Preview Changes Rd 8 vs Port Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Defender Fog was 2019 and that was just a Pyke desperation move due to injuries leaving us completely bare for defenders. There was never any intention of trying to "turn" him into a defender, he was just put there cause he was the last tall bloke we had healthy.

I actually think this is the first time we have given Fog a plan to try and develop him into a more well rounded player, rather than just plonking him forward cause he played there as a junior. He went back to the SANFL last week to work on some things and get more reps into his midfield training, which at least at SANFL level showed some improvement.

If we had of done this 2 years ago with him he'd be well advanced and we'd know for sure what he's capable of, but it's too late to change that now.
Precisely.

We've played him in the middle in the 2s, brought him into the seniors into the same role..... That didn't happen under Pyke.

i’m now completely convinced that Roo has a massive say in selection. he’s been about the only constant in the last 4/5 years when it comes to the football operations, everyone else has been moved on/changed.. 4 or 5 years where this “experienced player must be picked over youth please” policy has been in place.

Roo loves Mookay.. goes out of his way to praise him in games when providing the boundary line comments no matter how mediocre the bloke is.

Roo loves “the connector” too.. “well, he is the connector” he says at least twice a game. even though the “connector“ plays one good game in every three, if that.

can definitely see Roo using his position to put pressure on the selection panel to select these two lads at every opportunity.

worrell shouldnt have re-signed... its fu**in disgusting how poorly that lad has been treated at the selection table.

hope we lose by 100. we dont deserve to win and nothing will change unless there is a good string of massive beltings.. bring them on.
The Worrell mismanagement reminds me of Jack Gunston. We don't play the player when he is clearly ready and make it easy for a club to swoop in. Wouldn't be surprised if Worrell asks for a trade and goes on to win a flag or two at another club.

So we saw what the result was of an undersized defence, but chose to go back to it??
Murray plays well in defence, goes forward and looks like the only bloke any chance of taking a mark and we...drop him??
Himmelberg couldn't catch Covid in India, but he stays in?
We overload our forward line with tall and not very mobile guys, in a game we know will be wet and slippery?

Are our coaches ok??!
Overall good changes. Worrell should be debuting... Rowe lucky.

How i would line up...

B: Kelly, Butts, Doedee
HB: Smith, Himmelberg, Hamill
C: Seedsman, Keays, Sholl
HF: McHenry, Fogarty, Murphy
F: Rowe, Walker, Thilthorpe
R: O'Brien, Sloane Laird
I: Brown, Schoenberg, Mackay, Berry
Sub Worrell (hopefully a late in)

I watched his two games and he was totally unnoticeable.. sorry... vanilla...big guy.. unseen stats

he has played 2 games in a new system to him, needs games under the belt to get comfortable with it

And that's why they're trying it IMO. Personally I'd have dropped Himmelberg and played him forward, but we probably should persist with the midfield experiment for the year.

If nothing else it could be that he adds that string to his bow in short bursts

So 4 years of wasted investment to date, and his career, because we didn't have a plan for him when we drafted, and still appear to be grasping at straws?

To be clear - I don't put that all on Nicks, but I am becoming concerned that he's now reverting to what we've seen for the last ~3 years (and I'd even add our GF year, where our selections at time were baffling, and undoubtedly cost us).

Defender Fog was 2019 and that was just a Pyke desperation move due to injuries leaving us completely bare for defenders. There was never any intention of trying to "turn" him into a defender, he was just put there cause he was the last tall bloke we had healthy.

I actually think this is the first time we have given Fog a plan to try and develop him into a more well rounded player, rather than just plonking him forward cause he played there as a junior. He went back to the SANFL last week to work on some things and get more reps into his midfield training, which at least at SANFL level showed some improvement.

If we had of done this 2 years ago with him he'd be well advanced and we'd know for sure what he's capable of, but it's too late to change that now.

I can half accept this, but I still think the issue is we can't find space for him in our forwardline, so we're trying to shoehorn him in somewhere else.

We should be building the forward line around Fog and now TT - not trying and failing to fit him into the structure.

So 4 years of wasted investment to date, and his career, because we don't have a plan for him?
Didn't*

Yeah I think so, which isn't his fault of course. As soon as we knew he wasn't going to make it as a forward in the immediate term, this experiment should have started IMO

So 4 years of wasted investment to date, and his career, because we don't have a plan for him?
HUh?

