Guessing the 15 metre rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Umps are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Wait for the ball to be marked before it's no 15 and you're putting the guy marking it under extreme pressure. Plus if it goes 13 but they pay the mark you're risking a 50m penalty.

If they are clear the kick won't go 15 it's best for everyone that they call it so play keeps moving.

In this case the ball bounced out further than the ump probably thought, then seemed to go quite up in the air. The ump is probably thinking it's going to land in the goal square which wouldn't have been 15. It floats, and Cameron marks it - with first contact a lot closer than fox footy's graphic by the way - and has likely gone about 18.

If we're going to have rules that are really difficult judgment calls then we're going to have mistakes.
Umpire called it 9M into flight. I agree with Gerard. Why do we have to call these ones early. Worst case scenario it results in a ball up if not 15.

How is it possible for the umpire to be accurate on the 15m rule when there are no ground markings?
I wouldn't blame the umpires going on strike with the crap they have to put up with
They have to make subjective interpretations all throughout the game and also run 10 plus kilometres.
It's the hardest game to umpire in the world and they are underpaid.

The issue is that they called it before it was marked. You can tolerate umpires not getting the 15m exactly spot on, of course, but not guessing when they only have some of the necessary information needed to make an informed decision.

Ironic thing about all this is that in the opening minutes of the game Geelong WERE paid a mark in their defensive 50 that barely traveled 10m, lucky to be 8.
I think it was Clarke that marked it.
There were a couple of others also that no way cleared 15m that were paid marks, then one finally gets called play on and it travels 20+ mtr.

Just absolutely typical of how umpiring decisions during games ebb and flow, paid and not paid, etc. Driving fans and players a little angry.

The issue is that they called it before it was marked. You can tolerate umpires not getting the 15m exactly spot on, of course, but not guessing when they only have some of the necessary information needed to make an informed decision.
I think they're meant to call it early, if they can, to give the players time to react.
I think other umpires should overrule more often.
The only way to really fix it is to have a video review but that opens up a can of worms.

So what does it mean when an umpire raises both hands above his head and touches the back of one hand with the other?
What does it mean when the AFL calls a presser afterwards to say the umpire got it wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back