North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically speaking (and I doubt it will happen) will the shame and stigma of being the first team to go winless throughout a season in over 50 years or so really worth a Priority Pick (even if it is pick 2)

Think North will end up eventually winning 4 games or so (will be a lot more competitive in second half of a season), just flabbergasted it seems some North fans want them to not win game this season

I do agree that North probably does deserve some kind of draft assistance, given they never have had handouts before, but it shouldn't come down to a situation where supporters are actively hoping their team loses/doesn't win.

Under the old PP system, us (Carlton supporters) did that, but in terms of culture and success, it all amounted to zilch in the end.

Be careful what you wish for

Hypothetically speaking (and I doubt it will happen) will the shame and stigma of being the first team to go winless throughout a season in over 50 years or so really worth a Priority Pick (even if it is pick 2)

Think North will end up eventually winning 4 games or so (will be a lot more competitive in second half of a season), just flabbergasted it seems some North fans want them to not win game this season

I do agree that North probably does deserve some kind of draft assistance, given they never have had handouts before, but it shouldn't come down to a situation where supporters are actively hoping their team loses/doesn't win.

Under the old PP system, us (Carlton supporters) did that, but in terms of culture and success, it all amounted to zilch in the end.

This is an extremely small minority of North fans, albeit a very vocal and very stupid minority.

I think you'll find most would be happy with a few wins this season while giving the kids a good run. Good development of young players will always be more valuable then draft picks.

Brad Scott was a good coach who got North into a Preliminary Final.

And history could say that he didn't leave the club's list in good nick, but I cannot really fault him and North trying to have a red hot crack at a flag with limited resources (compared to other clubs)

Think the one thing that marred his time as North coach was the haphazard way he handled Brent Harvey's 'retirement'

Sacking a club champion and fan favourite in Boomer was something he should have handled better.
Make that two preliminary finals, in a row. Four finals wins, across two years. Followed by a 9-0 start (10-1), in 2016.

There's no easy way to call time, on a 38 year old, 432 gamer.

Yeah it was a hard decision on telling Brent harvey to Retire.

I seriously hoped he was going to play on in 2017. I really wanted him to make it to 450 games.

Tarrant, McDonald, Corr, Anderson, Dumont, LDU, Polec plus two more super kids in Perez and Comben all missing from last weeks match.

I want us to win this week but no more serious injuries and continuity with the kids is more important this season than a few meaningless wins on the back of Goldy and Cunners and rest of the older crew. If the kids are dragging us over the line Tom Powell-styles (or at least attempting in game 6) than all is well, I’m pretty comfortable with where we are at, how the coach is going, the footy we are trying to play.

Again, talk of a juicy compensation pick is specific to a Dumont where ordinarily we could expect band 4 but the AFL in their ‘wisdom’ decide it’s band 2 or 3 etc I see that as a huge difference to receiving pick 2 because you’re hopeless and getting worse.

North have actually got a lot of quality young players coming through. They will be a good side in about 3-4 years when those players mature. They looked like they were going to beat Melbourne. Was leading right up until the 4th quarter. Don't need a PP because it's not distarous for them right now.

A PP should only go to a side that is in a distaster state. A side that will be struggling for next 5 years onwards without help.

I don't believe Kangas will be bad over the next 5 seasons so no priority pick.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Tarrant, McDonald, Corr, Anderson, Dumont, LDU, Polec plus two more super kids in Perez and Comben all missing from last weeks match.

I want us to win this week but no more serious injuries and continuity with the kids is more important this season than a few meaningless wins on the back of Goldy and Cunners and rest of the older crew. If the kids are dragging us over the line Tom Powell-styles (or at least attempting in game 6) than all is well, I’m pretty comfortable with where we are at, how the coach is going, the footy we are trying to play.

Again, talk of a juicy compensation pick is specific to a Dumont where ordinarily we could expect band 4 but the AFL in their ‘wisdom’ decide it’s band 2 or 3 etc I see that as a huge difference to receiving pick 2 because you’re hopeless and getting worse.

The AFL and their very vague criteria about Priority (and FA compo for that matter) Picks is infuriating.

I think there was massive media pressure (and criticsm) of the Gold Coast Suns at the time which forced the AFL to act.

Basically their ' rescue package/Priority Pick(s)' was all about a hard reset/restart of an expansion. club in a crucial catchment area for the AFL.

At this stage, an end of first round pick is About the best North can hope for, even if you win only 3 games or less.

I do not necessarily agree with it, based on the current criteria as we understand it, North will not get pick 2 either.

The AFL will point to last year's wooden spooners The Crows, who also never has a PP and didn't ask for one. I am sure that is how the power brokers at the AFL will spin it anyway.

I think for a game or two, well pies and hawks blew some big leads in games to ensure they still got a PP in 2005.