It looks pretty clear with him reportedly doing a big pre-season that the plan was to eventually get him into the midfield whether he makes it there I'm not sure but everything points to that being a pretty obvious plan at this point in time.

Previously that was not an option with his suspect endurance.

So many people are pissy, not sure why. Hately needs to get some aggression into his game, built like tarzan and playing on the outside waiting for the ball too much. Macpherson and McAdam have been terrible. Mackay was actually pretty good last game but everyone likes to whip him. Rowe is very lucky.

We might find Himmelberg playing in defense tomorrow which is a good idea and rolling FOG through the middle and forward has to remain.

I like the changes although the move I would have made is Himmelberg out and Worrell in, but all others are fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't*

Yeah I think so, which isn't his fault of course. As soon as we knew he wasn't going to make it as a forward in the immediate term, this experiment should have started IMO

I'll cop what you and MRB are saying, that's fair.

As I said, I don't blame Nicks - but I believe Fog is a forward; my frustration is that we aren't making room for him in the forwardline, in a way that might actually allow him to flourish.

When we recruit a talent that highly rated, in that position, then we should adjust the structure of the forward line to accommodate; not structure up ignoring the personnel and talent we have.

HUh?

It looks pretty clear with him reportedly doing a big pre-season that the plan was to eventually get him into the midfield whether he makes it there I'm not sure but everything points to that being a pretty obvious plan at this point in time.

Previously that was not an option with his suspect endurance.

Where he did play when he kicked 3 goals?

I can half accept this, but I still think the issue is we can't find space for him in our forwardline, so we're trying to shoehorn him in somewhere else.

We should be building the forward line around Fog and now TT - not trying and failing to fit him into the structure.
I think both he and Thilthorpe have too much talent to say they're both just forwards. Fog in particular, to have a guy with his size and strength you can throw into the middle to potentially turn the game on its head would be a huge advantage to have.

So we saw what the result was of an undersized defence, but chose to go back to it??
Murray plays well in defence, goes forward and looks like the only bloke any chance of taking a mark and we...drop him??
Himmelberg couldn't catch Covid in India, but he stays in?
We overload our forward line with tall and not very mobile guys, in a game we know will be wet and slippery?

Are our coaches ok??!

It seems so obvious to all....................except our coaches/selectors

Let's hope the weather forecast is accurate (rain to be gone well before the game) otherwise it could be very ugly (uglier?)

So many people are pissy, not sure why. Hately needs to get some aggression into his game, built like tarzan and playing on the outside waiting for the ball too much. Macpherson and McAdam have been terrible. Mackay was actually pretty good last game but everyone likes to whip him. Rowe is very lucky.

We might find Himmelberg playing in defense tomorrow which is a good idea and rolling FOG through the middle and forward has to remain.

I like the changes although the move I would have made is Himmelberg out and Worrell in, but all others are fine

Most people are "pissy" because of the lack of balance in the structure. Only 1 KPD and a heap of tall forwards.

So we abandon the midfield plan that day?

And we're prioritising TT and EH as forwards ahead of him?

I think both he and Thilthorpe have too much talent to say they're both just forwards. Fog in particular, to have a guy with his size and strength you can throw into the middle to potentially turn the game on its head would be a huge advantage to have.

I don't disagree with this - but it'd be nice to actually get him in the team and keep him there, as a starting point.

Forward who can pinch hit in the middle, definitely.

I'll cop what you and MRB are saying, that's fair.

As I said, I don't blame Nicks - but I believe Fog is a forward; my frustration is that we aren't making room for him in the forwardline, in a way that might actually allow him to flourish.

When we recruit a talent that highly rated, in that position, then we should adjust the structure of the forward line to accommodate; not structure up ignoring the personnel and talent we have.
I think he should be playing there instead of Berg, who IMO makes us worse.

I think we needed to add this string to his bow years ago when he was clearly lacking workrate. I don't think he does now, but he's not a naturally gifted athlete that Tex was.

I don‘t see what Himmelberg adds to the team and having DMac playing anything more than a sub is stifling the development of a young player in a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back