PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is that? I haven't seen it for under $2699.
Samsung EPP (Enhanced Partnership Portal), if you have an email account with one of the registered businesses you can often get some cool deals, government addresses work too.

I think the Samsung Education Portal has similar pricing if you have access to a .edu.au address, and HP also has a similar program (CEPP)

I think my old PSU might be on the way out :mad: Both of my mechanical drives (on the same power cable) either fail to detect or aren't accessible in Windows, but sticking them in a USB dock works fine. It's gotta be 10 years old (Corsair HX650) so it's had a good run. It's also a more palatable problem to deal with than a rebuild or motherboard. Updated AMD chipset drivers haven't helped, and MSI's s**t website complete with broken driver download sections definitely doesn't help.

Awesome, the model I was after Corsair RM750X is about to be replaced with a refreshed model......... and there's no stock anywhere. At least I got a good deal on the older one from Amazon.

There's a huge amount more in the event viewer, but I don't understand most of them. :D There were a few issues with Audacity as well which I've just uninstalled as I don't even know why it was on here in the first place.

Anyway, I'll run without CAM + Audacity and see if it happens again before I try to delve into all the other stuff.
All been fine since disabling CAM btw. I don't care enough to open it back up and try to figure out exactly what's going on, I'll just leave it.

All been fine since disabling CAM btw. I don't care enough to open it back up and try to figure out exactly what's going on, I'll just leave it.

CAM should basically be treated as malware.

I'm not sure if the lists I looked up are accurate, but it looks like the quality of games drops aways pretty significantly after 2k21. Free is free though.

It's all about building libraries to eat into Steam first thinking.

I must admit, I have bought 3 or 4 non-exclusive games on Epic now. Their store really should be better by now though.

I'm not sure if the lists I looked up are accurate, but it looks like the quality of games drops aways pretty significantly after 2k21. Free is free though.
They always throw a popular title in first up to get peoples attention, then it'll be followed by a stack of no-name titles. Either way it's free games, I'll claim them anyway. The only games I've actually paid for on the platform are Borderlands 3 and the Tony Hawk Remaster

I would happily buy more games on Epic if the deals are right. I've only got Borderlands 3, Metro, Control and Mortal Shell on it, I assume because they were timed exclusives. I don't have any issues with Epic or their store so I'm not too fussed about the freebies. The launcher is slowly improving. I jumped on Metro Exodus again recently with the EE update and noticed they finally have achiements lol. Just needs a community section now (unless it does and I can't see it) and it's pretty much set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These new LHR cards from Nvidia are too little too late imho.

Apparently they did start them a while ago but they couldn't really make them when there is no demand even earlier. I'll give that the benefit of the doubt on that. But will miners care? Any card is profitable. And even if they go for the LHRs by the time consumer cards become readily available we'll be closer to the next gen. I wonder if both AMD and NVIDIA hold off their next ones for a while should Ampere and big Navi become readily available? Perfect excuse to refine the next gen even more.

Apparently they did start them a while ago but they couldn't really make them when there is no demand even earlier. I'll give that the benefit of the doubt on that. But will miners care? Any card is profitable. And even if they go for the LHRs by the time consumer cards become readily available we'll be closer to the next gen. I wonder if both AMD and NVIDIA hold off their next ones for a while should Ampere and big Navi become readily available? Perfect excuse to refine the next gen even more.
Hopefully (for me anyway) Crypo continues to crash and mining becomes unprofitable again. It might see a heap of 2nd hand cards flood the market and prices return to normal.

Hi guys, i’ve been looking to build a pc for about 18 months now and i’m pretty pc illiterate. Someone had recommended me a 3070 that was about $1049 during december when there was no stock on scorptec and it’s now like 2k. What’s the likelyhood of them going down in price? Should i continue to wait it out? The 3080s are so expensive now as well.

Hi guys, i’ve been looking to build a pc for about 18 months now and i’m pretty pc illiterate. Someone had recommended me a 3070 that was about $1049 during december when there was no stock on scorptec and it’s now like 2k. What’s the likelyhood of them going down in price? Should i continue to wait it out? The 3080s are so expensive now as well.

