Remove this Banner Ad

B - T. Stewart, S. May, A. Aliir
HB - D. Rich, J. Weitering, C. Salem
C - H. McCluggage, O. Wines, A. Treloar
HF - S. Bolton, T. Walker, B. Fritsch
F - T. Greene, H. McKay, K. Pickett
Foll - M. Gawn (C), D. Mundy (VC), C. Petracca
Inter - J. Macrae, J. Steele, J. Ridley, S. Walsh

I've got the Dees with two in the backline, two in the middle and two up forward. Plus Oliver and Lever basically the next two picked. Ridiculous. Teams with that many players in career best form win flags.

Currently top 2 on the ladder.

Last year, there were 10 players in the squad between Port and Geelong.
In 2019, there were 8 players in the final team between West Coast and Geelong.
In 2018, Richmond had 8 in the squad, and there were 7 between Richmond and Hawthorn in the final team.

While it's far more likely to be whittled down to 3 or 4 players each by end of year (assuming both teams continue their form), it's not out of the question. And which of the Carlton players don't belong?
I'd agree with you that it will whittle down to 3-4 each, unless both the Dees & Dogs are top 2 by a mile come season end.

Carlton as a team won't deserve 3 players but I have no issue with the three you have in there. How many bottom teams get 3 AA players?

I'm sure Juddernaut08 will dislike that but it's true. They won't make finals and therefore don't deserve 3 players in the final 22 squad. I'd give them 3 in the 40 and 2 in the 22 unless they make finals.

I'd agree with you that it will whittle down to 3-4 each, unless both the Dees & Dogs are top 2 by a mile come season end.

Carlton as a team won't deserve 3 players but I have no issue with the three you have in there. How many bottom teams get 3 AA players?

Juddernaut08 will dislike that but it's true. They won't make finals and therefore don't deserve 3 players in the final 22 squad. I'd give them 3 in the 40 and 2 in the 22 unless they make finals.

Maybe they should also give out medals to each player in the best team each year? Oh wait.

Walsh, Weitering and McKay would all be in the 22 at this stage, and deservedly so. Having great seasons and dominating their positions.

I'm sure Juddernaut08 will dislike that but it's true. They won't make finals and therefore don't deserve 3 players in the final 22 squad. I'd give them 3 in the 40 and 2 in the 22 unless they make finals.
If Weitering is a top 3 defender for the year, he makes AA.

If McKay finishes top 2 in the Coleman, and has better marking and disposal stats than no.1 he makes AA.

If Walsh continues to poll coaches votes in in 80% of our games he makes AA.

It just shows the rest of our team are s**t

If Weitering is a top 3 defender for the year, he makes AA.

If McKay finishes top 2 in the Coleman, and has better marking and disposal stats than no.1 he makes AA.

If Walsh continues to poll coaches votes in in 80% of our games he makes AA.

It just shows the rest of our team are sh*t
Weitering is the one I am mostly talking about when I say that Carlton won't get 3. Although I will preface that he is certainly deserving right now.

Cannot argue at all with McKay and Walsh is the best thing to happen to Carlton since the 90's. But as the year drags out and Carlton don't make finals? It means the backline has been scored on often enough that even just a month out of form for Weitering and he'll get replaced quickly. Heck last year Andrews would get replaced out of sides off just the odd bad game, despite being the clear #1.

Couple that with other key defenders finding form at the pointy end and I can see him missing out more than the other two.

But hey, the fun part about this thread every year is how wrong everybody is for most of the year. Could be me wrong this time but I don't think it's too far fetched to suggest a poor year for Carlton means they won't get the AA selections they may deserve.

McCluggage should have been in the squad last year as the best wingman in the comp, didn't happen. /shrug

Weitering is the one I am mostly talking about when I say that Carlton won't get 3. Although I will preface that he is certainly deserving right now.

Cannot argue at all with McKay and Walsh is the best thing to happen to Carlton since the 90's. But as the year drags out and Carlton don't make finals? It means the backline has been scored on often enough that even just a month out of form for Weitering and he'll get replaced quickly. Heck last year Andrews would get replaced out of sides off just the odd bad game, despite being the clear #1.

Couple that with other key defenders finding form at the pointy end and I can see him missing out more than the other two.

But hey, the fun part about this thread every year is how wrong everybody is for most of the year. Could be me wrong this time but I don't think it's too far fetched to suggest a poor year for Carlton means they won't get the AA selections they may deserve.

McCluggage should have been in the squad last year as the best wingman in the comp, didn't happen. /shrug
Weitering is in now based on his performance relative to the rest of the competition.

Thats all we can project on for now.

Andrews has been down and Moore is playing forward. If both are played back and hit form I fully expect the competition to heat up and see someone like Weiters get questioned but as of this moment thats not the case.

If anything I think one of the lesser talents getting overrated like a Keath or May will get squeezed first.

