Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty clear she was never interested in what's best for her club

Yep, doing better without her, and we have far more deserving girls that have earned that kind of marketing opportunity .

Maybe if she concentrated in improving her footy and actually becoming a role-model for her younger players at the club, then maybe the club would have considered the offer seriously. Instead, all she cares is about her followers on Instagram and becoming the most overrated and controversial football player in the Women's league like seriously, how the hell did she get a bronze statue of herself in the first place like WTF 🤣 , she isn't even in the best 5-10 players at her club, let alone the league itself. Sounds like such a big-head person from the outside and doesn't deserve the amount of media attention she gets.

I hope Carlton reject that offer and stick with the current contract, just for a slice of humble pie for her cause boy she needs it. I'm glad we got rid of her as soon as a flash now because she could have pretty much destroyed our club with her insane contract requirements that her manager has asked for, even though her playing ability is probably average at best. Much more better players at the club and around the league that deserve that paycheck, unlike Harris herself.

I thought the women’s game still had maximum contract values rather than being able to pay 1 a lot and the rest little?

I thought they had maximum contract values in the women's league as well but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Christian Petracca has been given a 7 year extension on this contract(OOC 2022) which will take him to the end of the 2029 season, he will be 33 years of age by then.

IMO that sort of contract is too long for any player, much prefer our current approach ie. our longest contracted players at the moment are Charlie and Harris who fall OOC in 2025... 2024 > J.Berry, Big O, Clugga, Zac and Starcevich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s a wonder how our prisons aren’t overflowing with diabetics then.

I was curious so did some googling and there may be something to that

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Christian Petracca has been given a 7 year extension on this contract(OOC 2022) which will take him to the end of the 2029 season, he will be 33 years of age by then.

IMO that sort of contract is too long for any player, much prefer our current approach ie. our longest contracted players at the moment are Charlie and Harris who fall OOC in 2025... 2024 > J.Berry, Big O, Clugga, Zac and Starcevich.
Agree way to long to retain a player
I have always been a 3 years plus add a trigger if you have to.
Except for the older brigade that may be 1 or 2 years
You can always re-negotiate a contract 2 years in
If the Club treat the player and his manager well no need to go all in on a few players at the expense of others that have not even arrived at the club yet

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Too long for sure but perhaps he didn't them any choice 7 years or I'm out. I'm assuming 700 K per year or around that
It's essentially a 8 year contract with him already being contracted for 2022.

I've seen reports of approaching a Million per year.

IMO a 7 years or I'm out ultimatum to the club should be met with a no thanks, I'm with Section 5 ... except for the elite players of the competition who I'd go as far as 4 years with an option for a 5th if games played/B&F finishes/AA type triggers are met.

It's essentially a 8 year contract with him already being contracted for 2022.

I've seen reports of approaching a Million per year.

IMO a 7 years or I'm out ultimatum to the club should be met with a no thanks, I'm with Section 5 ... except for the elite players of the competition who I'd go as far as 4 years with an option for a 5th if games played/B&F finishes/AA type triggers are met.
Quite often a drop in form coincides with a new contract.
So hopefully his form tapers off before Round 12.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Hoping it screws up the Dees salary cap as it did the Pies. Petracca though is probably more worthy of that type of contract than Grundy
Yep, IMO no ruckman is worth anywhere near a million a season, plenty of premiership teams over the years have had non elite ruckman, 99% of them would have had an elite level midfield group though.

Those guys aren't "ruckmen" only. They are midfielders and marking options. Gawn wins games with his aerial domination. Grundy at his best won clearances, linked play up in the loose and took marks. Their ruck work is only part of what makes them fine footballers. There haven't been all that many ruckmen who can play at that sort of level (Cox, Simon Madden spring to mind) but the ones that do are difference makers.

I'd pay Max Gawn a million a year for the way he's played in recent times. I'd have paid Grundy a million a year too at his peak. I just wouldn't have paid either of them that sort of money over 7 years. The issue is longevity and resilience IMO, not elite performance.

If the question is whether ruckwork is overrated, I reckon that's a valid point. But Gawn (and Grundy at his best) change the course of games with their ability and, if rarity somewhat defines value, guys who do that and hold down the ruck are pretty valuable.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seems like a lot of money per year over a very long term, but sometimes that's what you have to do to protect your club from North Melbourne coming at your players with their 'WARCHEST'........

Maybe Melbourne are expecting increases in the salary cap in a year or two once the league has recovered from Covid & think that long term it's a reasonable deal. By the end of the contract 850k to 1 Million per year will seem underwhelming. Maybe lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back