Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. I dare say Lazarro's running power would have caught the eye also.

His mark and instant burst earned us a goal on the weekend imo. Had he not back himself the space forward wouldve closed. Im not sure where his ceiling is but he looks to have the fire to succeed, the type hell bent on getting every ounce out of himself.

His mark and instant burst earned us a goal on the weekend imo. Had he not back himself the space forward wouldve closed. Im not sure where his ceiling is but he looks to have the fire to succeed, the type hell bent on getting every ounce out of himself.

It would have stood out at under 18 level. Nick Daicos is basically an upgrade on Chuck's skill set.

Many were lamenting that our highest pick since the Wells draft was in a year where the Vic kids got limited/no exposure and no U18's Championship.

In hindsight, had the Vic kids played and the U18 Champs happened there's a really good chance we don't end up with Powell and Jacob Edwards would currently be on another AFL list instead of us potentially grabbing him in the MSD.
Hey Soup , a mate of mine who is in recruiting says that he could see Chesser going in the top 3 . Would that come as a complete surprise?

Bloody hard but I'll give it a shot.

These are the 5 I ranked highest based on how I felt about them by the end of their draft year (which I can't do with Horne yet but I'll do anyway...):

1. Walsh
2. Horne
3. Rowell
4. LDU
5. Brayshaw

Phillips could have snuck in had he played in his draft year and impressed by building on his excellent underage year. I had Powell as the 2nd best midfielder in last year's draft but I didn't expect him to come on as quickly as he has - not being able to see him at an Under 18's championship also affected my perspective on how much better he was than others the same age.

I had LDU rated #1 in his draft and to this day I will say that he's the most natural footballer I've seen at under 18's level. Note this isn't necessarily 'best', but his kicking technique, handballing, movement in traffic, running gait etc. are textbook. I'm still of the opinion that he's our best mid and if he continues to improve he's our most realistic chance at becoming a Bontempelli/Martin/Petracca level of elite.

Hated Rayner as a top 15 selection. Wasn't huge on Bailey Smith or Cerra - I didn't hate them, but had them ~5 spots lower than most others - they've definitely been better then I thought.

EDIT: Swapped Rowell and Walsh

Thanks greatly.

If Horne is better than Rowell - good times are coming

SANFL Under-18 SuperRankings: Top 50 performers by ranking points
An SA midfielder was overlooked for the AFL Academy game, but he’s been dominant at under-18 level. These are the top 50 performers after five rounds.

Matt Turner and Jordan Pinto

3 min read
May 5, 2021 - 6:51AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

A South Adelaide player has further staked his draft claims after being snubbed from the AFL Academy game.

Midfielder/forward Arlo Draper impressed with 23 disposals in the Panthers’ 56-point SANFL under-18 win over Norwood at home on Saturday.

A week earlier, the Willunga product contributed three goals, 24 disposals and six clearance in South’s three-point victory against Central District.

That display came on the same day the academy side was in Victoria playing Geelong’s VFL team and helped him earn the competition’s Most Valuable Player award for the round.

Before that, Draper kicked two majors and collected 22 touches and four clearances in a 16-point loss to Woodville-West Torrens.

Top SA draft prospect Arlo Draper, left, has starred in the opening rounds of the SANFL under-18 season. Picture: Morgan Sette/The Advertiser

Top SA draft prospect Arlo Draper, left, has starred in the opening rounds of the SANFL under-18 season. Picture: Morgan Sette/The Advertiser

Those three performances have helped rocket Draper up the Champion Data points rankings in the SANFL under-18s.

After sitting 14th two rounds into the season, the 185cm talent is now third with an average of 136 points.

Panthers coach Mark Clayton said Draper was unlucky not to be selected for the academy match.

“I had a recruiter text me last week to say he thought he was unlucky as well,” Clayton said

“But I don’t think it’ll affect the result at the end of the year, whether he gets picks up or not – he’s shown enough over the last two years and he’s got enough attributes.

“He’s been playing good footy.

“He’s been working hard, he’s got really good speed, good agility, good acceleration out of stoppage, his midfield stuff is all right and he can go forward and kick goals.”

Hard-running South Adelaide midfielder Matthew Roberts tops the rankings, enhancing his first-round condentials further with a huge performance against Norwood on Saturday.

Roberts, who played in the Academy side against the Cats reserves, tallied 34 disposals, 17 contested possessions, 11 score involvements, nine tackles and a remarkable 240 ranking points in the 56-point win.

