Autopsy Round 7, 2021 vs Brisbane

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wonder how much the 430am wake up for an 830am flight on the day of the flight would have impacted them.

it might work for an early game, but by the time the game started, the players would have hit a wall with a lack of sleep etc.

Might be part of the reason behind the no pressure game?

Wonder how much the 430am wake up for an 830am flight on the day of the flight would have impacted them.

it might work for an early game, but by the time the game started, the players would have hit a wall with a lack of sleep etc.

Might be part of the reason behind the no pressure game?
I know we did a bit of that last year and still won games, but apparently St Kilda did a similar thing when we played them the week before and they were very flat too but looked a completely different outfit the week after against the Hawks (yeah I know it was the Hawks, but)

Maybe come up with a forward setup or entry to the forward line that works instead. Bassett still the coach (after Hinkley) I want out the door first.
Forward entries were crap, but so were our forwards. Dixon shanking easy shots and Marshall dropping easy marks and preventing us from even having a shot.

14 behinds from 19 shots at goal is terrible.

Ports have distractions, prison bars and too many big heads in administration, feel sorry for Ken Hinkley because he will be the one to get the chop.

You could quit your job and become a full-time 5AA caller.

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know we did a bit of that last year and still won games, but apparently St Kilda did a similar thing when we played them the week before and they were very flat too but looked a completely different outfit the week after against the Hawks (yeah I know it was the Hawks, but)

I think the fact that it was a night game will come into it too. We've all done early morning wake ups and the first part of the day is ok and manageable, but by 3pm you're starting to get tired.

Max Gawn has come out today and said that they had a 430am wake up to get to Tassie for a 1pm game and he was feeling tired and wanted a nap.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thought I might watch the match again, but 10 min in I had to stop.
Marshall's performance was indescribably awful.
It's difficult to understand how an AFL standard player could be so poor.
So help me, he went almost uncontested for one overhead mark (yes, there were people around him), the ball popped out of his hands and seemingly fell onto his boot before trickling away from him.
It must have embarrassed him, because even I felt embarrassed. It cannot be good for confidence.

The early morning flight thing is just an excuse. We navigated that scenario many times last year with great success and the club actually took pride in the fact that they didn't complain about it. No excuses.

We got away with it because half the teams were emotionally checked out and in a similar travel/hub-boat, the quarters were shorter and crowds weren’t present — and if they were, they were minimal and far from hostile.

It’s not the determining factor for yet another familiar loss, but it can’t help having to play an endurance-heavy contact sport when you’ve already been up for 14-15 hours and expended energy travelling.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The part where he was sure that Sam Mayes saw a Lions jumper and went back in time and forgot who he was playing for was my fave part. He talks absolute nonsense, it's bordering on senile.
Seemed a reasonable explanation for why Sam Mayes thought he could slowly walk past a Brisbane player and not end up with any issue from being tackled.

The early morning flight thing is just an excuse. We navigated that scenario many times last year with great success and the club actually took pride in the fact that they didn't complain about it. No excuses.
We navigated it successfully for games that were played at 12:30pm. So only 8 hours after that early flight. Not for a game that was played at 6:30pm. 12 hours after that early wake. So its not possible to go through a standard day from that flight time. You're going to have to have a sleep during the day here to have any hope of functioning come game time. And that means a really screwed around match day schedule.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Or we could just be on as level a playing field as possible. Its easy to sit back and say no excuses but sometimes there are factors that negatively impact performance and this is one of them.

If the roles were reversed you can get people would be talking down the win due to the lack of preparation for the other side.

Or we could just be on as level a playing field as possible. Its easy to sit back and say no excuses but sometimes there are factors that negatively impact performance and this is one of them.

If the roles were reversed you can get people would be talking down the win due to the lack of preparation for the other side.

If this is the AFL's new policy then all teams will be subject to it (apart from the WA clubs probably). That means teams that fly to play us at Adelaide Oval will be doing the same thing. Swings and roundabouts.

If this is the AFL's new policy then all teams will be subject to it (apart from the WA clubs probably). That means teams that fly to play us at Adelaide Oval will be doing the same thing. Swings and roundabouts.

It was COVID related because some idiots walked out of the safe zone in Brisbane Airport having just flown in from Papua New Guinea.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz

Mentioned it in another thread somewhere but the high humidity (91%) and lack of time given to acclimatize to the conditions could possibly have contributed to the poor performance. According to WebMD "Humid air feels thick and dense. It makes your body work harder to breathe. You need more oxygen, and you may feel tired and short of breath". This, combined with the early flight may have been why most of our players looked like they were struggling physically and lethargic.

Making excuses for this group after there is so much evidence that this has happened before and will happen again is a bit silly. They just what happened like they always do.

Rockliff literally said on radio tonight that it "had a smell about it early. You could tell they were off."

Even he knew a WHP was unfolding so I imagine the whole group did

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Making excuses for this group after there is so much evidence that this has happened before and will happen again is a bit silly. They just what happened like they always do.

Rockliff literally said on radio tonight that it "had a smell about it early. You could tell they were off."

Even he knew a WHP was unfolding so I imagine the whole group did

I heard that and you’re completely correct. Plenty of posters on this board operate off the 5 minute rule with this squad and it was proven yet again.

However in saying all of that, a 4am wake up, cross country flight to play a top team on their deck in greasy conditions 14 hours after the alarm buzzed doesn’t really give them the best chance of performing, even though we are capable of a WHP if we had a weeks rest next to the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be much more inclined to accept this excuse if we were just slightly off our best or did OK for most of the game before fading late, etc. The fact that we were basically complete and utter garbage in every part of the game from the moment it started makes me much more likely to just put it down to a WHP.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd be much more inclined to accept this excuse if we were just slightly off our best or did OK for most of the game before fading late, etc. The fact that we were basically complete and utter garbage in every part of the game from the moment it started makes me much more likely to just put it down to a WHP.
1st quarter - 21 points down
2nd quarter - 17 points down
3rd quarter - 16 points down
4th quarter - 5 points up

If flights were the main reason you'd expect we'd get progressing worse. From this we had a WHP pretty consistently across the first three quarters, not worse each quarter as we got more of a fatigue difference to the Lions (Brisbane parking the bus in the last, so that can be ignored).

Astronema

im gay (they/them)
Sep 17, 2020
Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t see how it matters whether its an excuse or not, it’s pretty obviously going to affect the competitiveness of the game and seems pretty amateur hour from the AFL.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1st quarter - 21 points down
2nd quarter - 17 points down
3rd quarter - 16 points down
4th quarter - 5 points up

If flights were the main reason you'd expect we'd get progressing worse. From this we had a WHP pretty consistently across the first three quarters, not worse each quarter as we got more of a fatigue difference to the Lions (Brisbane parking the bus in the last, so that can be ignored).
Not really.

This is pretty much how my game goes when I play a 10pm game of indoor cricket.

It takes me half a game to wake up and by the time it is almost over I am fully awake, only to stay that way til about 3am.

Id find this wholly consistent.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t see how it matters whether its an excuse or not, it’s pretty obviously going to affect the competitiveness of the game and seems pretty amateur hour from the AFL.
And we haven't even had it confirmed by the club let alone used as an excuse.

So if it did happen, they aren't blaming the travel, which has to be a positive for the regime IMO.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Real 2017 vibes about this year

No credit in the bank or even slight evidence to make me think a flag even a GF is a slight possibility
Other than beating Richmond and losing a prelim last year by a goal?

We can.

Unlikely, but a slight possibility.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Back