• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

If they wouldn’t release Dunkley they won’t release Smith. But yes, he’s the type you’d throw the sink at and build a midfield around if there was the slightest sniff. The dogs just happen to have a few such blokes you could build a midfield around .
Throw money at a few and maybe someone gets squeezed out

It would take a huge sacrifice from Kelly. $8M on the table. Even if another club offers something huge like $900k over 6 years, that's walking away from $2.6M. He'd need to go to a club with cap space and the ability to make him hugely marketable off-field and post-career (big team, probably Melbourne market) to justify that.

I guess this is where we hope all that cap discipline pays off and we can justify to the playing group that even though he'll be on the biggest contract at the club, he's taking a big sacrifice. Pump $1.2M-$1.4M in him over the next 2 years and then smooth it out on the back. It's possible if GWS really don't want his contract and back themselves with Hopper, Green, Cogs, Taranto, Bruhn etc.

It's consistent with our strategy. Use cap space to take on existing risky bad contracts with upside (Scully, Patton, Phillips, Scrim).
Would gws pay the difference eg we pay 800k and they pay 200k/ year just to get him off their books?

LMFAO fu** that...

ripped up his current contract and signed an 8 year deal for $10 million - with incentives to earn more plus the marketing component which sits outside the cap. With Gawn on over a mill a year and Oliver just under Melbourne are doing a Collingwood and heavily back ending and gambling on massive increases to the salary cap from 2023.

ripped up his current contract and signed an 8 year deal for $10 million - with incentives to earn more plus the marketing component which sits outside the cap. With Gawn on over a mill a year and Oliver just under Melbourne are doing a Collingwood and heavily back ending and gambling on massive increases to the salary cap from 2023.
Melbourne gonna Melbourne :shrug:

Would gws pay the difference eg we pay 800k and they pay 200k/ year just to get him off their books?
The AFL will make the money work, I'm sure. Kelly is still a gun. If he's willing to stay, I'm sure they'll just eat the deal and the AFL can parachute in some 'cost of living' assistance if needed. After losing Cameron and Williams, they won't help another club to take him.

Wonder if there’s anyone we can poach out of Melbourne as a salary dump? Eg Tom MacDonald as an upgrade on Hartigan / Hartley? Don’t like more top ups but realistically a kpd may be one we have to consider given likely high trade cost of a young kpp and development time of a draftee (which we still need to do in parallel but may not be able to get one given our picks and priority for mids).

Wonder if there’s anyone we can poach out of Melbourne as a salary dump? Eg Tom MacDonald as an upgrade on Hartigan / Hartley? Don’t like more top ups but realistically a kpd may be one we have to consider given likely high trade cost of a young kpp and development time of a draftee (which we still need to do in parallel but may not be able to get one given our picks and priority for mids).
Sam Weiderman would be ideal.

i hear petracca is on a big salary, maybe a future fourth could get it done?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will need those to fill the gaps until our players mature. We are not going to rebuild the list in one or two drafts you need other players to fill the gaps in the mean time
We already have list fillers
In fact, we are overwhelmed by list fillers

Move out some of them with high end draftees over the next 2-3 years

Don’t forget the money they’re already paying to Lever and May. Things are gonna get really tight when Jackson and Pickett are looking for a pay rise

We already have list fillers
In fact, we are overwhelmed by list fillers

Move out some of them with high end draftees over the next 2-3 years
I am not sure u understand what I said. The list is overhauled every year by at least 3 players. we may have more than 3 players that we move on at the end of this year. lets say we have 7 players we will have identified lets say 5 players in the draft and two players that can fill a role from other clubs. So we draft 5 players and then get the other 2 in trade or free agency. It is just an example. We will not be giving up our early draft picks

I don't blame Melbourne for doing whatever it took to keep Petracca at the club, his last 18 months have been nothing short of outstanding.

I remember on this board many people were also skeptical about Richmond paying Dusty that huge deal in 2018, saying it could backfire on the Tigers etc.

I don't blame Melbourne for doing whatever it took to keep Petracca at the club, his last 18 months have been nothing short of outstanding.

I remember on this board many people were also skeptical about Richmond paying Dusty that huge deal in 2018, saying it could backfire on the Tigers etc.

Yep they are rightly going all in for the now. Might not get a better chance, after 50 years or however long it has been. Coach seems mediocre, I wonder if can get it done against the wily foxes?

Sam Weiderman would be ideal.

I think Weideman might be a trap. He's had half a decent season at AFL level and turns 24 in a couple months. I could see a club paying him a decent salary to get him out and then him ending up a depth tall. Not a standout athlete, hasn't shown much versatility, struggles to get involved if he's not marking inside 50.

Might get better value out of less sexy guys like Harmes, Sparrow, Spargo, Petty, Neal-Bullen etc

Problem is, for every Dusty where it has worked, its failed 10 times more.

I think Weideman might be a trap. He's had half a decent season at AFL level and turns 24 in a couple months. I could see a club paying him a decent salary to get him out and then him ending up a depth tall. Not a standout athlete, hasn't shown much versatility, struggles to get involved if he's not marking inside 50.

Might get better value out of less sexy guys like Harmes, Sparrow, Spargo, Petty, Neal-Bullen etc
This x1000.

Would rather persist with Jeka, Lewis and Kosi than get Weidmann.

Feel like he will end up at Collingwood due to family anyhow.

LMFAO fu** that...

these figures must be complete rubbish.

Gawn 800
Oliver 800
Petracca 1mill
May 700
Lever 700
MacDonald 600
Viney 650
Ben Brown 650

That’s almost 6 mill or 60% of the salary cap between 8 blokes?

Possibly the likes of Jones Melksham Hibberd Brayshaw Tomlinson and Langdon are all playing for 200k each per year?

Something does not add up.

Yep they are rightly going all in for the now. Might not get a better chance, after 50 years or however long it has been. Coach seems mediocre, I wonder if can get it done against the wily foxes?
The Dees have Choco Williams as a sounding board for Goodwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back