Fremantle Under Longmuir

Rebuilds f****** suck

I understand your pain dear friend but trust me when I say there will be a light at the end of the tunnel one day or another and your club will become a finals contention club again.

My club was in a once-twice-thrice-how many times rebuild for pretty much 10-15+ years (most of my life lol) and especially when you support a club outside of the state you live in and only get to see your club 1-2 a year at most, you watch some pretty horrendous results occur live and you always ask to yourself if the pain of rebuilding all the time will ever end at your club. It was only ever since Fages & Nobes joined our club in 2017 in which the ball started moving in our rebuild from a bottom 4 team to a top 4 team now and even that, we have been so lucky in some many ways with that so I can't whinge there. The main thing is though all the pain from losing now and before will turn into more excitement and emotional when your club starts winning again on a more regular basis and makes finals :)

So far this season though, your club has been doing pretty well with getting some good wins under the belt early on in the season. Yes, they were wins against lower-ranked opposition don't get me wrorng, but it's nice to get those wins early to allow the club to have a purpose to keep winning throughout the season and not worry have to look at the future in Round 8 sitting at 18th position. In fact, your club actually looked quite good in the 1st half against the Eagles and should seriously take out some positives of that for the younger group of players that look quite good already.

The other thing as well is that your club seriously did well last year to finish where you were, given the whole COVID situation and not playing at your home for most of the season and you should seriously be applauded for that given the squad you had in your disposal compared to the Eagles that whinged there whole way through the QLD bubble and got knocked out, 1st week of finals even though they have a very good playing squad.

Just enjoy the ride of the rebuild mate with the group you have now though, sure it f****** sucks right now and it seems like your questioning if the team will ever be good again, but trust me when I say my team had been in rebuild mode for 10-15+ years and we have found the light at the end of the tunnel now. Every team finds the light at the end of the tunnel when they rebuild in the end (maybe not Gold Coast yet lol) but it just takes longer for interstate clubs like ourselves and yours to rebuild, that's all but it will happen one day where you team becomes good again :)

Anyways, good luck for your team on Sunday against our mob as well and hopefully we see a cracking 4 quarter performance from both teams out there like last year encounter was ;)

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
There's a lot of stuff to not like about us right now but there's plenty to like too. Our young midfield core are gaining chemistry with Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra, Taberner has cemented himself as a legitimate key forward (4th in the Coleman on 20 goals), no matter how many brain fades he may have he still manages to kick a few goals in every game. Our depth players like Acres, Aish, Colyer, Conca etc. Are all over performing by their expectations by a long shot. Darcy is getting better every week and he'll be looking to cement himself as a top ruckman in the next couple of years. Mundy is in Brownlow form.

Yeah there's a lot of doom and gloom right now, there's stuff not to like, but there's plenty of things to look forward to with the club, you'd be silly not to see that.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I get the other ones, but expectations must've been pretty damn low for Blake Acres if this is overperforming.

The problem with these guys is apart from Colyer, who is equally capable of making some horrible blunders, you just don't really want any of them having 20 touches because they have no hurt factor. Their old clubs were happy to give them up for very little because they're career C-graders, and became very replaceable.

In Freo's position it's not a big issue because they're desperately needing some senior support, but having so many middle-aged role players makes it hard to progress long-term and they really need to start cycling some of these guys out of their 22.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I get the other ones, but expectations must've been pretty damn low for Blake Acres if this is overperforming.
He was Part of the Brad Hill trade. Dont care what anyone says about this trade 5-10 years from now.

To get Serong, Acres and Aish in that Brad hill trade is a solid outcome.

Dont care what anyone says About Blake Acres: He is a solid B-grade mid. Yeah he averages around 20 disposals a game. He will get the occasional 25-30 disposal game. Its a massive bonus if he added 10-15 goals a season in him.

James Aish averages 15 disposals a game. He is a solid B or C grade Role player too. Plays more on a back flank and on the wing.

The problem with these guys is apart from Colyer, who is equally capable of making some horrible blunders, you just don't really want any of them having 20 touches because they have no hurt factor. Their old clubs were happy to give them up for very little because they're career C-graders, and became very replaceable.

In Freo's position it's not a big issue because they're desperately needing some senior support, but having so many middle-aged role players makes it hard to progress long-term and they really need to start cycling some of these guys out of their 22.

That depends on how you see it.... I look back at Freos 2012-15 era when they made finals. Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce, Nick Suban and Tendai Mzungu. They are not Blokes to build your team around but role players you play off the bench and have the occasional great game. Those 4 blokes back in 2015 were played over the younger and more talented blokes such as Connor Blakely, Lachie Weller and Ed Langdon because of one reason: they were experienced and had the endurance to run out 4 quarters of footy. Not too many young players could do that.