AA is a purely individual award. Ablett won a Brownlow with Gold Coast, and Judd with Carlton

I eagerly await your abuse

FB: Dale (WB) - May (MEL) - Aliir (PA)
HB: Rich (BL) - Weitering (CAR) - Salem (MEL)
C: McCluggage (BL) - Macrae (WB) - Treloar (WB)
HF: Bolton (RIC) - Walker (ADE) - Petracca (MEL)
FF: Tippa (ESS) - McKay (CAR) - Greene (GWS)

R: Gawn (MEL) - Wines (PA) - Mundy (FRE)
IC: Walsh (CAR) - Liberatore (WB) - Ellis (GC) - Lever (MEL)

Aliir, Keath, Stewart among the next defenders.
Miller, Merrett, Oliver the next midfielders.
Hickey the next ruck.
Naughton, Riewoldt, Hooker, Pickett the next forwards.

5x Melbourne
4x Bulldogs
3x Carlton
2x Port, Lions
3 Carlton players would be massive for CFC

Right now they would be deserving. Weitering the one that is tight (there's a lot of defenders), but he's in my side. Walsh would be in the starting side for mine, him and Clugg are the wingers.

The contentious one is Weitering. McKay and Walsh should 100% be in it if the season ended today. At the rate they're going, Carlton should expect at least 2 in the side, and possibly the 3rd depending on how blokes like Lever, Keath, May, Aliir, etc. go for the rest of the season

The contentious one is Weitering. McKay and Walsh should 100% be in it if the season ended today. At the rate they're going, Carlton should expect at least 2 in the side, and possibly the 3rd depending on how blokes like Lever, Keath, May, Aliir, etc. go for the rest of the season

I might be bias but I'd add Rampe to the defenders. Him and Hickey are the reason we were 4-0! Have you seen how putrid our defence has been after he's been out (back this week thankfully)

I might be bias but I'd add Rampe to the defenders. Him and Hickey are the reason we were 4-0! Have you seen how putrid our defence has been after he's been out (back this week thankfully)
I admittedly haven't seen much of Sydney this year, so have only seen some decent but not outstanding performances from Rampe - definitely won't disagree there, just not able to make an informed opinion on him tbh. Hickey is definitely the one impressing me the most from what I've seen, and if they elect for 2 rucks again then he's absolutely in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

played 4 of 7 games. Can't have someone in who has missed almost half the games

Obviously if he comes back in and plays out the year he could work his way in though

I admittedly haven't seen much of Sydney this year, so have only seen some decent but not outstanding performances from Rampe - definitely won't disagree there, just not able to make an informed opinion on him tbh. Hickey is definitely the one impressing me the most from what I've seen, and if they elect for 2 rucks again then he's absolutely in.

Not having Rampe has made our defence look awful, he's extremely underrated as a defender, wish he'd get an AA or two boy jeez he's been robbed a few times! Hickey is borderline but if they go for two rucks he's in. That said Nic Nat and weirdly Tim English have been outstanding too.

played 4 of 7 games. Can't have someone in who has missed almost half the games

Obviously if he comes back in and plays out the year he could work his way in though

100% mate. If he plays the rest of the games he's in the mix. Was outstanding the 4-0 start.

Not having Rampe has made our defence look awful, he's extremely underrated as a defender, wish he'd get an AA or two boy jeez he's been robbed a few times! Hickey is borderline but if they go for two rucks he's in. That said Nic Nat and weirdly Tim English have been outstanding too.
Yeah English has been massive for us this year. Had 9 goals and 13 contested marks from the first 5 games. The combination with Martin was working so well, pity he got knocked out :(

Yeah English has been massive for us this year. Had 9 goals and 13 contested marks from the first 5 games. The combination with Martin was working so well, pity he got knocked out :(

Probably a big reason you lost last week and you wouldn’t have had to play that spud Schacke

What defender can consistently beat McKay in a one on one? If that is the prerequisite then no defender makes it.

The only way to nullify him and the next gen of talls is to have a 2nd defender float across. May and Lever are about the best example of this as it stands.
come on man

He has a great start to the year but he isn't ******* a hybrid of Wayne Carey and Tony Lockett who is unbeatable one on one

come on man

He has a great start to the year but he isn't ******* a hybrid of Wayne Carey and Tony Lockett who is unbeatable one on one

He is extremely hard to beat 1 on 1. Generally has 7-10cm, 5-10kg and a great leap on his direct opponent.

The Kings will end up the same. It wasn’t a comment on his talent as much as his sheer size.

He is extremely hard to beat 1 on 1. Generally has 7-10cm, 5-10kg and a great leap on his direct opponent.

The Kings will end up the same. It wasn’t a comment on his talent as much as his sheer size.
I'm not doubting that he is extremely good one on one and would be in the AA team atm.

I just think saying that he can't be beat one on one is not accurate

Moore probably the best. Smol boys like May and Lever (and even Weitering) would struggle.
good defenders use their body to their advantage to negate the McKay type players

But like I said he is killing it at the moment, but the other Carlton poster saying no one can stop him one on one is a bit of a stretch. If he had said it is extremely difficult to stop him one on one I would agree with that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back