he should stay on.

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has been given long enough. Not even results wise. A decade of such a boring game plan and style.

What can the supporters who don't want him to sign on actually do apart from not renew memberships?

And yes say what you like about me not being a big footy veteran etc etc.

Frank lampard Chelsea favorite son didn't even last 2 years.

Supporters in support of Buckley can you please give a legit explanation why he should stay on.
Not much.

Don't renew your membership and then rejoin the back of the queue when the sun shines.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
us members should start rioting. brit members should start taking baths. aust members should start not drinking too much. brazilian members should stop shaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back