List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davis never sorted himself out.... He had periods but ultimately it seemed his lack of professionalism was what cost him a few more years in the system. Plenty of teammates have commented about Davis not being too fit during his time at the Swans

Possibly. Still he remains a legend in my view as a mid forward who got us to a granny in 05 and was terrific in the 06 GF when he was our target for large parts of the game.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Davis sorted himself out. He continues to give back to our Club.

JDG is thick as a plank, lacks the body shape to run out games and has no observable team orientation. Our no DH policy has been adopted by other Clubs, bar the Pies. I really doubt any Club would take him even without the current charges he is on.
Roos would 100%

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
But you'd never do that swap so its just a form/injury thing. Rampe still has more value to us than Allir.

Besides, if you want to talk form, Allir was traded for a player who's form and fit in our team is untouchable. Hickey clearly leading our B&F at the moment

Can you name another team in the league that has had to trade out a player in order to be able to afford a back up ruckman?

We're very fortunate that Hickey has been so good that the ineptitude of our list management team has been covered up

Can you name another team in the league that has had to trade out a player in order to be able to afford a back up ruckman?

We're very fortunate that Hickey has been so good that the ineptitude of our list management team has been covered up

Every side has to do similar things. You need to give something to get something unless you think we have 10 first rounders coming out of somewhere! We aren't GC who get a bucket of priority picks for their ineptitude. AA wouldn't be playing in our top side so it really is a win-win trade.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Every side has to do similar things. You need to give something to get something unless you think we have 10 first rounders coming out of somewhere! We aren't GC who get a bucket of priority picks for their ineptitude. AA wouldn't be playing in our top side so it really is a win-win trade.

aliir not in our best 22?! of course he would be

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Rampe and McCartin are the pillars. Stand by the statement. Trade was a win-win

no argument at all on those two, and it might take some tweaking, but i'd have aliir in over either lloyd or cunningham, particularly with melican down ...
aliir in form is an outstanding intercept defender, good in the air, good with the ball

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
no argument at all on those two, and it might take some tweaking, but i'd have aliir in over either lloyd or cunningham, particularly with melican down ...
aliir in form is an outstanding intercept defender, good in the air, good with the ball

and in no way am i critical of the trade, i love that we have hickey ...

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

Collingwood has clearly mismanaged its salary cap exremely badly. Can you name another team that has had to trade out a best 22 player (and likely AA squad member) to recruit a second string ruckman?

Your suggestion that AA wouldn't be in our best team is laughable, aside from Longmire completely mismanaging him he would be best 22 in every side in the comp

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
DeGoey re-signed for 2 years in December 2020 at a reported $750k pa.
So we would have to trade for him (RFA at the end of 2022)
Forget off-field, overlook attitude and let's just concentrate on performance.

DeGoey on the left, the Chad on the right, stats for 2021. DeGoey on the left, Errol on the right, stats for 2021. And one for the road DeGoey left, Sam Wicks right

View attachment 1118840View attachment 1118842View attachment 1118846

DeGoey's career stats;
View attachment 1118845

No thanks.
Wow! He looks spectacular but our three kids are already performing just as well, if not better. Well done recruiters and coaches!

Aliir for Hickey was a 26yo class 4 asset for a 29yo class 6 asset

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Aliir for Hickey was a 26yo class 4 asset for a 29yo class 6 asset

While I don't disagree, and I do think the trade wasn't good despite Hickey being one of the best players for us, I think your assets miss a bit of the nuaunce. Your assets also refer to how hard it is to find a good player, not how good the player is.

a) Calling a player an asset ignores their intrinsic worth as a player. Your lowest is small forwards, but I would argue that our most important player last year was Papley, and GWS most important player this year is Greene. Gulden has also proven to be an invaluable player. Now while your theory adds up, that Papley was a Rookie, and Gulden was pick 32, that ignores they're worth as players.

b) A missing asset can change importance. If you are chocka block with Key forwards and Classy Mids, Ruckmen and Small forwards, you would be willing to part ways with a "better" asset to get a KPD, since you have a need for that "asset" A good example of this is probably the bulldogs, there team would probably have a net increase if they traded one of their mids (looking like Wallis) for a KPD of a similar quality. This goes against your asset call, but would make the team better.

If I have made an error please call it out, since for the most part, I really enjoyed reading your thread and learnt a lot from it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

This is correct we are just so fortunate nobody could of predicted the form of Hickey it has mitigated the loss of Allir.

Keep in mind however Allir has much better backup and support from Port defenders soon as he is held accountable he struggles as a 1on1 defender.

Still not sure why we had to get rid of him? while we still have Bell, Clarke, Gray, Taylor, Brand on the list taking cap space.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Still not sure why we had to get rid of him? while we still have Bell, Clarke, Gray, Taylor, Brand on the list taking cap space.
How many times does it have to be repeated we traded Aliir to get the trade currency for Hickey?

Port have made it clear that Aliir filled a specific need for them and so they pursued him.
He was the only one of our players that was actively sought by another club.
We needed to stockpile our own draft picks to match bids on Campbell & Gulden.

The trade had nothing to do with salary cap space.
The only person that has suggested we have salary cap issues is some random journo from Adelaide with absolutely no connection/history with the Swans.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
How many times does it have to be repeated we traded Aliir to get the trade currency for Hickey?

Port have made it clear that Aliir filled a specific need for them and so they pursued him.

The only person that has suggested we have salary cap issues is some random journo from Adelaide with absolutely no connection/history with the Swans.

Well at the time there were rumours of Hewett being shopped around for cap relief.

Yer i get what your saying just could we have done the Hickey deal without giving away a KPD in a area we already lacked depth?

It worked out pretty good cause Hickey has had a amazing start to the season i cant recall a ruck at our club having such a impact its like having another 200cm clearance mid.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Well at the time there were rumours of Hewett being shopped around for cap relief.

Yer i get what your saying just could we have done the Hickey deal without giving away a KPD in a area we already lacked depth?

It worked out pretty good cause Hickey has had a amazing start to the season i cant recall a ruck at our club having such a impact its like having another 200cm clearance mid.
Happy to be corrected but my memory of the Hewett situation is that it happened before the AA trade and given we were originally enquiring after Ladhams (Port) and the fact that George is from SA may have seen his name raised as possible trade bait. Although the rumours of Hewett being on the market were always a bit wishy-washy.

With regard to other options the only player that had a 'buyer' was Aliir.
In an ideal world I'd have liked us to retain AA.
However as much as I like AA our need for a ruck was far greater.

And yep Hickey has been extraordinary.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

If that's true, that just makes it so much worse, we could've just gone into deficit in this years draft.

Lose an elite intercept defender to preserve a draft pick on an unknown quantity when we've already invested heavily in the last few drafts

Unpopular Opinion: I don't miss Aliir and found him not that great as a 1 on 1 defender and his disposal wasn't great when rebounding
Some of his fumbles last year killed me. Aliir for Hickey was win-win, would do it again in a heart beat.

Some of his fumbles last year killed me. Aliir for Hickey was win-win, would do it again in a heart beat.
In hindsight, yes.

At the time losing Aliir for a stop-gap seemed like a loss but Hickey has only impressed more and more each game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back