Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
one eyed spy the deportation taking 4 months is fairly quick in the scheme of things.

From arrest to dealing with lawyers - it seems a deal was done where Dixie voluntarily agreed to deportation over charges

Usually you are sentenced and (in SA) if the sentence is longer than 12 months you are a strong candidate for deportation. You must serve that 12+ before applying for parole. You 'are paroled' into the care of immigration authorities and then deported.

Some opt to serve their full time as their prospects in some countries are dire
My dilemma comes from him not being sentenced with anything at all though, he was supposedly given a fine of around $750 a couple of days after his arrest which he would have paid off with little more than a week in the slammer if he had been detained. Usually it's fairly cut and dry with visa overstayers I thought, no visa & its a simple trip to the airport within a couple of days as far as I'm aware. Not much to debate there, no visa, not seeking refugee status, well, see ya later pal.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
They knew his movements through Australia apparently & didnt believe he was in Perth until about March of 1996 I believe.
That theory appears to have been blown out of the water on 22 February 2008, when the UK's Daily Mail reported that a Perth cafe owner (Anthony McMahon) hired Dixie to work in his Perth cafe in January 1996.

My guess at which cafe this might have been, from an ABN search (including cancelled ABN's) came up with what appears to be a Perth CBD cafe called 'Cafe Piccadilly' trading name under a sole trader ABN for an Antony J McMahon. From the ABN postcode changes, it looks like this cafe might have only operated until approx. 2003. Maybe a cafe associated with Piccadilly Arcade, an Art Deco style shopping arcade, connecting Hay Street to Murray Street in the heart of the CBD, that up until 2013 had a cinema in it.

''When Dixie strolled into a cafe in Perth in January 1996, he introduced himself as Shane Turner, a top chef who had worked in restaurants around Europe and Australia. The owner, Anthony McMahon, hired him for £160 a week. Mr McMahon recalls: "He could be moody at times, but I put that down to him being a chef."
Dixie rented a flat a few miles away, near the coastal suburb of Claremont....
All the women lived near Dixie....'

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
My dilemma comes from him not being sentenced with anything at all though
The dilemma for the current WA Police Commissioner, who was a WA Police Deputy Commissioner from approx. 2004-2014 before moving to CEO roles at the Feds Australian Crime Commission/Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission until 2017, is how to respond to yesterday's Daily Mail article where the mother of a UK murder victim of Mark Dixie (Sally Ann Bowman) , effectively accused Australian Law Enforcement/Authorities of having blood on their hands, from how they dealt with Dixie in Australia and deported him back to the UK without any warnings issued to UK authorities.

Hardly surprising that many UK media publications picked up on the West Australian Newspaper Monday article on Mark Dixie, and ran with Dixie articles over the last few days.

'''PUBLISHED: 17:39 AEST, 4 May 2021 | UPDATED: 19:26 AEST, 4 May 2021
Sally Ann's mother Linda told the Mirror today: 'We now know he was arrested at least three times in Australia but he was deported without any warnings being issued by the authorities. They didn't do their job properly and that's the reason my daughter's dead.''

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
He also worked at the Morley Tavern (Bar & Bistro) and lived in Morley for a while. I know this because i have a relative who worked in the kitchen there with him. I know he lived in Morley because i did work on his garden for him. This was before we knew anything about him. or even who he really was. This was around 1994/95.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
He also worked at the Morley Tavern (Bar & Bistro) and lived in Morley for a while. I know this because i have a relative who worked in the kitchen there with him. I know he lived in Morley because i did work on his garden for him. This was before we knew anything about him. or even who he really was. This was around 1994/95.

Do you, or your relative remember what style/colour his hair was when you worked on his garden and he worked at the Morley Tavern?
Surfie blond, or dark and curly?

Also, I wonder what the current WAPOL response would currently be to questions from the media of if they have or have ever had any evidence or information whatsoever, that Dixie ever visited or lived in WA at any time prior to approx. March 1996?

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
Do you, or your relative remember what style/colour his hair was when you worked on his garden and he worked at the Morley Tavern?
Surfie blond, or dark and curly?

Also, I wonder what the current WAPOL response would currently be to questions from the media of if they have or have ever had any evidence or information whatsoever, that Dixie ever visited or lived in WA at any time prior to approx. March 1996?
I will have to ask my relative about his hair style. I never met him in person. The garden work was organised over the phone and payment was left on the back doorstep.

As for prior to 96, i know it wasn't after November 1995 when I done the garden work because I contracted viral meningitis in Nov 95 and was unable to do physical work whilst recovering all during 96 and some of 97.

Anyways i will contact that relative and see what she remembers from back then.

Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
That theory appears to have been blown out of the water on 22 February 2008, when the UK's Daily Mail reported that a Perth cafe owner (Anthony McMahon) hired Dixie to work in his Perth cafe in January 1996.