When 2016 arrived and freo were 0-10 and crippled with injuries, Those 3 young blokes in Blakely, Langdon and Weller all played 15-20 games each. I think Weller played all 22 games in 2016.

I look back at the end of that 2016 season. I look at the guys of Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce, Nick Suban and Tendai Mzungu. of those 4 the only ones I would of gave contracts for 2017 was Matt Deboer and Clancee pearce who would of been depth on the wing. Suban was average, Mzungu was already 31 years old.

But the current role players..... As I said, Blake Acres is a Solid B grade mid that averages 20 disposals a game. I dont mind him. But he would make a difference if he could kick 10-15 goals a year. Brad Hill won our Best and Fairest in 2017 averaging 25 disposals a game and kicked 13 goals and 14 behinds.

Travis Coyler was traded for a future 4th rounder. Thats not bad considering he kicked 54 goals from 87 games. And he is a midfielder/Forward. Basically a fringe/ rotation player. He has kicked 7 goals from 7 games so far this season.

James Aish is to me another solid B or C grade mid. The bloke averages 15 disposals a game. Again, Like Acres, I would rate him more if he kicks 10-15 goals a season.

Another role player that is actually young is Michael Frederick. I was there at Adelaide oval when Freo Beat the crows. Frederick was rotating on a wing and half forward flank. Only got 12 disposals on that game but kicked 1 goal and 2 behinds. Could of easily kicked another goal or 2 if he snapped those chances correctly. he has got 68 disposals in his last 6 games. He is getting games due to his versatility and he is only 20 years old.

Now you mention that its hard to progress with So many Middle aged role players.... thats a 50-50 view. I dont mind playing role players in that 23-28 year old range as long as the kids are rotated too.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

You’ve got no idea , Aish is head and shoulders our best deliverer inside 50 like 10-15 % better than the next bloke

Doesn’t get it enough but hurt factor is his 1 wood

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You’ve got no idea , Aish is head and shoulders our best deliverer inside 50 like 10-15 % better than the next bloke

Doesn’t get it enough but hurt factor is his 1 wood

David Mundy goes alright.

A bit of an indictment if James Aish is considered one of your best distributors inside 50.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
David Mundy goes alright.

A bit of an indictment if James Aish is considered one of your best distributors inside 50.

Think what you want , he’s no better than ok because he gets brushed aside , his pressure is poor and has trouble winning his own ball but he’s a winger so i50’s are a big part of the role , stats can lie sometimes but a good retention percentage for kick inside 50 means he’s good at that particular part of the game

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Going to preface by saying I’ve seen maybe 3-4 games in total, but has anything changed from last year under Ross Lyon?
I’m going to preface this by saying this is all I read but your opinion means squat.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
As a collective midfield unit, poor and soft.

I still stick by my Henry comments. Rubbish if you'd spent pick 60 on him.... and they didn't.

The club has finally broken the spirit of Fyfe.

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
As a collective midfield unit, poor and soft.

I still stick by my Henry comments. Rubbish if you'd spent pick 60 on him.... and they didn't.

The club has finally broken the spirit of Fyfe.

Fyfe part of the problem. If you're a teammate you can't respect a man with a haircut like that. I guarantee his teammates secretly despise him.

Let's face it. Teams pick players like Henry for one reason.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
1621838574458.png

Tough run home. 6/12 of those teams are in the 8, and one of the others are Richmond. Not convinced we pip anyone for finals from our current position, although I guess we have the benefit of playing the rivals for those final top 8 spots.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 1136126

Tough run home. 6/12 of those teams are in the 8, and one of the others are Richmond. Not convinced we pip anyone for finals from our current position, although I guess we have the benefit of playing the rivals for those final top 8 spots.
Taking a leaf out of the Saints book of over estimating your lists abilities this could be a good thing .
Our team isn’t ready to seriously challenge top 4 teams so if we were to jag the 8 then we get a tough draw in 2022 .
Would prefer we stay competitive, don’t have any blowouts and finish around 10th where we belong right now .
Pray to the Footy Gods that we have a reasonable year for injuries next year then push for finals .

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Taking a leaf out of the Saints book of over estimating your lists abilities this could be a good thing .
Our team isn’t ready to seriously challenge top 4 teams so if we were to jag the 8 then we get a tough draw in 2022 .
Would prefer we stay competitive, don’t have any blowouts and finish around 10th where we belong right now .
Pray to the Footy Gods that we have a reasonable year for injuries next year then push for finals .

I'll take jagging the 8 thanks.

We've been out of the finals too long and any finals experience is good experience.

Back