It follows the 183cm onballer’s 175-point performance in Round 1

In the same game, amid the Panthers’ attacking onslaught, Norwood defender Matthew Dnistriansky stood tall, bolting into the No. 6 spot in the rankings after finishing with 27 disposals, 10 rebound-50s and 189 points.

SANFL UNDER-18S WEEK 5 SUPER RANKINGS
Ranking, Player, Club, CD Position, 2021 Games, 2021 Ave. KFC SuperCoach Points
1. Matthew Roberts (South Adelaide), MID, 3 games, 201 points
2. Hugh Jackson (North Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 137 points
3. Arlo Draper (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 136 points
4. Blayne O’Loughlin (North Adelaide), DEF, 3 games, 136 points
5. Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 136 points
6. Matthew Dnistriansky (Norwood), DEF, 5 games, 130 points
7. Isaiah Dudley (Central District), MID/FWD, 5 games, 128 points
8. Cade Kennedy (West Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 127 points
9. Brad Jefferies (Sturt), MID, 4 games, 123 points
10. Lewis Rayson (Glenelg), DEF, 4 games, 123 points
11. Zyton Santillo (North Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 121 points
12. Lukas Cooke (Woodville-West Torrens), FWD, 4 games, 120 points
13. Dylan White (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 119 points
14. Shay Linke (Central District), MID, 3 games, 119 points
15. Angus Bradley (South Adelaide), FWD, 3 games, 118 points
16. Jack Harding (Glenelg), DEF, 4 games, 118 points
17. Adam D’Aloia (Woodville-West Torrens), MID, 5 games, 117 points
18. Mattaes Phillipou (Woodville-West Torrens), MID, 4 games, 114 points
19. Charlie Pridham (West Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 113 points
20. Jacob Owens (Glenelg), MID, 4 games, 111 points
21. Brock Thomson (Woodville-West Torrens), DEF, 5 games, 111 points
22. Bailey Pilmore (South Adelaide), FWD, 3 games, 110 points
23. Harry Tunkin (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 110 points
24. Harvey Harrison (North Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 107 points
25. Luke Young (West Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 107 points
26. Luke Mitton (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 104 points
27. Kane Viska (Glenelg), DEF, 3 games, 104 points
28. Nick Sadler (Sturt), MID, 3 games, 103 points
29. Cooper Rogers (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 102 points
30. Hugh Stagg (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 102 points
31. Hunter Window (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 102 points
32. Jack Harding (Glenelg), FWD, 5 games, 102 points
33. Zac Becker (Sturt), DEF, 4 games, 100 points
34. Darcy Gluyas (Glenelg), MID, 3 games, 99 points
35. Jamie Taylor (Sturt), MID, 4 games, 99 points
36. James Willis (North Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 99 points
37. Koby Cockshell (South Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 98 points
38. Jayden Gale (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 98 points
39. Cody Gilchrist (Central), FWD, 5 games, 98 points
40. Lachlan Hayes (South Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 98 points
41. Alastair Lord (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 98 points
42. Dayne McGary (Glenelg), DEF, 3 games, 98 points
43. Ruben Carreno (Central District), DEF, 5 games, 97 points
44. Jordan Hein (Sturt), DEF, 5 games, 96 games
45. Jack Ianniello (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 95 points
46. Max Blacker (North Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 94 points
47. Isaac Birt (South Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 93 points
48. Cormac Dwyer (Sturt), MID, 3 games, 93 points
49. Shaun Bennier (North Adelaide), DEF, 3 games, 92 points
50. Tyson Coe (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 92 points

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/what...s/news-story/9cc63e829df5a60907dbf0df5a1b53c2

SANFL Under-18 SuperRankings: Top 50 performers by ranking points
An SA midfielder was overlooked for the AFL Academy game, but he’s been dominant at under-18 level. These are the top 50 performers after five rounds.

Matt Turner and Jordan Pinto

3 min read
May 5, 2021 - 6:51AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

A South Adelaide player has further staked his draft claims after being snubbed from the AFL Academy game.

Midfielder/forward Arlo Draper impressed with 23 disposals in the Panthers’ 56-point SANFL under-18 win over Norwood at home on Saturday.

A week earlier, the Willunga product contributed three goals, 24 disposals and six clearance in South’s three-point victory against Central District.

That display came on the same day the academy side was in Victoria playing Geelong’s VFL team and helped him earn the competition’s Most Valuable Player award for the round.

Before that, Draper kicked two majors and collected 22 touches and four clearances in a 16-point loss to Woodville-West Torrens.

Those three performances have helped rocket Draper up the Champion Data points rankings in the SANFL under-18s.

