Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

To use the term "fear" is far from accurate. Do you fear mosquitoes? Probably not. Them being around ruins your picnic - but it doesnt ruin your life.

So...you bring the bug spray along.

PAFC wearing prison bars wouldn't DESTROY Collingwood, but it would IMPACT their brand value in a negative way.

A part of Collingwoods brand identity is "the team that wears black and white stripes in the AFL". This has been leveraged and cultivated over decades in this league, and it is worth something.

Port, do not lay claim to the same thing in the AFL (they do in the SANFL, but not in the league they are in now).

Continualy using Premier league clubs, or NBA teams (or even A league teams) as counter examples do not lend weight to you argument. They, for many reasons, do not leverage their jersey imagery in the same way as Collingwood specifically, and the AFL generally, do.

There are lots of reasons for this.
Port don't wear black and white stripes in the SANFL.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do they wear?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A black jumper with a one white horizontal bar with 6 white vertical bars below it creating a representation of wharf pylons.

Nothing as mundane as simple black and white stripes.

Thursday, it’s centrelink day so I’m expecting this thread to die down a bit

you're the only one here who knows when "centrelink day" is

Who actually owns Port? In the event they're wound up assets are split 50/50 with Port Inc and the AFL...

Who actually owns Port? In the event they're wound up assets are split 50/50 with Port Inc and the AFL...

AFL has control over the PAFC with 8/10 board members elected by the AFL. The remaining 2 members are elected by PAFC members. Previously we were controlled by the SANFL up to 2014. At no stage have we had independant control of our club since our AFL ascension in 1997. The price of entry (licence paid twice!!!) into the big league I guess. This is the same situation for the Adelaide Crows too since their inception with the SANFL then hand over to the AFL.

One of our appointed AFL board members is none other than Cos Cardone who is associated with Mcguire Media. I am not sure why this conflict of interest still exists but its the way AFL likes to operate I guess.

AFL has control over the PAFC with 8/10 board members elected by the AFL. The remaining 2 members are elected by PAFC members. Previously we were controlled by the SANFL up to 2014. At no stage have we had independant control of our club since our AFL ascension in 1997. The price of entry (licence paid twice!!!) into the big league I guess. This is the same situation for the Adelaide Crows too since their inception with the SANFL then hand over to the AFL.

One of our appointed AFL board members is none other than Cos Cardone who is associated with Mcguire Media. I am not sure why this conflict of interest still exists but its the way AFL likes to operate I guess.
Don't waste your time trying to explain this to a supporter of a Victorian Club, they won't understand this. Believe me, I have tried.

Like me, I assume you aware that on top of both of Adelaide and Port Adelaide not having any control over their board, neither West Coast nor Fremantle do either. Even those standing for election on to the board can be voted on by the members are from a shortlist drawn up by the club. It is nothing more than marketing spin. I suspect you are already aware of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood's legal team (and all club legal teams for that matter) wouldn't be doing their jobs properly if they didnt have a clause written into all player contracts stipulating that they reserve the right to terminate contract (with payout) for certain circumstances.

Makes you wonder...what were the nuffies on Ports Legal team doing back in the mid 90s if the prison bars were so important to them?

I would think Port Adelaide probably tried tried but was refused by Collingwood.

I wonder if a player can also disagree to this on a contract? Free to go to another club if a club refuses to budge.

Another example I can think of, which admittedly is once again not completely applicable to this argument but does hold at least a little bit of water, is the case of Ferrari in F1.

They are by & large the most widely recognized & supported team in the field & their brand has not been diminished one iota by all of the teams which fielded red cars over the decades. Sure, some people in the past may have confused other teams which raced in red for Ferrari, but it has never been a problem for sponsors... ever.

Don't bring reasoned arguments here.

We all know the reason this is even an issue is because Collingwood want to appear as meaning something. A power struggle for their relevance but in reality they're just a below average football club.

