Discussion Rugby League/Union Kits discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Canberra wore white, home and away, against Souths in 1982–84 when the Rabbitohs were wearing their “Minties” jersey.
View attachment 1115252 View attachment 1115254

From 1985, when Souths introduced the “red stripe” jersey, both teams wore their regular jerseys as neither had (or needed) an alternate.
View attachment 1115253 View attachment 1115255

And I noticed last night that both teams currently have the wrong shade of green; Souths should be darker, Canberra should be lighter.
Canberra abandoned the super-light (almost faded) lime green after a few years and moved to a more traditional "light" green (as worn through their premierships and as their heritage jersey last night) by the latter half of the decade.
0faa4f07114c344c327f6cf3fb0873d1.jpg
l_1988%20stimorol%20card%2020131123%20(90).jpeg

With the cotton jerseys, it should be noted that they weren't as, for lack of a better term, "reflective" of light (more matte finish) which did help make things clearer even on the smaller TVs of the time - the Raiders did revive the white alternate for a time in the late 80s and early 90s but unsure if it was worn against Souths. The Raiders probably could/should have come into the league in gold and navy representing the ACT, but could have clashed with Parra who had moved to a very dark shade of royal blue (the Hardiflex era jerseys).

One of the clashes that I forget about until I watch it is, funnily enough, Souths (green and red) and Manly (maroon and white). If you watch that game on mobile or in SD, both jerseys look brown in motion and depending on the lighting (generally this happens more in night games) can actually get really clashy if both teams are in white shorts (which Manly wear with the home jersey and Souths wear with their away jersey). It's normally okay watching at the ground unless Souths wear a jersey with extra black such as some of our past indigenous strips.

Canberra abandoned the super-light (almost faded) lime green after a few years and moved to a more traditional "light" green (as worn through their premierships and as their heritage jersey last night) by the latter half of the decade.

With the cotton jerseys, it should be noted that they weren't as, for lack of a better term, "reflective" of light (more matte finish) which did help make things clearer even on the smaller TVs of the time - the Raiders did revive the white alternate for a time in the late 80s and early 90s but unsure if it was worn against Souths. The Raiders probably could/should have come into the league in gold and navy representing the ACT, but could have clashed with Parra who had moved to a very dark shade of royal blue (the Hardiflex era jerseys).

1988 was when they darkened (see team photos attached).

I think that the white jersey from the early 90s was only worn in preseason games.

Attachments

• CA 1987.jpg
    CA 1987.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 55
  • CA 1988.jpg
    CA 1988.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 57

Can't they just wear the men's kits? This just seems like they're not putting it up on the same pedestal
I would like multiple games, same kits, same sponsors. The women's game overall still doesn't seem to have as much care given compared to the men's or other women's comps.

Wow, Brydens just have zero shits to give now. Can someone do a mockups of the Brydens logo without the massive bubble around it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the regulations?
I don't know, as I put in brackets I would guess teams can only sell x number of retail jerseys a year - would guess it's around the 5 mark (home, away, special/heritage/charity/etc., ANZAC, indigenous). WT have already got 3 listed - home, away, ANZAC on Roar Store.

Either that, or they've some regulation that prevents them from selling Balmain or WSM designs any more - they used to wear them each year for heritage round but the past 5 or so years have never worn a pre-merge strip.

Found this from a 10-year old document so doubt it's still in use but idk the reason, just posting what the club themselves have said

Must have some issue with the regulations considering they are going to sell the unders and 2nds jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back