After sitting 14th two rounds into the season, the 185cm talent is now third with an average of 136 points.

Panthers coach Mark Clayton said Draper was unlucky not to be selected for the academy match.

“I had a recruiter text me last week to say he thought he was unlucky as well,” Clayton said

“But I don’t think it’ll affect the result at the end of the year, whether he gets picks up or not – he’s shown enough over the last two years and he’s got enough attributes.

“He’s been playing good footy.

“He’s been working hard, he’s got really good speed, good agility, good acceleration out of stoppage, his midfield stuff is all right and he can go forward and kick goals.”

Hard-running South Adelaide midfielder Matthew Roberts tops the rankings, enhancing his first-round condentials further with a huge performance against Norwood on Saturday.

Roberts, who played in the Academy side against the Cats reserves, tallied 34 disposals, 17 contested possessions, 11 score involvements, nine tackles and a remarkable 240 ranking points in the 56-point win.

It follows the 183cm onballer’s 175-point performance in Round 1

In the same game, amid the Panthers’ attacking onslaught, Norwood defender Matthew Dnistriansky stood tall, bolting into the No. 6 spot in the rankings after finishing with 27 disposals, 10 rebound-50s and 189 points.

SANFL UNDER-18S WEEK 5 SUPER RANKINGS
Ranking, Player, Club, CD Position, 2021 Games, 2021 Ave. KFC SuperCoach Points
1. Matthew Roberts (South Adelaide), MID, 3 games, 201 points
2. Hugh Jackson (North Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 137 points
3. Arlo Draper (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 136 points
4. Blayne O’Loughlin (North Adelaide), DEF, 3 games, 136 points
5. Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 136 points
6. Matthew Dnistriansky (Norwood), DEF, 5 games, 130 points
7. Isaiah Dudley (Central District), MID/FWD, 5 games, 128 points
8. Cade Kennedy (West Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 127 points
9. Brad Jefferies (Sturt), MID, 4 games, 123 points
10. Lewis Rayson (Glenelg), DEF, 4 games, 123 points
11. Zyton Santillo (North Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 121 points
12. Lukas Cooke (Woodville-West Torrens), FWD, 4 games, 120 points
13. Dylan White (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 119 points
14. Shay Linke (Central District), MID, 3 games, 119 points
15. Angus Bradley (South Adelaide), FWD, 3 games, 118 points
16. Jack Harding (Glenelg), DEF, 4 games, 118 points
17. Adam D’Aloia (Woodville-West Torrens), MID, 5 games, 117 points
18. Mattaes Phillipou (Woodville-West Torrens), MID, 4 games, 114 points
19. Charlie Pridham (West Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 113 points
20. Jacob Owens (Glenelg), MID, 4 games, 111 points
21. Brock Thomson (Woodville-West Torrens), DEF, 5 games, 111 points
22. Bailey Pilmore (South Adelaide), FWD, 3 games, 110 points
23. Harry Tunkin (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 110 points
24. Harvey Harrison (North Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 107 points
25. Luke Young (West Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 107 points
26. Luke Mitton (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 104 points
27. Kane Viska (Glenelg), DEF, 3 games, 104 points
28. Nick Sadler (Sturt), MID, 3 games, 103 points
29. Cooper Rogers (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 102 points
30. Hugh Stagg (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 102 points
31. Hunter Window (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 102 points
32. Jack Harding (Glenelg), FWD, 5 games, 102 points
33. Zac Becker (Sturt), DEF, 4 games, 100 points
34. Darcy Gluyas (Glenelg), MID, 3 games, 99 points
35. Jamie Taylor (Sturt), MID, 4 games, 99 points
36. James Willis (North Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 99 points
37. Koby Cockshell (South Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 98 points
38. Jayden Gale (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 98 points
39. Cody Gilchrist (Central), FWD, 5 games, 98 points
40. Lachlan Hayes (South Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 98 points
41. Alastair Lord (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 98 points
42. Dayne McGary (Glenelg), DEF, 3 games, 98 points
43. Ruben Carreno (Central District), DEF, 5 games, 97 points
44. Jordan Hein (Sturt), DEF, 5 games, 96 games
45. Jack Ianniello (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 95 points
46. Max Blacker (North Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 94 points
47. Isaac Birt (South Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 93 points
48. Cormac Dwyer (Sturt), MID, 3 games, 93 points
49. Shaun Bennier (North Adelaide), DEF, 3 games, 92 points
50. Tyson Coe (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 92 points

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/whatsapp://send?text=AFL Draft 2021: Top SA prospects, SANFL stats, Matthew Roberts, Blayne O’Loughlin, Arlo Draper - https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sanfl-under18-superrankings-top-50-performers-by-ranking-points/news-story/9cc63e829df5a60907dbf0df5a1b53c2

No Jason Horne. Delist.

