Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN had the promo at the time Murphy was joining the station.

"How about getting around this guy for a cuddle? Everyone's favorite captain, Bob Murphy".

No I don't want to cuddle him and he's never been my favorite captain in anything. Not even top 100 (which Captain Stubing comes in at 100).

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This.

It's the same as the hyping up Cyril or any other player in commentary. Just call the ****ing play and stop trying to tell us who we like.

p.s. I had to look up Stubing.
I really like Mundy but I'll take a crab juice 8 days a week over Bob Murphy and his denim jackets and his dreadful show on SEN with Andy Maher (dunno if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I'd rather listen to audio of my parents rooting than those two blabber on about bullshite)
I miss KB.
If Greene was played as a midfielder he would likely win a Brownlow medal.
Is that unpopular? I think he is universally revered as a player and anyone who has seen him in the middle would have to agree he was a good chance.

This was trialled in a NAB Cup years ago.

Footy has quirky rules about scoring. In any other game the post is just part of the goal. Soccer, rugby etc. it's either in or out and if it rebounds back into play then play continues.

Why do you need to kick the ball through the goals anyway? Why not handball or just run it through? Why does it matter who touched it last? In soccer the goalkeeper's job is to keep the ball out of the goal (hence the name), not touch it before it goes in. If you charge down a penalty kick in rugby and it wobbles over the bar it's still 3 points. In the unlikely event you tip a rebound attempt into the wrong hoop in basketball the score still counts.

But that's footy. People unfamiliar probably wonder why a player is allowed to run out of bounds and hold the ball in play, then bounce an oval ball on the grass, then punch the ball out of their palm to a teammate when throwing it is much simpler, for the player who gets it to kick towards the goals only for the opposition player to catch it and run through the goal...
That's If they could tell the difference between a handball and a throw
These days it's getting harder to tell

This is Part 2 of this thread.

Part 1 can be found here:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/what-unpopular-afl-opinions-do-you-have.956259/

=====================

Interested to hear some of the unpopular opinions people have and why.

For me:
1. I like Andrew Demitriou. I believe he has done a good job developing the game's brand. I like his no nonsense attitude in interviews.
2. I believe the games rules should be reviewed and sometimes changed. Players get better, coaches develop new tactics and strategies and so the game changes. Having a good institution to review the state of the game as a spectacle is healthy.
3.Lance Franklin isn't in the top few players in the league. That's not to say he couldn't become the very best player in the AFL. He misses too many easy goals. Anyone who has played sport knows that a failure to reward effort is deflating. He needs to become more accurate. This goes for all forwards - Kurt Tippett, Nick Riewoldt and our Lindsay Thomas of course.

He is clearly (suspected of being) responsible for GWS being the worst marketing disaster in AFL expansion history so North Melbourne can have someone to merge with if things don't work out for them. They pretended to consider moving to the Gold Coast and everything, after wearing that weird burnt orange, black and white jumper for a few games. It'll look like a prospectus to capitalize on a merger with a "better deal" than the previous one for a scrambled hack at a few flags in a sort period in someone's draw. That's why it's been the most BORING expansion to date. STILL SNORING.

I think matches should be played in 6 terms of 13:20 plus time on, with 5 minutes between terms and 15 minutes for half time to eliminate the term "gut running" from the sport. Hasn't anyone listened to any of the boring OH&S stuff that has been gently pummelled into people over the last 25 years. If what you're doing isn't a problem really, but you have a few nagging issues, TAKE MORE FREQUENT REST BREAKS.

6 terms of 13:20 plus time on means 6 periods of around 20 minutes elapsed time per game. That is more like the original native sport anyway.

Even more perfect for TV than the original center bounce after a goal long ad'. Each term could be uninterrupted on Free-To-Air and they would still get their ad quota in.

Respect your opinion but... would ruin it.
Not necessarily - The history of the ANZAC day game shows that regardless of who plays there is typically a large crowd involved and the 'Collingwood VS Essendon' ANZAC day game wasn't 'tradition' until 1995 when it was first played.

Carlton vs Essendon had 77,780 in 1975 and Richmond vs Collingwood in 1976 had a crowd of 92,426, both of which were not 'official' ANZAC day headliners and only one of those teams in either year even made finals so it wasn't a 'bandwaggoning' support crowd.

I can also be fairly certain that you would get 30,000 - 40,000 people rock up regardless of team support, as a way of celebrating and/or paying tribute on ANZAC day as myself and many friends have done countless years.

