Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

We have "beaten" only one top 8 team so far, and were lucky to do so.
I think we will be mid-table this year.
Comp is so even, and losses to any team will not be an upset.
Tigers- we just know they will turn it on whenever there is a perceived challenge, so the Demons win was a beauty.

For what it's worth, I agree. We'll make finals but not much beyond. But that's the point of these forums - to let people express their opinions.

But my earlier post stands - we were in a similar situation last year, and we're in the same position as the Tigers this year. These are facts, and the opinions in this thread will be influenced by the future (facts). If Geelong win the next 4 or 5 (however unlikely), this thread will go mighty quiet. If they lose the next 4 or 5, it's "haha Geelong" for the rest of the year (like recency bias, schadenfreude is a beautiful thing).

Most likely the Cats will lose a few, win a few, and this thread shall just keep on truckin'.

Been horrible going inside 50 with long and high dinky kicks and also been poor kicking set shots. 12 goals 16 last night is not very good efficiency. Same with the North game too, 10 goals 17. Not gonna win many games against good teams with that sort of kicking for goal.

That's strange now you got 2 monster forwards with Cameron and like us we bomb it in at times instead of accessing options while there a players free.

Last time they called the Cats “Too old, too slow” Cats ended up winning the Premiership. History always repeats!

They were great tonight.
Smith is their best recruit this year. And Cameron ain’t bad either.

Cats and Power will be too contenders this year for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same team were good enough last year to be up at half time in the GF. Watching the guys who are supposed to be too old/too slow, they're not slowing down at this stage of the season. And then Higgins, Cameron and Smith have been added to the that side. So much still needs to go right and there's always a bit of luck involved IMO to get there but Cats' best based on tonight and the West Coast game suggest they could be there again.

Geelong have been a dominant H&A side for a decade. I dont think this is anything new and doesn't answer any questions on them until September which is where they've failed.

Well they need to get the opportunity first.

Flags are bloody hard to win and they have done remarkably well to stay in the mix.

Last time they called the Cats “Too old, too slow” Cats ended up winning the Premiership. History always repeats!

Revisionist history claims Scott was gifted a premiership team, when at the time people expected cats to slide in 2011, especially after the 2010 prelim mauling.

Well they need to get the opportunity first.

Flags are bloody hard to win and they have done remarkably well to stay in the mix.
They've had the opportunity every year. What I'm saying is we won't get the answer to of they are good enough until they get to the point they've failed before. They've always been right up there as one of the best H&A sides we've seen under Chris Scott. It's the big finals that remains a question for them under his coaching.

Revisionist history claims Scott was gifted a premiership team, when at the time people expected cats to slide in 2011, especially after the 2010 prelim mauling.

We lost our best player (Ablett) and our coach (Bomber) at the end of that 2010 season too. People seem to forget that when they try to say “Scott was gifted that 2011 Premiership”

Geelong have been a dominant H&A side for a decade. I dont think this is anything new and doesn't answer any questions on them until September which is where they've failed.

While there’s merit in what you’re saying, being a good home and away side never guarantees anything, less so when you’re a good home and away side but not a dominant one. Are we there every year?
Yes
Are we dominant every year? No. The general rhythm of a season has been the cats being in the mix halfway through, and still in a group of 3-4 sides by finals time. Is the same thing letting us down each season? No.

While there’s merit in what you’re saying, being a good home and away side never guarantees anything, less so when you’re a good home and away side but not a dominant one. Are we there every year?
Yes
Are we dominant every year? No. The general rhythm of a season has been the cats being in the mix halfway through, and still in a group of 3-4 sides by finals time. Is the same thing letting us down each season? No.
I've seen the Cats destroy teams every season through the H&A at times. That's all I'm saying, this isn't necessarily new ground for them.

Yes

I agree with that, I don’t think they’re choking every year or anything, they had a couple of very good finals wins last year (Brisbane one on their home deck particularly impressive), just generally ran into better sides.

They’d have liked home and away form to have translated to at least one flag after 2011, out of the years since I think they’d see 2013, 2019-20 as their biggest opportunities missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back