How many folks won't work out that this is a joke?

No Jason Horne. Delist.

How many folks won't work out that this is a joke?

No point playing in the u18 as we already know he'd smash it like he's done in previous years. He'll be learning plenty playing against the men in the league.

Last edited:
Given we're in a serious re-build, its clear that we should trade out next years first round pick (perhaps to be 5-8) for another first rounder this year around the same mark. Two top ten picks would complement our draft hand from 2020.
In 2022 we could then go for a free agent.

People were suggesting we do that last year and look how that would have turned out. It could end up being a pick in the 5-8 range, but there is also a good chance it is in the 1-2 range. Until we actually show improvement and move up the ladder, I wouldn’t be trading any future first round picks.

I think a better option would be to package up 2 second rounders and move up to a mid first round pick.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

People were suggesting we do that last year and look how that would have turned out. It could end up being a pick in the 5-8 range, but there is also a good chance it is in the 1-2 range. Until we actually show improvement and move up the ladder, I wouldn’t be trading any future first round picks.

I think a better option would be to package up 2 second rounders and move up to a mid first round pick.

Yeah hold on to ‘22 first rounder and if we still want to trade it wait till 22 season then we’ll know what we’re trading

Yeah hold on to ‘22 first rounder and if we still want to trade it wait till 22 season then we’ll know what we’re trading

I am all for fast tracking where possible, but I don’t want us to be reckless or cut corners in the process. If this rebuild has to take longer to have more chance of being successful then so be it.

I am all for fast tracking where possible, but I don’t want us to be reckless or cut corners in the process. If this rebuild has to take longer to have more chance of being successful then so be it.

Have a feeling there will be considerable trade action this year after listening to both Blakey on SEN and something noble said.... don't think we will trade out our 21 as it will be pretty high but 22 might be at risk.... there is plenty out there that are out of contract.... but the ones you want would consume picks and high picks..... hmac cerra Bolton weidemann to name a few....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a feeling there will be considerable trade action this year after listening to both Blakey on SEN and something noble said.... don't think we will trade out our 21 as it will be pretty high but 22 might be at risk.... there is plenty out there that are out of contract.... but the ones you want would consume picks and high picks..... hmac cerra Bolton weidemann to name a few....

They've (Noble, Rawlings, Clayton & Luff) indicated that draft is the number 1 priority this year, so I highly doubt any trades will implicate our picks.

If Melbourne expects a first-round pick for Weideman, they need to start playing him. Instead, they are preferring a bloke that they were only prepared to trade for a late second rounder.

Yeah I just can’t imagine us trading out first round picks for players in the early stages of a rebuild. The only out of contract player I would give up next years first for is H. McKay and signing him is a pipe dream.

AFL draft 2021: Claremont’s Jacob van Rooyen to be rested after glandular fever diagnosis

“Claremont are erring on the side of caution with young gun Jacob van Rooyen after he was diagnosed with glandular fever.

The first-round AFL draft fancy was rested from the Tigers’ most recent win over West Perth at Revo Fitness Stadium on Saturday and is expected to sit out the next two weekends.

The West Australian understands the 18-year-old is at the back-end of his illness and has a doctor’s approval to return to the field.

...Van Rooyen had been feeling unusually fatigued since just before his training stint with Fremantle last month, which saw him miss one of the two sessions, but initially thought it was tonsillitis.”

“Claremont are erring on the side of caution with young gun Jacob van Rooyen after he was diagnosed with glandular fever.

The first-round AFL draft fancy was rested from the Tigers’ most recent win over West Perth at Revo Fitness Stadium on Saturday and is expected to sit out the next two weekends.

The West Australian understands the 18-year-old is at the back-end of his illness and has a doctor’s approval to return to the field.

...Van Rooyen had been feeling unusually fatigued since just before his training stint with Fremantle last month, which saw him miss one of the two sessions, but initially thought it was tonsillitis.”

Editor's notes before this one went to print:

"West Coast Claremont are erring on the side of caution with young gun Jacob van Rooyen..."

Editor's notes before this one went to print:

"West Coast Claremont are erring on the side of caution with young gun Jacob van Rooyen..."

Reads more Freo, Claremont are aligned with them plus he trained with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back