Difference was they had played finals or at least been decent sides a couple of years prior, by the time of 2007 we had no winning culture or resilience built by the criticism which comes when you are working to win every week. I’d say a clear directive to Ratts 6 games end of 07 (when we sacked Pagan) was to ensure we don’t win any but be sorta competitive.

Melbourne in 2009 was what other sides had done previously extrapolated to basically a season spent trying to ensure they got a priority pick and got comically blatant.

Very glad the priority picks are gone, they were a blight on the game, and Terry Wallace spoke about the conundrum in the last round of 2007, when he just didn’t make any moves neither to help or hinder as they would lose a 2nd round PP if they won. (Which netted them Rance)

This is an extremely small minority of North fans, albeit a very vocal and very stupid minority.

I think you'll find most would be happy with a few wins this season while giving the kids a good run. Good development of young players will always be more valuable then draft picks.

I often thinks fans say stuff like that so they don’t feel disappointed if they lose

Yeah it was a hard decision on telling Brent harvey to Retire.

I seriously hoped he was going to play on in 2017. I really wanted him to make it to 450 games.

I don’t understand why they did retire him, still one of your best 5 players.

We have a real ageist mentality in the AFL, why retire one of your best players? If he was declining and keeping a young guy out id get it, but he wasn’t.

One might argue cutting half your list at once is tanking.

As mentioned earlier that list was good enough for three wins last year. I doubt any of the delisted players would make much difference

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As mentioned earlier that list was good enough for three wins last year. I doubt any of the delisted players would make much difference

a lot of clubs cut their lists pretty deeply last year too not just North
Injuries are making the recruitment decisions look worse than what they were

I've got some bad news if you think any of those games are winnable.

Your opposition won't hit above $1.10 odds for the rest of the season.
Disagree hawks are playing like s**t, I’d be surprised is we were shorter than 1.50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North just led the best side in the comp by 3 goals at half time, they will win games as long as they don't get more injuries. As for a PP I could see them getting an end of first round pick if they don't win more than 1 or 2.

McMillian and Marley Williams could have contributed to North this season I would have thought.

Carlton made a similar cull in Bolton's first two years as coach (to rectify MM's **** ups) and all we got was access to state league players on our list (one of which was traded to Adelaide)

I don't dispute North need a leg up with draft assistance, unfortunately I don't think the AFL or Gi will see it that way.

McMillian and Marley Williams could have contributed to North this season I would have thought.

Carlton made a similar cull in Bolton's first two years as coach (to rectify MM's **** ups) and all we got was access to state league players on our list (one of which was traded to Adelaide)

I don't dispute North need a leg up with draft assistance, unfortunately I don't think the AFL or Gi will see it that way.
If Macmillan and Williams were playing then Bonar may not have got the opportunity to show how good he could be at half-back this season and Bosenavulagi probably wouldn't have moved to defence, where he has looked promising. I know which I'd rather.

I’d give you McMillan but Williams was objectively horrid last year

If Macmillan and Williams were playing then Bonar may not have got the opportunity to show how good he could be at half-back this season and Bosenavulagi probably wouldn't have moved to defence, where he has looked promising. I know which I'd rather.
Lol macmillan is a hack

We had a pretty difficult start to the season, playing four of the top five teams, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Port and Geelong in the first seven weeks. That along with being in year one of a list rebuild and a diabolical injury list that included last years B&F winner and another 4 or 5 who finished in the top 10 and we were always going to struggle in the first couple of months.

We get a chance to over the next three weeks when we play the other three in the bottom four, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon, if we can win a couple of these before the troops begin to return then perhaps we are not in the deep dark hole some people believe we are in. If we don't show any improvement and lose all three, injuries or not, I would be seriously discussing the possibility of applying for a Priority Pick.

Lol macmillan is a hack

He gave you club years of loyal and gritty service. Every footy club needs and has those type of players (McIntosh at Richmond for one)

Yes he was the hardly the most talented or gifted player in the world, but he gave it all to The Shinboners every game he played.

He gave you club years of loyal and gritty service. Every footy club needs and has those type of players (McIntosh at Richmond for one)

Yes he was the hardly the most talented or gifted player in the world, but he gave it all to The Shinboners every game he played.
He was s**t

I think the AFL set the precident with PPs after what they did with Carlton.
They never got one, and their list has alot of talented kids on it just through getting higher picks for finishing low on the table.

With GC the AFL over reacted, and ended up giving them too many handouts.
It was almost crooked with what they did.
They have given the GC a golden ticket to success as far as picking up talent. Half of Qld in their academy, and the whole of Darwin as well. Not only that but prelisting players with out matching draft picks.
They delisted a great player in Lyons for nothing, and traded out their contracted Captain in May.
It's almost inept.

But no picks for North. They will get the number 1 pick this year, after getting two of the best mids from last year's first round.
So in two years they should have three new high level mids in.

If continued poor years continue the AFL will mastermind them relocating to Tassie, and they will no doubt get the whole of Tassie as an academy and get draft concessions on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back