Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

I’m not talking short term with Ben, I reckon he could become a long term fwd prospect.
Taz’s gorilla replacement? Our CHB (Walker) replacement? We currently have no young kpd’s in development (besides McKay) or kpd’s capable of replacing Walker, who is very average. That would be disastrous with absolute zero kpd depth.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Taz’s gorilla replacement? Our CHB (Walker) replacement? We currently have no young kpd’s in development (besides McKay) or kpd’s capable of replacing Walker, who is very average. That would be disastrous with absolute zero kpd depth.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
It’s easier finding key defenders than key forwards.

It’s easier finding key defenders than key forwards.
I do agree, but we have bugger kpd’s atm and kpd’s still take time to develop. If we pick up 2-3 next draft, then I’m all for McKay the forward.

Goldy on McKay possibly making the AA Squad/ Team :"If he keeps his form up, he's definitely headed in the direction of an All Australian sort of squad member, if not in the team the way he's going"

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did we shift Taz because it wasn't working or when he came back from injury the forward line was well stocked and working? My memory of when guys like Balck, Petrie, Waite and then BBB all came in and out is a bit hazy.
One thing that sets Taz apart from the rest is his footskills. It’s not just kicking for goal you have to worry about as a forward, it’s getting the ball 70m out and hitting a target inside 50.. I’ve got more faith in Taz doing it then all of our other key position players.

Its a Process

All Australian
Mar 28, 2011
Nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very, very happy to say I got it totally wrong with Ben. I thought he might be a little slow over 20 metres to hold down a key post but his ability to compete 1 vs 1 is outstanding and he is going to make life very difficult for forwards for a long time.

Reminds me a lot of Harris Andrews at a similar age, imagine in 2-3 once he starts backing himself defensively to take intercept marks.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Very, very happy to say I got it totally wrong with Ben. I thought he might be a little slow over 20 metres to hold down a key post but his ability to compete 1 vs 1 is outstanding and he is going to make life very difficult for forwards for a long time.

Reminds me a lot of Harris Andrews at a similar age, imagine in 2-3 once he starts backing himself defensively to take intercept marks.

Respect.

The moral of the story is that it's hazardous to go too early on KPP's, inside mids & especially ruckmen.

They can sometimes take 3-4 years to click, and rucks can take 5-6 years.

Look for the traits early, and then back in the fitness & development staff to get them right.

teethmeetsflesh

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What do you think is a fair contract? 2~3 years with a decent bump in wage is fair imo. We’ve been burned handing out inflated contracts for young promising players before.
hmm, at the minimum we have to give him enough to be financially stable without having to do Cameo lollll

I'd say similar to Harris Andrews - like, four (4) years at 650k? Depends if/what we offer Harry. Can't have one brother getting significantly more than the other when they are in the same team and arguably contributing as much at the time of their contract offers.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
hmm, at the minimum we have to give him enough to be financially stable without having to do Cameo lollll

I'd say similar to Harris Andrews - like, four (4) years at 650k? Depends if/what we offer Harry. Can't have one brother getting significantly more than the other when they are in the same team and arguably contributing as much at the time of their contract offers.

Forwards that kick bags get paid more. It’s just the way it is.

Don’t know what he’s on now but a bump of $150-$200k per year should do it. Personally I think 2 years is right. Then we’ll know if he’s the real deal.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No slouch either.

4C89D43C-DC36-4191-B984-C081798A3F8A.jpeg

Back