Right now is the worst time in years to build anything.

If you think you're illiterate at building then look up company that does builds. Not anyone like Scorptec, PLE or PCCG because they build from their own supply which is always sold out. There are others but I regularly get ads for Aftershock PC who were advertising they had limited 3080s and 3070s in stock only last week. As they don't sell the parts individually you won't be paying a stupid price since they get them from the suppliers as their own standard prices. You will get less choice in customisation as opposed to building it yourself but right now it's probably the most reliable way to get a new build. Also, if you don't rate yourself at it then at least you know someone else is putting it together and testing it for you.

If you tell us what you'll be using it for and the kind of budget you were looking at and we could help point you in the right direction.

Right now is the worst time in years to build anything.

If you think you're illiterate at building then look up company that does builds. Not anyone like Scorptec, PLE or PCCG because they build from their own supply which is always sold out. There are others but I regularly get ads for Aftershock PC who were advertising they had limited 3080s and 3070s in stock only last week. As they don't sell the parts individually you won't be paying a stupid price since they get them from the suppliers as their own standard prices. You will get less choice in customisation as opposed to building it yourself but right now it's probably the most reliable way to get a new build. Also, if you don't rate yourself at it then at least you know someone else is putting it together and testing it for you.

If you tell us what you'll be using it for and the kind of budget you were looking at and we could help point you in the right direction.

Gaming for the most part, anything work related i usually just use office 365 myob and a few other programs. The build a friend was helping me put together was $3050 and is now $3800 ish. Ideally i'd like to pay $3k but willing to fork out another 500 if it means i can get something that can last me 4 years or so with little hassle. I'm looking for a new monitor as well so ideally nothing over 4k all together. I'm in no rush to get it, i just don't know when to pull the trigger with current prices.

Gaming for the most part, anything work related i usually just use office 365 myob and a few other programs. The build a friend was helping me put together was $3050 and is now $3800 ish. Ideally i'd like to pay $3k but willing to fork out another 500 if it means i can get something that can last me 4 years or so with little hassle. I'm looking for a new monitor as well so ideally nothing over 4k all together. I'm in no rush to get it, i just don't know when to pull the trigger with current prices.

Honestly, your best bet is to just get a pre-build and build one next time. It is not a good time at all to build.

Can you remember the key parts of the build you previously had planned? I'll have a look around later at the prebuilds but you'd be set with a 3070, 5600x CPU and 16gb of RAM. That should cruise in under $3k

Can you remember the key parts of the build you previously had planned? I'll have a look around later at the prebuilds but you'd be set with a 3070, 5600x CPU and 16gb of RAM. That should cruise in under $3k
1TB Samsung SSD 1TB Seagate HDD
i5 10600k
Corsair Obsidian 500D Black
Corsair 16 x2 3200 MHz
gigabyte geforce 3070 RTX gaming oc 8g
windows home 10
750 w 80+ corsair power supply
i don't remember what motherboard but it was like $400-500. i don't really care about rgb and flashy lights (my mum has epilepsy) so i would rather pay for performance and longevity.

Would waiting 6-12 months have any positive impact on prices or is it likely to get worse?
The hope is that an upcoming change to the way that Etherium (the main cryptocurrency driving the current price hikes) will come into effect late this year, but its hard to say. Until just running a GPU constantly doing pointless calculations (which is what cryptocurrency mining is) becomes unprofitable, the prices will only get worse

1TB Samsung SSD 1TB Seagate HDD
i5 10600k
Corsair Obsidian 500D Black
Corsair 16 x2 3200 MHz
gigabyte geforce 3070 RTX gaming oc 8g
windows home 10
750 w 80+ corsair power supply
i don't remember what motherboard but it was like $400-500. i don't really care about rgb and flashy lights (my mum has epilepsy) so i would rather pay for performance and longevity.

I'll remember to have a look around later and see what the prebuilds a like in that range.

Would waiting 6-12 months have any positive impact on prices or is it likely to get worse?

NVIDIA are releasing mining cards shortly which is supposed to alleviate the demand on the gaming cards. If that actually works then both prices and stock will improve in that time. If not you're only kicking the can down the street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back