Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

good defenders use their body to their advantage to negate the McKay type players

But like I said he is killing it at the moment, but the other Carlton poster saying no one can stop him one on one is a bit of a stretch. If he had said it is extremely difficult to stop him one on one I would agree with that

I actually asked “what defender can consistently beat McKay in a one on one” and not that no one can stop him.

I actually highlighted that May/Lever types are the best at negating talls like Harry. He is certainly beatable but if you’re happy to leave him one out I’m sure that’s fine by the Blues.

Agree that Fyfe is not in contention at this stage. But would he be if he kicked straight? 100%

good defenders use their body to their advantage to negate the McKay type players

But like I said he is killing it at the moment, but the other Carlton poster saying no one can stop him one on one is a bit of a stretch. If he had said it is extremely difficult to stop him one on one I would agree with that

Arguably the best defender in the league really struggled against him, both one-on-one and on the lead. That's the beauty of McKay these days - he's developed his body and his positioning to the point even big bodied defenders can't do much.

Having a defender cut across is really the method of beating him, but if a ball comes in quickly it's a pretty easy grab for Harry. He's also kicking goals from everywhere currently.

Agree that Fyfe is not in contention at this stage. But would he be if he kicked straight? 100%

Yes - 34 disposals and 5.1 (instead of 0.6) and 30 and 4.0 (instead of 0.4) would have been 2 of the top 7-8 individual performances this year. That level of standout would have got him in. But I don't think he can be in with 1.12 and not quite a standout midfielder all round.

I actually asked “what defender can consistently beat McKay in a one on one” and not that no one can stop him.

I actually highlighted that May/Lever types are the best at negating talls like Harry. He is certainly beatable but if you’re happy to leave him one out I’m sure that’s fine by the Blues.

can't wait for the mckay brothers battle. ben's really stamped himself as a super reliable key defender in the absence of robbie tarrant and aidan corr, surely they'll play on each other.

Peoples perceptions of the AA team, are becoming more and more esque by the year..

The AA team should be the best 22 players, in their positions, for the year..
Being, on top of the ladder, a top 4 or a top 8 team, means jack s**t when picking the best players.
Just means you have the best team working as a team..

Peoples perceptions of the AA team, are becoming more and more esque by the year..

The AA team should be the best 22 players, in their positions, for the year..
Being, on top of the ladder, a top 4 or a top 8 team, means jack sh*t when picking the best players.
Just means you have the best team working as a team..
It should, but that's rarely the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw a stat that said 52% of all Picketts touches result in a score involvement

That has to put him in AA contention

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It’s a terrific stat but how many times he’s touched it is also key.

Last edited:
Just saw a stat that said 52% of all Picketts touches result in a score involvement

That has to put him in AA contention

He's also had more groundball gets in the forward 50 than any other player this season.

Being involved in chains that lead to scores he's presently second.

These are the reasons that Gerard Healy said like night on 3AW that Pickett has the small forward position sewn up at the end of round 7.

Not to mention the eye test for those who actually like watching footy.

Last edited:
He's also had more groundball gets in the forward 50 than any other player this season.

These are the reasons that Gerard Healy said like night on 3AW that Pickett has the small forward position sown up at the end of round 7.

did he sow his oats?

These are the reasons that Gerard Healy said like night on 3AW that Pickett has the small forward position sown up at the end of round 7.

Melbourne have had the most inside 50s. Makes sense that one of their players is leading one of the most obscure stats yet. “Most ground ball gets inside 50”. Which small forward has kicked the most goals?

How does he compare in % and totals to the other big guns like AMT, Greene etc?
Nor sure tbh

Just heard the Pickett one

They're not competing for a position. One's a medium small forward the other is a small forward.

When it comes to the All Australian team they are effectively the same.

Mark LeCras in his career was always competing with players like Betts and Milne for spots in the AA team even though he was more of a medium forward and not a crumber.

When it comes to the All Australian team they are effectively the same.

Mark LeCras in his career was always competing with players like Betts and Milne for spots in the AA team even though he was more of a medium forward and not a crumber.
I have zero doubt that if Kozzi and Greene keep up their form til year's end that they'll both be selected.

I very much doubt the selectors will be deciding between the two.

Would your uncle be your aunt if he had a fanny?
Just saying that stats like score involvement can be misleading. Fyfe is averaging 9 per game. 3 of which are probably him missing. People raving about Pickett saying 52% of his stats are score involvements @7 per game. Fyfe averaging 26 disposals and 33% are score involvements and he is playing mostly midfield.
would be interested to see what defines a score involvement. Does kicking out from full back count?

B: T. Stewart A. Aliir J. Ridley
HB: D. Rich J. Weitering J. Lever
C: H. McCluggage J. Macrae S. Walsh
HF: S. Bolton T. Walker C. Petracca
F: K. Pickett H. McKay T. Greene
FOLL: M. Gawn D. Mundy J. Lyons
Inter: C. Guthrie B. Ellis C. Salem C. Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Back