I agree with you that the black and white prison bar jumper should not be worn in the AFL. Or just incorporate some very small teal stripes into it.
In regards to identity I would think the PAFC identity has always been linked to black and white stripes also.
Of course they have, but that history and identity was in SANFL. Nobody wanting to stop Port wearing black n white 'Bars in SANFL like they have done for majority of their 150 years playing in that competition.

They have been in AFL for what 25 years now, their AFL identity has nothing to do with the 'Bars....sure a poor strategic move perhaps and all part of the mess of their joining and being forced to create separate clubs/teams.

And yes, Port identity has been the Magpies....but they seem fine to give that up!

this is inherently shallow and a meek argument. your identity is who you are as a club and what you do and say -

the reasons: it is shallow and small-time to base your entire identity around 2 colors
So then who cares about the 'Bars?

Why are Port fans so desperate to cling to something as inconsequential as the 'Bars.

A small-time jumper that they didn't even always use in a regional competition they were desperate to move on from!!

Don't waste your time trying to explain this to a supporter of a Victorian Club, they won't understand this. Believe me, I have tried.

Like me, I assume you aware that on top of both of Adelaide and Port Adelaide not having any control over their board, neither West Coast nor Fremantle do either. Even those standing for election on to the board can be voted on by the members are from a shortlist drawn up by the club. It is nothing more than marketing spin. I suspect you are already aware of this.

AFL has majority control over Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney, Port and Adelaide
WAFC has total control over Fremantle and West Coast.

All Victorian clubs and Brisbane are member owned. Quite how the Lions are, but the Swans arent is a little beyond me.

Of course they have, but that history and identity was in SANFL. Nobody wanting to stop Port wearing black n white 'Bars in SANFL like they have done for majority of their 150 years playing in that competition.

They have been in AFL for what 25 years now, their AFL identity has nothing to do with the 'Bars....sure a poor strategic move perhaps and all part of the mess of their joining and being forced to create separate clubs/teams.

And yes, Port identity has been the Magpies....but they seem fine to give that up!

So then who cares about the 'Bars?

The club left the SANFL to join the AFL, the history and what you identify your club with doesn’t change. They have not been able to play in the bars in the AFL. Doesn’t change that it’s their history and who the club is though.

No, I understand 100%. Port supporters want their SANFL tradition recognised as AFL tradition. Unfortunately Port sold their soul to have a team in the AFL.

No, I understand 100%. Port supporters want their SANFL tradition recognised as AFL tradition. Unfortunately Port sold their soul to have a team in the AFL.
Glad to hear it. Many other posters who follow Victorian clubs in different forums have argued otherwise with me in the past.

No argument from me on the second part of your post. The Power, and a lot of their supporters, don't seem to understand that there are some of there own supporters that hate the prison bar jumper as they went for, and still do go for, other SANFL teams. Likewise, there are old Port Magpies fans in the SANFL that don't follow the Power. Predictably, a lot of their supporters on this forum will howl me down, purely because I am a Crows supporter.

No sorry, we're not as smart as you, why don't you explain the difference to us.

Those milk farmers don't have to sell their milk to Woolies or Coles after all. Nobody is forcing Optus and Vodafone to compete in the Australian telecommunications market.

And then you can explain why bigger and smaller majors sports leagues all over the world can have 2 teams wear the same colours without either team suffering because of it.

Hey BustedWing

Did you want to stop dodging these questions?

Specifically, what is different about Collingwood and the AFL when compared with the other major professional sporting leagues, both bigger and smaller, both open and closed, when it comes to another team using the same colours?

AFL has majority control over Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney, Port and Adelaide
WAFC has total control over Fremantle and West Coast.

All Victorian clubs and Brisbane are member owned. Quite how the Lions are, but the Swans arent is a little beyond me.
The post you responded to was regarding the voting process for members of the clubs that I mention. Not who owns the licence for those clubs.

Would agree with you though that the Lions being member owned and the Swans not being member owned is beyond strange though. Especially as the Lions are formed from a merger, whereas the Swans were not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back