No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How easy is it to be a player manager - just leak to a gullible media person like Tony Shaw that Collingwood are after him and confident of getting him and then hey presto sign an 8 year contract!

I remember Ed whining over a decade ago about Collingwood getting Jono Brown a shiny new multi-year contract. After Collingwood were leaked to be "talking to him".

Why change up the classics I guess?

I remember Ed whining over a decade ago about Collingwood getting Jono Brown a shiny new multi-year contract. After Collingwood were leaked to be "talking to him".

Why change up the classics I guess?
from 2013 to 2016 player managers would just ring the Purple Flog and tell him Hawthorn were chasing their player and 5 minutes later the club would announce a massive new contract

I'm not a fan of that any contract extension length over 2 years- that could just be being used to how Hawthorn does it but I don't think it makes sense to. The meta changes slightly every 3-4 years and dramatically every 5-6 I'd say. Given his current form I can see why they'd sign him up for so long but I can definitely see this being the kind of deal that causes mad headaches before long.

Richmond fans would be thankful you weren't list manger in 2018 when Dusty was out of contract.

I'm not a fan of that any contract extension length over 2 years- that could just be being used to how Hawthorn does it but I don't think it makes sense to. The meta changes slightly every 3-4 years and dramatically every 5-6 I'd say. Given his current form I can see why they'd sign him up for so long but I can definitely see this being the kind of deal that causes mad headaches before long.
Agreed. Look at all the ridiculously long multi year deals that have been given out and none of them outside of one look to be smart. Out of Buddy, Dusty, Grundy, Kelly, Coniglio, Whitfield who've signed long multi year deals I'd say only Dusty looks to have been worth it. You'd assume that Bontempelli will sign a similar type deal to Petracca which wouldn't surprise me at all and for whatever reason it seems these days a teams star player is demanding a bigger a piece of the pie.

Not too many players who play more than a few good years of football
getting a mill a year based on the few good years is great for the player and manager

Petracca will be 33 before the beginning of the last season of his contract. Has been very durable, with no major injuries until now, and it's only 8 more years till 2029. What could go wrong?

Admittedly he is signing to get premierships, but so was Buddy! Actually wouldn't mind if they derailed the Tiggers ThreePeat.

Petracca will be 33 before the beginning of the last season of his contract. Has been very durable, with no major injuries until now, and it's only 8 more years till 2029. What could go wrong?

Admittedly he is signing to get premierships, but so was Buddy! Actually wouldn't mind if they derailed the Tiggers ThreePeat.
Had an ACL in his first pre-season which made him miss his first year.

Birchall played 240 games in 11 years at an average of 21.8 games a year, played 8 games over the next 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane medicos working wonders.
Birch got fit in his last year with us. He then pinged a hammy late in the year. He then pinged his hammy in the last training session prior to Brisbane playing us in round 1 last year and would have missed 6 or so games. COVID hit he got a big break and hasn’t looked back since.

Birch got fit in his last year with us. He then pinged a hammy late in the year. He then pinged his hammy in the last training session prior to Brisbane playing us in round 1 last year and would have missed 6 or so games. COVID hit he got a big break and hasn’t looked back since.
He’s not exactly streaming out of defence and banging it 60m down the ground anymore. He plays within his bodies limitations now and is purely in the lion’s defence for structural/experience purposes. Lions have the talent to cover and at the hawks he would of been stretched and got nowhere near as many games. But would've still given him,Hodge,Lewis or Mitchell an extra couple of years instead of the deadwood we kept.

Last edited:
He’s not exactly streaming out of defence and banging it 60m down the ground anymore. He plays within his bodies limitations now and is purely in the lion’s defence for structural/experience purposes. Lions have the talent to cover and at the hawks he would of been stretched and got nowhere near as many games. But would still given him,hodge,Lewis or Mitchell an extra couple of years instead of the deadwood we kept.
only gets a game because of his name and who the coach is, big mistake to let Witherden walk for Birchall taking his spot

Jesus, no. It was only "more interesting" to Geelong fans cause they won more. Otherwise the games this year are significantly more interesting to watch than last year!

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
He's dreamin'. No one in their right mind would think last year's games were more interesting than this year's.

It's simple. Geelong's aging list isn't as competitive with normal game times. It's the usual transparnt effort to swing an advantage to the cats.

Ok the AFL website is saying that Kosi Pickett is already better than Rioli - Don't get me wrong, Kosi is an amazing talent but seriously - 4 time premiership player Norm Smith medallist and did those freakish things which such regularity over an entire career not just 5 games absolute bollocks to compare them.

Mind you if Melbourne balls up their payment structure and he Kosi wants and deserves more they are giving him when his next contract comes along I am more than happy for us to grab him and stick put him in our forward line.

Ok the AFL website is saying that Kosi Pickett is already better than Rioli - Don't get me wrong, Kosi is an amazing talent but seriously - 4 time premiership player Norm Smith medallist and did those freakish things which such regularity over an entire career not just 5 games absolute bollocks to compare them.

Mind you if Melbourne balls up their payment structure and he Kosi wants and deserves more they are giving him when his next contract comes along I am more than happy for us to grab him and stick put him in our forward line.
Just because they are aboriginal they should not be compared all the time. Why not compare Pickett to Milne? See how Pickett goes when the team is struggling as well. Very early call from afl.com.au

Laughable unless they're referring to Daniel Rioli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back