Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explains why I saw Bradley running laps this afternoon.. Walsh wasn't too far behind him
Diesel was just in front of them, but to be fair they were about to lap him for the third time in 4 laps.

I like it.

With Murph, Betts, and possibly Levi all out the door at the end of the year it would certainly make sense to add a veteran presence with 2-3 years left at the top level to the forward line. Without that type of addition, you're really looking at an injury-prone McGovern and still young Harry McKay as the veterans up forward.

He can also slide into the midfield so would be a handy rotations player.
I have no problems with it. Would be that seagull midfielder racing around the back of the packs accept cheap chips from Cripps or Dow and then putting them on a flankers chest with ease!

I have no problems with it. Would be that seagull midfielder racing around the back of the packs accept cheap chips from Cripps or Dow and then putting them on a flankers chest with ease!

11 years in the system and he is going at nearly a 50% contested possession rate.

Not sure you've given an apt description of the type of player he is, or what he'd be brought across to do.

11 years in the system and he is going at nearly a 50% contested possession rate.

Not sure you've given an apt description of the type of player he is, or what he'd be brought across to do.
Where is the sarcasm font when you need it! I was all for trying to get him as a FA when he first came up. He would have added in that extra bit of contest at the breakdown.

Cripps should and will get overs based on his last 18 months - he's bashed up because of how the club has used him, and should be looked after accordingly.
Wot? He is a midfielder. We played him in the midfield. This is a football club, not a nursery. No-way we should be paying overs.

Personally I hope he signs and get's back to playing good footy, and by good footy, I mean team stuff, not selling candy and plodding along trying to kick goal of the year whenever he is close to the fwd 50. If he won't sign, we have Sammo, Stocker and Setters all busting for his spot on the inside, and we can use the trade to address other needs. I love Crippa, but I love a winning culture more.

Cripps should and will get overs based on his last 18 months - he's bashed up because of how the club has used him, and should be looked after accordingly.

Reckon you'd find if anyone was "responsible" for the way he's been playing and the fact that he's played through injury it would be the man himself.

We're not obligated to pay him overs because he's been knocked around for the last 18 months.

For mine, he should be in the top 3-4 salaries at the club, regardless of captaincy. That group being Harry, Cripps, Weiters and (very soon) Walsh. I'd almost be sitting the four of them down together and saying "Right, can we settle on a number that we think is fair for all four of you, as the core that we're going to build this premiership side around - we want all four of you on the same page and driving this club to the top". Ballpark $800k plus some performance incentives, on long term (5 year) deals. Tell them that if they want to chase an extra $100k per season, or an extra year, they can shop themselves around to their hearts content.

I don't think we win flag(s) if we have 3 or 4 of our best players trying to squeeze us for every dollar they can, whereas if they come together and "buy in" to the premiership hunt it gives us a fantastic cultural framework to build other contracts around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

used as an inside mid or played when injured? Because an inside mid is what he is.

He's been used as a human shield imo - even this year, the TOG and centre bounce attendance stats are not healthy. Club refused to provide rotation and/or senior backup after Gibbs left, which is why he still thinks he has to do it all himself.

Pretty sure that everyone who played before the salary cap came in was considered an amateur. Before 1987 and the expansion of the league and the introduction... the game was still an amateur sport.
No, they were paid match payments for most of the 20th century, but this was not enough to live on.

Most had to have a job as well. They were not full time footballers and trained only 2 nights per week. Some players left for country teams as playing coach where they received a good wage plus housing and a job.

I remember Jack Dyer talking about the Depression in the 1930 's saying he was able to earn money by playing for Richmond on Saturdays and for one of the teams which played in the mid-week Industrial League. A lot of players did that.

Professionalism, in some form, has been around in football since 1880's. Despite the VFA/VFL administrators attempts to keep it "amateur"

He's been used as a human shield imo - even this year, the TOG and centre bounce attendance stats are not healthy. Club refused to provide rotation and/or senior backup after Gibbs left, which is why he still thinks he has to do it all himself.

Wouldn't matter who else we put around him, he's gonna play the same way. And the biggest barrier to him getting even more time outside the midfield is his own inability to convert simple set shots. Can't blame the club for it.

Wouldn't matter who else we put around him, he's gonna play the same way. And the biggest barrier to him getting even more time outside the midfield is his own inability to convert simple set shots. Can't blame the club for it.

Coaches can't sit him on the bench to freshen up during the game?

Patrick has been badly managed, has been played as both a workhorse and impact player and right now has ended up as neither. I'd give the club the benefit of the doubt if they hadn't mismanaged every other midfielder on the list in the same time period.

Coaches can't sit him on the bench to freshen up during the game?

Patrick has been badly managed, has been played as both a workhorse and impact player and right now has ended up as neither. I'd give the club the benefit of the doubt if they hadn't mismanaged every other midfielder on the list in the same time period.

He can and does sit on the bench. Spends around 86% of his time on the ground, similar to other contested mids like Neale, Martin, Petracca, Oliver, Steele, Dangerfield, Parker, Coniglio, and Curnow.

Patrick has pushed himself hard, no doubt, but we haven't misused him. He's playing regulation minutes in the only role he's really suited to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back