Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I have zero doubt that if Kozzi and Greene keep up their form til year's end that they'll both be selected.

I very much doubt the selectors will be deciding between the two.
greene is in. no question. he is THE standout non key position forward.

pickett would be in competition with amt cameron bolton plus the hybrid mids like dusty bont and even fyfe for the remaining 2-3 spots

To anyone who knows a bit more history than me, when was the last time 3 players made the 22 from a non top 8 team? still a long way to go in the season but it feels like more of an indictment on the rest of the blues if they make 3 AA and not the 8. Can't remember the last time it happened

To anyone who knows a bit more history than me, when was the last time 3 players made the 22 from a non top 8 team? still a long way to go in the season but it feels like more of an indictment on the rest of the blues if they make 3 AA and not the 8. Can't remember the last time it happened
The Bulldogs had 3 (Brown, Johnson, Darcy) in 2002 when they finished 12th. I may be wrong but I don't believe it's happened since.

That being said, if 3 Carlton players individually deserve to be in, their team's finishing position should have no bearing on their selection.

Just saw a stat that said 52% of all Picketts touches result in a score involvement

That has to put him in AA contention

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
How does he compare in % and totals to the other big guns like AMT, Greene etc?
This is very much a standard output from a small forward.

Picket has 53 score involvements from 106 disposals (so exactly 50%).
Tippa has 45 score involvements from 86 disposals (52.3%).
Jamie Cripps is on 50/101 (49.5%)
Toby Greene is on 64/130 (49.2%)
Orazio Fantasia is on 47/91 (51.6%)

They're probably the main 5 small forwards to consider this year, and each is almost bang on the 50% mark, so Pickett doesn't necessarily stand out in this stat.

Hawthorn 2005 is the most recent I remember.
Croad, Everitt, Hodge

The Bulldogs had 3 (Brown, Johnson, Darcy) in 2002 when they finished 12th. I may be wrong but I don't believe it's happened since.

That being said, if 3 Carlton players individually deserve to be in, their team's finishing position should have no bearing on their selection.
Hawthorn had 3 when they missed the 8 in 2005

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

They're probably the main 5 small forwards to consider this year, and each is almost bang on the 50% mark, so Pickett doesn't necessarily stand out in this stat.
Champion Data's stats had Pickett second in the competition behind Tex Walker at 53% (not 50) and Tippa wasn't in the top 5.

Clearly, I don't have the statistics they use.

Champion Data's stats had Pickett second in the competition behind Tex Walker at 52% (not 50) and Tippa wasn't in the top 5.

Clearly, I don't have the statistics they use.
Their stats must differ to AFL tables I guess, because these numbers are pulled straight from there. Still, the 50% mark is pretty standard for a good small forward. Doesn't mean Pickett isn't in contention, but this stat is not necessarily the reason for him standing out

Their stats must differ to AFL tables I guess, because these numbers are pulled straight from there. Still, the 50% mark is pretty standard for a good small forward. Doesn't mean Pickett isn't in contention, but this stat is not necessarily the reason for him standing out
Actually it's 53% for Kozzi Scoring Chains Kozzi.jpg .

Here's their top 5. As you can see the 5th place is down to 41%. They must be talking about a different metric.

Great find. Pretty much all on par.

The clear thing that makes Pickett stand out compared to the others is his age and lack of experience, plus he’s got that new car feel. The others on the list are no real surprise because they’ve done this before.

Pickett along with Tippa are also the most spectacular which probably helps.

Nobody aside from family members would say “I can’t wait to see what Jamie Cripps does today!” despite him being a really solid player.

At the end of the year the selectors should be for the superior statistical contributors and gaps will probably open up as the year progresses. Nobody can tell me the selectors watch every game, so they have to rely on stats to some degree.

I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if Pickett can keep up his current production for the entire season. I think it’s more likely those older players will remain consistent through the year and a couple of them will get the small forward spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it's 53% for KozziView attachment 1120404.

Here's their top 5. As you can see the 5th place is down to 41%. They must be talking about a different metric.

There is no way there is no other player between 42% and 50%, or between 53% and 63%.

I am assuming they have just picked five forwards they think will be in AA discussion to highlight how good Tex is. It is not top 5 overall.

If Mitch Duncan isn’t in the team he’d be mighty close. Super player who still somehow flies under the radar.
He should have already had 1-2 AA if he keeps this form up for the year he just has to finally get what he deserves, been snubbed so many times before.

Incorrect.

Watch the podcast.

I don't believe the stats and you'll have to summarise the podcast for me.

Do you not find it suspicious that it implies all other forwards are running below 42% while the best forward is 21% above all of them? Where is Virgin Dog's stats coming from? Are they not correct too?

I don't believe the stats and you'll have to summarise the podcast for me.

Do you not find it suspicious that it implies all other forwards are running below 42% while the best forward is 21% above all of them? Where is Virgin Dog's stats coming from? Are they not correct too?
Believe what you like.

They were the top 5 in percentage scoring chains.

I haven't seen a lot of AMT, but Toby Greene is clearly in front with his best form.

Toby Green is also a full forward, shoehorning him to a pocket based on height is as bad as half forward flank getting midfielders every year.

The guy plays as their deepest starting forward most of the time. He is a key forward, key means role not size. He isn’t there to pressure, push up the ground, crumb packs. He’s there to be an isolated target.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back