No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Reserve seat members getting their seats back. :thumbsu:

The announcement comes as the AFL has also advised Victorian clubs that reserve seat members can return to their reserved seats at the MCG, Marvel Stadium from Round Nine and GMHBA Stadium from Round 10.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Reserve seat members getting their seats back. :thumbsu:

To comply with government approved COVID Safe measures Reserve Seat Members will be able to download a digital membership card from their club to use on their smart phone – much adding an airplane ticket or debit card to the phone’s digital wallet.

Once they arrive at the match, members will enter through the designated gate on their digital membership cards, scan in and head to their normal reserved seat/s.
In the coming days each club will communicate with their members as to their preferred approach.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Christian Petracca is a decent player but no way in Hades is he worth 1 Million Dollarydoos per season (which Tom Morris is reporting)
They're projecting Dusty levels from him, and he's really not that far away.

I wanted him waaaay back in 2016. If you're ever going to pay a player 1 million, he's a good deal better to do it to that a speculative midfielder (Tom Scully), an avaricious KPF (Tom Lynch), or a speculative KPF (Tom Boyd).

In fact, just don't offer 1 million dollars to anyone named Tom. Just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
They're projecting Dusty levels from him, and he's really not that far away.

I wanted him waaaay back in 2016. If you're ever going to pay a player 1 million, he's a good deal better to do it to that a) a speculative midfielder (Tom Scully), an avaricious KPF (Tom Lynch), or a speculative KPF (Tom Boyd).

In fact, just don't offer 1 million dollars to anyone named Tom. Just isn't worth it.

He is 26 next January. Don't think he will ever reach Dusty levels of greatness friend

Christian Petracca is a decent player but no way in Hades is he worth 1 Million Dollarydoos per season (which Tom Morris is reporting)
Eight years is a bit too long imo for any contract. No reason to offer anything more than 5 years.

Walsh will x

Walsh will NEVER be the type of player Martin is - ever. AND Martin will NEVER be the player Walsh is - the best comparison to Walsh is Selwood at Geelong type. He is a gut runner with a footy brain and who is developing his kicking skills. He is a captain material just like Weitering is - both will be amongst the best players in the competition.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Wanted to just stick the boots in to the Pies for a second and wanted to know what people’s thoughts are, on what the hell they are doing.

The Pies were battered in the media at trade time last year and rightfully so, they weathered the storm and the bashing for their trade antics has subsided, what I want to know is, when will the media and football public realise the Pies are dead set stuffed, in regards to how they have positioned themselves.

Basing my opinions on the likelihood Daicos goes top 2, the Pies will need to go in to deficit in 2022 just to match, that’s not taking in to account they are desperate to add young talent to their squad. With Daicos rated so highly, the Pies also can’t trade any players for picks, as they will be swallowed up by matching the Daicos bid.

Am I missing something here? It seems like they are screwed regardless of what happens.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Wanted to just stick the boots in to the Pies for a second and wanted to know what people’s thoughts are, on what the hell they are doing.

The Pies were battered in the media at trade time last year and rightfully so, they weathered the storm and the bashing for their trade antics has subsided, what I want to know is, when will the media and football public realise the Pies are dead set stuffed, in regards to how they have positioned themselves.

Basing my opinions on the likelihood Daicos goes top 2, the Pies will need to go in to deficit in 2022 just to match, that’s not taking in to account they are desperate to add young talent to their squad. With Daicos rated so highly, the Pies also can’t trade any players for picks, as they will be swallowed up by matching the Daicos bid.

Am I missing something here? It seems like they are screwed regardless of what happens.
I've been saying pretty much since they brought in Treloar that it was only a matter of time for them. They needed to have a punt before Sidebottom and Pendles retired, and they overspent to do it. I mean, they were a thumping good kick away from it working, but now they're absolutely ****ed for several reasons.

One, their drafting over the last decade rivals ours prior to 2015; others have made the analysis and done a better job than I could. Two, the way they handled Treloar's exit guarantees that no-one within the playing group can ever take the club or Bucks or the leadership group at their word when they speak, nor can any player trust the club that their mental health will not be leaked to the tabloids or exploited in contract negotiations. And three, exactly what you've described: they're going to go into deficit points wise to the extent that it's going to affect the following year, and regardless of how good Nick Daicos is he's not as good as two first round picks inside a single season.

There's also the question, WTF is going on in their rehab/conditioning departments? They've had similar levels of issues to us, and we're widely criticised for it.

They're in for real pain, and it's going to be absolutely awful.

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh will NEVER be the type of player Martin is - ever. AND Martin will NEVER be the player Walsh is - the best comparison to Walsh is Selwood at Geelong type. He is a gut runner with a footy brain and who is developing his kicking skills. He is a captain material just like Weitering is - both will be amongst the best players in the competition.
Jab I like your posts, comparing Walsh to that thespian who's made a career out of playing for free kicks YUK!!!
Everyone has a different opinion, Walsh and Simon Black are so similar it's ridiculous to me and a more apt comparison.
Naming that overated squealer flog and comparing him to Sam. 👎
The rest of the post 👍

Jab I like your posts, comparing Walsh to that thespian who's made a career out of playing for free kicks YUK!!!
Everyone has a different opinion, Walsh and Simon Black are so similar it's ridiculous to me and a more apt comparison.
Naming that overated squealer flog and comparing him to Sam. 👎
The rest of the post 👍

No worries DH - more referring to Selwood's running ability, hardness in defense and Captains goal kicking ability - re the gaming the high contact. I agree Selwopod has placed advantage over fair play and I dont like this either - as for Black comps that is a fair one too although Walshy has a way top go before he ios a big in the congtest as Black was.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
I've been saying pretty much since they brought in Treloar that it was only a matter of time for them. They needed to have a punt before Sidebottom and Pendles retired, and they overspent to do it. I mean, they were a thumping good kick away from it working, but now they're absolutely f’ed for several reasons.