If the last 3 ANZAC day games had been: West Coast vs Collingwood, Richmond vs GWS, and Richmond VS Geelong, I think crowd and atmosphere would be as good, if not better.

Not necessarily - The history of the ANZAC day game shows that regardless of who plays there is typically a large crowd involved and the 'Collingwood VS Essendon' ANZAC day game wasn't 'tradition' until 1995 when it was first played.

Carlton vs Essendon had 77,780 in 1975 and Richmond vs Collingwood in 1976 had a crowd of 92,426, both of which were not 'official' ANZAC day headliners and only one of those teams in either year even made finals so it wasn't a 'bandwaggoning' support crowd.

I can also be fairly certain that you would get 30,000 - 40,000 people rock up regardless of team support, as a way of celebrating and/or paying tribute on ANZAC day as myself and many friends have done countless years.

If the last 3 ANZAC day games had been: West Coast vs Collingwood, Richmond vs GWS, and Richmond VS Geelong, I think crowd and atmosphere would be as good, if not better.

If you changed the teams every year no way the crowd numbers stay up, zero chance, also are you playing it at the G every year or is the venue changing as well?

If you changed the teams every year no way the crowd numbers stay up, zero chance, also are you playing it at the G every year or is the venue changing as well?
I think you're saying this on the back of being an Essendon supporter, which I probably would as well if the tables were turned, but the history of games played on ANZAC day show that crowds come in masses regardless.
I'm all for changing the Grand Final to the home teams ground but I think in this instance most would agree that the MCG is the perfect ground for the ANZAC day tribute match.

I'm all for changing the Grand Final to the home teams ground but I think in this instance most would agree that the MCG is the perfect ground for the ANZAC day tribute match.
Interesting... issue is, imagine a West Coast v P.A. grand final, and they're flying to the MCG to play in front of people who don't care for either.

I think you're saying this on the back of being an Essendon supporter, which I probably would as well if the tables were turned, but the history of games played on ANZAC day show that crowds come in masses regardless.

I disagree, I strongly believe that if the clubs changed every year there is no chance the games continue to draw the same number of people it does now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting... issue is, imagine a West Coast v P.A. grand final, and they're flying to the MCG to play in front of people who don't care for either.

Yeah, its for that reason I'm OK with Collingwood and Essendon to play at the G on ANZAC day, but the ANZAC medal should not just belong to that game.

Yeah, its for that reason I'm OK with Collingwood and Essendon to play at the G on ANZAC day, but the ANZAC medal should not just belong to that game.
Oh interesting. Don't mind that either! Personally I don't really care for what happens regarding the game, I'm generally all in favour of initiatives that support the smaller clubs.

We should allow players to run without the need to take a bounce. The running bounce is another inconvenience in an already complicated game that the players have to contend with. Do away with the bounce and watch those players run for lives!!
The Bounce along with kicking an odd shaped ball is what makes our game great .
Anyone who's tried to do it knows how hard it is and therefore appreciates watching these guys do it at full pace while being chased .

Taylah Harris has overtaken Moana Hope as Australia's most overrated and overhyped sportsperson.

Shr does not deserve the six figure sum her manager is spruiking.

Maybe if she concentrated in improving her footy and actually be a role-model for her younger peers at the club, then maybe the club would have considered the offer seriously. Instead, all she cares is about her followers on Instagram and becoming the most overrated and controversial football player in the Women's league like seriously, how the hell did she get a bronze statue of her in the first place like WTF, she isn't even in the best 5-10 players at her club, let alone the league itself. Sounds like such a big-head person from the outside and doesn't deserve the amount of media attention she gets.

I hope Carlton reject that offer and stick with the current contract, just for a slice of humble pie for her cause boy she needs it. I'm glad now Brisbane got rid of her as soon as a flash because she could have pretty much destroyed our club with her insane contract requirements that her manager has asked for, even though her playing ability is probably average at best. Much more better players at the club and around the league, that deserve that paycheck unlike Harris herself.

We should allow players to run without the need to take a bounce. The running bounce is another inconvenience in an already complicated game that the players have to contend with. Do away with the bounce and watch those players run for lives!!
Having to handball is an inconvenience (which some clubs have done away with), so why not do away with it and just let them throw to their heart's content!

Imagine the Pies list manager's face when that rule is brought it. Grundy's already way overs contract suddenly becomes twice as bad when stoppages halve.

Would else ruin the value of people like Cripps who thrive in stoppage.
oh well.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed, there should also be three games on ANZAC Day in different states like this year with staggered start times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back