My guess at which cafe this might have been, from an ABN search (including cancelled ABN's) came up with what appears to be a Perth CBD cafe called 'Cafe Piccadilly' trading name under a sole trader ABN for an Antony J McMahon. From the ABN postcode changes, it looks like this cafe might have only operated until approx. 2003. Maybe a cafe associated with Piccadilly Arcade, an Art Deco style shopping arcade, connecting Hay Street to Murray Street in the heart of the CBD, that up until 2013 had a cinema in it.

''When Dixie strolled into a cafe in Perth in January 1996, he introduced himself as Shane Turner, a top chef who had worked in restaurants around Europe and Australia. The owner, Anthony McMahon, hired him for £160 a week. Mr McMahon recalls: "He could be moody at times, but I put that down to him being a chef."
Dixie rented a flat a few miles away, near the coastal suburb of Claremont....
All the women lived near Dixie....'
Personally I don't have much expectation of the truth coming from either the media or the police & who would know if it was what they really believed at the time, some arse covering, blatant lies or something they'd still stick to today if pressed, probably suggesting the OS press got it wrong?

I don't know what the truth is but it was definitely the official line consistently peddled by our media & one they've all appeared to have stuck to in justifying any conclusions our police came to about him that were ever made public, thus the only answer they've ever offered us to the original question asked.

I doubt any of them will lose any sleep now over it though, right or wrong & truthful or otherwise. WA cops would probably have been pleased enough to see another states force getting a worse rap in UK press than they did.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Personally I don't have much expectation of the truth coming from either the media or the police & who would know if it was what they really believed at the time, some arse covering, blatant lies or something they'd still stick to today if pressed, probably suggesting the OS press got it wrong?

I don't know what the truth is but it was definitely the official line consistently peddled by our media & one they've all appeared to have stuck to in justifying any conclusions our police came to about him that were ever made public, thus the only answer they've ever offered us to the original question asked.

I doubt any of them will lose any sleep now over it though, right or wrong & truthful or otherwise. WA cops would probably have been pleased enough to see another states force getting a worse rap in UK press than they did.
If SS is ever found and any DNA at all can be gathered this could blow back on them

But until then its all BRE

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
From the little written about Dixie's from 1986 partner (Sandra Beckhaus), whom it is reported that he fathered 2 children with whilst he was in Australia,
it's a mystery as to when he stopped living with Sandra and their 2 children, and whether they overstayed their visa's to Australia too, or had/obtained some other visa that allowed them to remain in Australia longer than Dixie.

Wombot

Senior List
Mar 3, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
From the Post Newspaper, 1 March 2008, with lots of quotes from Robin Napper, a former British detective superintendent brought to Australia to introduce the use of DNA technology.

I note Today's Dixie article in the West omits Claremont from the list of Perth suburbs that Dixie was reported to have lived in during the 1990's.
The closest they got in their partial list, was Subiaco.

Hey Bret (Christian), if you're reading this, are you sure that Dixie was ever living in Claremont?

Hey Phil/Tim (Clarke), if you're reading this, any particular reason(s) why you left Claremont off your list of where Dixie is reported/alleged to have lived in Perth in the 90's? Maybe you can quote or investigate the Post's claim about this in a follow up article on Dixie :)

'Could Dixie be the Claremont killer?'

'a former chef, who lived in Claremont during the 1990s'

'WA police say they have ruled out Mark Dixie as the Claremont killer because he was unlikely to have been in WA when the woman thought to be the first victim, Sarah Spiers, went missing.'

'he was here from March 1996 to April 1999,'

'British police ... have they have criticised them for deporting Dixie without trying to prosecute him for the Leederville attack or investigating his background further.'

'Dozens of unsolved murders of women, sex attacks and missing women have been recorded for the time Dixie was in Perth.
Police have said they cannot rule him out of many of them.'
BRE was probably in Perth at the time that Dixie was. I wonder if police cannot rule him out either.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Where's Steve's? I heard the UWA girls drank at the Captain Sterling, is that it?
No
Steve’s was otherwise known as the Nedlands Park Hotel.
Almost in the Swan River if you headed South down Broadway and took a right turn before you went off the end of Nedlands Jetty.
Was very popular with the UWA boys in the early to mid-80s too :)

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
I will have to ask my relative about his hair style. I never met him in person. The garden work was organised over the phone and payment was left on the back doorstep.

As for prior to 96, i know it wasn't after November 1995 when I done the garden work because I contracted viral meningitis in Nov 95 and was unable to do physical work whilst recovering all during 96 and some of 97.

Anyways i will contact that relative and see what she remembers from back then.
Just an update... I have spoken to that relative and she said she would think on it and get back to me, I am still waiting...

mooloman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could this guy have been the CSK?

It’s curious that BRE just flew under the radar all that time, when long term suspects were being hounded to suicide and then the stuff ups at Pathwest etc etc.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Could this guy have been the CSK?

It’s curious that BRE just flew under the radar all that time, when long term suspects were being hounded to suicide and then the stuff ups at Pathwest etc etc.
Some of the timing is good - some of it is out

There are question marks over his whereabouts when SS went missing but he was in Perth for the time of the other 2

As SS is still an unsolved but linked to Claremont and by extension BRE - then his whereabouts may not matter

Back