2nds 2021 Peel Thunder (Freo Reserves) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Blakely? Cos that's what he is emulating at Peel. When he gets the ball he instantly throws it onto his boot in a blind kick forward... to no-one from our team.

to think at one point blakely had interest from over east. I guess he liked the surf too much here because he should have taken any offer he got with both hands.

I'm not sure if I agree that Acres is underperforming yet but as I didn't watch a replay of the derby, I'm not sure who was responsible for having so many loose players out on WC'S wings. It may have been our wingmen or our hf's. Aish doesn't do enough often enough to keep a wing to himself. Bewley also played HF alright last year iirc
I thought Acres was actually one of Freo's better players in the derby. He certainly charged into a fair few contests, was Freo's third highest in terms of contested possessions (10) and equal second for tackles (4), and I think I read somewhere his disposal efficiency was over 80. Was also Freo's best for total distance covered at high speed. In the context of the team's overall performance, to fault him over all the others for lack of defensive effort is unfair to say the least.

Aish, on the other hand, didn't put in his best performance of the season. More than once he held back from the contest, and he seemed far less involved generally. Then again, maybe by staying out of the contest, he was just following Longmuire's instructions.

I thought Acres was actually one of Freo's better players in the derby. He certainly charged into a fair few contests, was Freo's third highest in terms of contested possessions (10) and equal second for tackles (4), and I think I read somewhere his disposal efficiency was over 80. Was also Freo's best for total distance covered at high speed. In the context of the team's overall performance, to fault him over all the others for lack of defensive effort is unfair to say the least.

Aish, on the other hand, didn't put in his best performance of the season. More than once he held back from the contest, and he seemed far less involved generally. Then again, maybe by staying out of the contest, he was just following Longmuire's instructions.
Interesting post :thumbsu:

I think it was the moment when NOD had the ball in the middle of the ground under no pressure and kicked 20m to two players open on the wing and missed them by a good 2m that had me thinking he isn't in the right headspace. I really do think it is a case of him being so bad lately that we probably shouldn't worry. Something is fundamentally off and when it is fixed everything else will likely fall into place. At least that's what I tell myself given we traded up to get him at the expense of not grabbing a tall forward in the ND.
Demonic Dave

To be fair, one is due to injury, one is due to looking... just bad. It's honestly baffling watching NOD play at the moment, he legit cant pick the ball up. its like someone space jammed his ability or something
Does he have a back injury? He looked much more mobile/agile last year. Hopefully gets out of his funk and shows something. No doubt he’ll stay back in Perth and play some WAFL footy reserves, C-Grade amo’s or whatever.

i was kind of surprised when people were saying he was in our bottom players on the day. He was fine. Plenty of guys below him in the pecking order. When we were going well in the first half he was amongst our best.

i was kind of surprised when people were saying he was in our bottom players on the day. He was fine. Plenty of guys below him in the pecking order. When we were going well in the first half he was amongst our best.
He's a good old fashioned whipping boy. I also thought he was one of our better players.

He was noticeably more physical at the contest than I am used to.

He is and they still need to manufacture a role for him (one he does very well obvs).
Richmond game aside (tactical shift) he’s been a liability this season too, short kicks aren’t part of the bulldogs game plan down back and Dale etc, do the long one better than Daniel so they don’t need to force the ball into his hands, which you need to do to extract value from him because he isn’t doing a shift without the ball

Eleven Fremantle players were in action on SUnday for Peel in round five of the WAFL against West Coast’s WAFL team.

Peel ran out 79-point winners in the clash.

Development coach Tendai Mzungu runs through how the players fared.

Stefan Giro
Stefan played on the wing throughout the game and gave Peel some excellent run on the outside. The way Peel moved the ball helped Stefan get his hands on the footy. He set up a lot of attacking plays and had more than 10 score involvements.

Joel Western
Joel keeps building and his form is improving every week. He used the ball well, he was very clean, drove his legs and set up some offensive plays with 26 disposals, 10 marks and a goal.

Joel-Western-Peel_.jpg

Connor Blakely
Connor worked hard inside through the game and used the ball well by hand and foot. He had 24 disposals, six marks and five inside 50s and you just know what you’re going to get with Connor every week as once again, he competed strongly.

Lloyd Meek
Lloyd’s ruck and follow up work was a feature of his game. He had 29 hitouts and played a strong role in Peel winning the clearances by 20.

Brett Bewley
It’s great to see Brett back for his first game of the year. He played mostly on the wing and a little bit at half back. He used the ball well, gave Peel some great defensive run and showed his leadership across the ground.

Liam Henry
Liam was terrific. Some of his contest work was really strong and obviously, his natural talent showed and he was able to hit the scoreboard and set up a number of goals, giving off three or four during the day.

Josh Treacy
We were happy to see Josh getting the reward he deserved with a five goal performance. He competed really strongly, he kicked some terrific goals from outside 50 and was a presence all day.

Sam Sturt
Sam played his role well and worked really hard up the ground to provide options. He used it well and hit the scoreboard with four goals.

Luke Valente
Luke played in the midfield and keeps building - his performances are improving each week. He was clean and showed good composure.

Nathan O’Driscoll
Nathan played half back and Peel’s quick ball movement didn’t help at times with the defensive shape behind the ball. It meant Nathan didn’t get a lot of opportunities but, he’s been putting in some good performances together and will continue to build next week.

Bailey Banfield
Unfortunately, Bailey was injured early in the game. He kicked a couple of goals before he came off. It looked like he was going to have a promising day so it was unfortunate for Bailey not to see out the game.

to think at one point blakely had interest from over east. I guess he liked the surf too much here because he should have taken any offer he got with both hands.
there's no surf in Perth and when I been out in the break with Fyfe and Blakely, Blakely was sitting on a pink foam board not doing much while Fyfe was charging waves on his fish. Think the Blakely = surfing has been taken a little too far in people's calculations on this board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wish Henry would have stayed behind to get some more WAFL time with Freddy and Treacy. What's the point of him flying over if he isn't going to be played when he could be working on his craft here?
At least two of Western, Giro and Henry will play this week. Good chance of all three and I’d argue Henry is the most likely of the three

there's no surf in Perth and when I been out in the break with Fyfe and Blakely, Blakely was sitting on a pink foam board not doing much while Fyfe was charging waves on his fish. Think the Blakely = surfing has been taken a little too far in people's calculations on this board.

I see Connor out at Rabbits a bit which is a difficult wave to Surf. Fyfe tends to stick to Shallows on his fish down here.

On another note I see Shaunny Mac down here alot as well. Great guy and a passionate Freo man but my 3 boys who surf (and are Dockers members) reckon he's a nightmare in the water. I was chatting with my eldest son down the beach this summer and Shaun came up and apologized for dropping in on him. My son who has been dropped in on by him alot dead panned him and said "no worries we expect it from you these days".:D

Didn't he use to boogie board. We don't need any dragon dicks at Freo 🌊

Did he kick more than 30m? I was disappointed in the depth of his kicking at the start of the year. Several of his passes fell short of the target.
There is a short video highlights package towards the bottom of this article. Not far into the video you can see a very damaging long pass from Henry that sets up a goal for Sturt. Nothing wrong with his depth.

There is a short video highlights package towards the bottom of this article. Not far into the video you can see a very damaging long pass from Henry that sets up a goal for Sturt. Nothing wrong with his depth.

some nice comments about Meek from Bewley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back