Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
* me, some of the jumping at shadows in here before the teams even named. Mind numbing.

How about waiting to see if the player you really like/don’t like gets named before throwing the toys out of the cot.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Get Reeves in
Yep.

BB to my eye is on the verge of breaking down, such has been his workload.

It would be brave to throw the kid in against Nic Nat but I am having nightmares thinking about the things he will do tomorrow to BB, if we don’t give him a chop out.

Sure they could go with Lewis but FFS the kid would have to show a bit of effort instead of his pea hearted efforts of last week.

Toasted

All Australian
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What the hell happened to footy at 2pm on a Saturday !!! ???
From a selfish point of view, I prefer Sunday arvo. I’ve got young kids, so night games is a struggle and with there basketball all day on Saturday, Sunday arvo is perfect for us to go to as a family.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
What the hell happened to footy at 2pm on a Saturday !!! ???

Every local ground in Australia thankfully.

I play at 2:00 every Saturday in the country. It's still as great as it's always been. Selfishly the 4:35pm game is a good time slot because we get to watch it once we get back to the pub for beers and awards.

Its funny because if only finn and your fav player were playing well at box hill. If only. Its the players like howe that are performing in essence you want clarko to be subjective not objective about team selection. Finn and downie are not ready. Playing the kids in a team that gets flogged doesnt serve them at all. They dont learn anything. But i know its all about the kids so carry on

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its funny because if only finn and your fav player were playing well at box hill. If only. Its the players like howe that are performing in essence you want clarko to be subjective not objective about team selection. Finn and downie are not ready. Playing the kids in a team that gets flogged doesnt serve them at all. They dont learn anything. But i know its all about the kids so carry on
I am actually starting to believe we have no clear strategy/plan for youth team selection, their is zero point in playing a player for 1 game in the AFL after coming in through VFL from a different position.

Would love someone’s idea on what it teaches because I can’t find many positives.

it is not about playing the youth, but it needs to be a focus with the position we are in and it’s waining week on week. I firmly believe too much VFL stifles development, and all you end up with is VFL depth

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
How have you possibly drawn this conclusion? One tactical miss and suddenly he's blaming Finn for the loss? Nonsense, he just simply didn't say that.

BTW - Jack Steele didn't get any coaches votes, he got fewer than his average possessions, clearances and tackles.

A number of us interpreted it as too much focus on a single player and a young player at that. It was unusually poor wording from Clarko and I'm going to keep an eye on his discourse around Finn for a while as this is not the first time he has seemed unfairly targeted. Just like his old man (tongue in cheek). Definitely not a biggy, we can ask questions of our super-god coaches behaviour some times.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I am actually starting to believe we have no clear strategy/plan for youth team selection, their is zero point in playing a player for 1 game in the AFL after coming in through VFL from a different position.

Would love someone’s idea on what it teaches because I can’t find many positives.

it is not about playing the youth, but it needs to be a focus with the position we are in and it’s waining week on week. I firmly believe too much VFL stifles development, and all you end up with is VFL depth

I don't like it either, trying to put some logic around it, for a number of years we seem to prefer to give players a few games as a taster, then go back to the VFL presumably to put in place what they learnt. Given how successful we have been at developing young talent we have to concede that it works.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have been in this place before. I recall thinking we have nothing coming through some time ago. Next thing Breust and Suckling were playing like they belonged, virtually straight up. The seniors are not getting it done and the kids will not either. Supporters need to view this as a developmental year imo whether that be kids playing seniors or at BH. Buckle in Hawks fans.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Nash is still on the list after 5 years and has gone backward, an has another year on his contract. List spots are in demand and he may be a gaelic footballer, but his no AFL player.

He's at least being tried in a different position at BH now (wing). Some want to see him in defence, I reckon throw him around for the remainder of the season and see what he offers because it's pretty clear that he's not going to make it in the forward line.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
We have been in this place before. I recall thinking we have nothing coming through some time ago. Next thing Breust and Suckling were playing like they belonged, virtually straight up. The seniors are not getting it done and the kids will not either. Supporters need to view this as a developmental year imo whether that be kids playing seniors or at BH. Buckle in Hawks fans.

I'm totally up for a development year (or more). For that reason I'd like to see a bit more consistency around picking younger players. From the presser Clarko seemed to think that we need a minimum level of experience/leadership else the game plan falls over. Is it time for a 2005-like year where we only play players who might be playing in 3 years time and accept that losses are going to be like we saw on the weekend?

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Sure they could go with Lewis but FFS the kid would have to show a bit of effort instead of his pea hearted efforts of last week.

I have a sports-Psych background so I tend to look at what players say, especially unscripted. When he came to the club he was talking about being as good as anyone at the club below his knees. I loved the confidence and it convinced me that, along with his physically attributes, he'd make it. But this year he seems a different player - he seems to lack confidence. He looks leaner and much more timid. He put together enough good performances at BH to deserve his spot so I am not totally sure where the lack of confidence comes from.

I'm totally up for a development year (or more). For that reason I'd like to see a bit more consistency around picking younger players. From the presser Clarko seemed to think that we need a minimum level of experience/leadership else the game plan falls over. Is it time for a 2005-like year where we only play players who might be playing in 3 years time and accept that losses are going to be like we saw on the weekend?
In 2005 we had already had drafted the core of our side franklin rough etc and even then franklin came in much earlier than rough. If you have players that are ready to be played we play them. Some of the players on the list currently may not make it. Most of our young talent is injured

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
In 2005 we had already had drafted the core of our side franklin rough etc and even then franklin came in much earlier than rough. If you have players that are ready to be played we play them. Some of the players on the list currently may not make it. Most of our young talent is injured

Definitely different times, but I recall Franklin being far from ready when he was picked. Even Hodge only held it together with bravery and attitude, he would not have been picked so early at a different time. I'd prefer to see guys like Brockman, who like those of 2005 we can all see will make it as a player, playing at AFL level.

Jaeger won’t play, he’s injured another stretch of the truth suggesting he was managed.

WeakWearyEuropeanfiresalamander-size_restricted.gif

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Like most I don't have the answer. We landed some generational talent to compliment our remaining core of seniors players (Mitchell, Hodge, Crawf, Bateman, Williams, Osborne, Sewell , Campbell, Croad) leading to 2008. We don't have that this time around, so education looks like the go. Like most supporters I am not sure what that education process looks like, without being behind the scenes.

In my sporting experience it is often the kids who tend to get dropped. At least with the senior players you have an idea of what they can deliver each week. I imagine that makes planning at lot easier.

Last edited:
Its a bit of reoccurring theme here, but the idea that “I don’t know what the selection criteria is for young players” is equal to “the match committee don’t know what they are doing with young players” is one of the strangest things that pops up on Bigfooty.

The coaches and staff literally live and breathe the HFC day in, day out. They are not just making selections based on a feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back