One, their drafting over the last decade rivals ours prior to 2015; others have made the analysis and done a better job than I could. Two, the way they handled Treloar's exit guarantees that no-one within the playing group can ever take the club or Bucks or the leadership group at their word when they speak, nor can any player trust the club that their mental health will not be leaked to the tabloids or exploited in contract negotiations. And three, exactly what you've described: they're going to go into deficit points wise to the extent that it's going to affect the following year, and regardless of how good Nick Daicos is he's not as good as two first round picks inside a single season.

There's also the question, WTF is going on in their rehab/conditioning departments? They've had similar levels of issues to us, and we're widely criticised for it.

They're in for real pain, and it's going to be absolutely awful.

Pies issues

1) Older players are their best players (cliff is coming fast and players are losing trade currency).
2) Older players losing hope
3) Non-performing injured/players on lots of $$$ (low trade currency)
4) Have traded out players that leaves the team worse off, loss of trust/damage to the fabric etc (see Bombers and Saints).
5) Compromised drafts, spent draft picks on players no longer at club (Treloar & Beams) hollowing out their future playing stocks
6) This year traded high picks/players for draft currency that doesn't add up to getting Diacos (must trade a performing player or go into deficit the following year)
7) Young players dazed and confused by the departure of good players and the loss of hope of the older players.
8) Disconnect from the club messaging both in the trade period and now still messaging that they will be making finals....
9) Coach has been there a long time - Stale message, which players may no longer believe and/or trust.
10) No Key forward (see compromised draft)

They will have a good young core but like we were are now hollowed out in the middle.

World of pain for a 3-5 year period coming and even if they recontract Buckley he won't survive that long with no finals.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Matt Rendell reckons that if they ditch Buckley - Collingwood could be playing next year. :think: :$
I heard that. Maybe Rendell is a bit biased having been a recruiter for them. Maybe he's saying it to try and make his work recruiting for them appear better than it is. Maybe he's drunk. Who knows.

I heard Mick Warner saying they could hit a draft or two then be flag contenders, because if Brisbane can rebuild in 2 years then why cant they?.... maybe he's drunk too.

Robbo seemed convinced they should offload players like Sidebottom to get first rounds picks. I feel like the only club that would pay up a 1st for a guy who turns 31 before the start of next season would be Collingwood, and even that is based on the Get Beams back clusterf*** of a decision. Maybe he's dr.... actually, we all know the answer to that one.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
I heard that. Maybe Rendell is a bit biased having been a recruiter for them. Maybe he's saying it to try and make his work recruiting for them appear better than it is. Maybe he's drunk. Who knows.

I heard Mick Warner saying they could hit a draft or two then be flag contenders, because if Brisbane can rebuild in 2 years then why cant they?.... maybe he's drunk too.

Robbo seemed convinced they should offload players like Sidebottom to get first rounds picks. I feel like the only club that would pay up a 1st for a guy who turns 31 before the start of next season would be Collingwood, and even that is based on the Get Beams back clusterf*** of a decision. Maybe he's dr.... actually, we all know the answer to that one.

Exactly we can also see is there is no way to hit the draft without trading out their performing players which in turn results in a short-medium term performance decrease.

Whose aged >25 yo and worth a first rounder besides Grundy (Pies would have to pay some of his salary), Moore, DeGoey and Adams (not including Pendlebury), maybe Mihocek? The rest are either too old or injury prone.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Exactly we can also see is there is no way to hit the draft without trading out their performing players which in turn results in a short-medium term performance decrease.

Whose aged >25 yo and worth a first rounder besides Grundy (Pies would have to pay some of his salary), Moore, DeGoey and Adams (not including Pendlebury), maybe Mihocek? The rest are either too old or injury prone.

This is why I think they are stuffed, they can’t trade for picks this year, if Daicos goes 1-2, they will go in to points deficit for 2022, so if they traded Degoey for say pick 6, that pick is eaten up straight away by matching Daicos, even if they brought in pick 6 and pick 15 for someone else, it will be eaten up.

They will need to rely on free agents, trading players for future picks or player swaps, they’re in big trouble.

JeSOS

Senior List
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
on the Get Beams back clusterf*** of a decision. Maybe he's dr.... actually, we all know the answer to that one.

Beams being brought back was purely due to E McG. I have a couple of friends that move around in their inner circle and they told me about it months before it got announced.
Eddie wanted it to happen because he felt that since Beams had left they'd lost some cohesion within the team and, the only way to get it back whilst in their premiership window, was to bring him back in. Beams couldn't care less whether he stayed or left, but when Eddie offered to clear his gambling debt, Beams jumped back on the bandwagon.
Brisvegas new the whole situation, hence why they reemed them in the trade.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Not even North would pay a first rounder for Sidebottom.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

I find him like a really skillful, bigger, better Bradley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back