Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 21 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also we all like what mansell brings, but he offers no run at all.
can we continue to play a lock down small defender who doesn’t get much of the ball?
Houli & Short not enough run for ya? Grimes back will help the balance. Vlas will be bettter for the run too.

Well.

That was a strange night.

If the Pakistan Cricket team had played like our 3rd quarter there would be some serious questions raised (mostly 'Why is the Pakistani Cricket Team playing AFL?' but you get the point). It looked like a few of the boys loaded up on the juicy half-time odds on Geelong. The dropped marks, the missed kicks, slow hospital handpasses, the fact that Geelong won EVERY SINGLE scrum-type situation.

But sh*t happens sometimes - and that 2nd half was a dirty great pile of it. I still don't know what to make of it. Jack and Lynch are NOT working (despite all protestations), and the small forwards are struggling. Vlastuin had the worst game I have ever seen him play, and Broad!!! (At 1/4 time I was seriously going to post that ever since Broad had got back into the side mid-2020, he has been playing as well as any defender going around - including Grimes. I hink I was right then, but after half-time last night - gee whizz).

I've decided that I'm treating last night's 2nd half like the St Kilda gastro game in 2017 - just a weird event that makes no sense. We are better than that.

Just win enough games to make finals - then we'll see.

Grimes for Mansell
HRS for George
CCJ for Edwards

Picket back to wing
Ross given a proper go in midfield
Baker perhaps to play midfield forward again
A proper mid sized leading forward in HRS
IMO a better structure

Well.

That was a strange night.

If the Pakistan Cricket team had played like our 3rd quarter there would be some serious questions raised (mostly 'Why is the Pakistani Cricket Team playing AFL?' but you get the point). It looked like a few of the boys loaded up on the juicy half-time odds on Geelong. The dropped marks, the missed kicks, slow hospital handpasses, the fact that Geelong won EVERY SINGLE scrum-type situation.

But sh*t happens sometimes - and that 2nd half was a dirty great pile of it. I still don't know what to make of it. Jack and Lynch are NOT working (despite all protestations), and the small forwards are struggling. Vlastuin had the worst game I have ever seen him play, and Broad!!! (At 1/4 time I was seriously going to post that ever since Broad had got back into the side mid-2020, he has been playing as well as any defender going around - including Grimes. I hink I was right then, but after half-time last night - gee whizz).

I've decided that I'm treating last night's 2nd half like the St Kilda gastro game in 2017 - just a weird event that makes no sense. We are better than that.

Just win enough games to make finals - then we'll see.
All week the media has been pumping broady up.

Agree. Hocking and Co at AFL headquarters are out to get us at all costs. In the world of professional sport how unprofessional is that !! Hocking has to go. He has a conflict of interest.
Sorry but this is conspiracy theory bullshit that is an easy out to hide poor performances.

Not like this year and I have followed closely. Our players have almost learnt not to contest so they won't be pensalised.
Again bullshit, last week against the Dogs we played with our highest intensity all season and won the free kick count and destroyed the Dogs.

They bring in the sliding rule to stop cotchin going full beast mode but allow geelong players to do it
Attempting to smother a kick off the ground is not contact below the knees, umpire made the right call.

Look at the Scats fans celebrating the win. We gave them the win in the 3rd with dropped marks in the backline and poor kicking resulting in turnovers. Smashed us with our most important defender out, and our 2 best defensive transition mids out in Cotch and Prestia. Vlastuin was underdone. Do they not realise what happened the last time they beat us by a large margin?
First half we were handling the outs. Full credit to Scott and the Geelong coaches for making adjustments to change the way the game was going. They put us under pressure when we had the ball and we couldn't handle it and made more errors as a result.

Sorry but you sound like Dimma praise the hell of Mansell than drop him! He was one that didn't stop trying even after he had his head knocked off. I see you like our selectors no accountability of the famous worst 3-time premiership player in history George of the jungle who keeps getting better at been crap but holds his spot. Ohh sorry, I forget we don't have anyone else as we gave away Butler and Higgins to retain him my bad.
It all comes down to balance, next week Grimes is due to return, meaning that we should have our best 7 defenders available again for the first time since R1 so Mansell is the unlucky one to make way, this is no means a slight on Mansell who I've enjoyed watching since he came in as he is the polar opposite to DES in terms of being willing to put his body on the line. Having our backline of Astbury Balta Grimes Vlastuin Broad Short Houli & Baker back together should see us become better defensively. If they want to continue with Baker up forward then you could swap Mansell for George.

Our midfielders were well beaten
Can’t blame the forwards or backs
Sorry but our forwards can and should be blamed. The only area of the ground where we haven't been hit hard by injury and yet they are generally struggling. Both Jack and Tom have often had struggles in having a major impact on games from week to week. Hardwick defended Tom the other week saying we're a systems based side, but right now our system in the forward line is struggling big time. More often than not our entries into F50 are long high bombs to about 10-15m out, which is quite predictable and easy to defend especially when our small forwards aren't having a big impact when the ball hits the ground.

For mine there needs to be a change in our structure/system. Bring in CCJ as another marking option and encourage the use of hitting up the leading target where we get Jack Tom & CCJ on their bikes and leading up at the ball carrier with one of them remaining deep to be the get out option, which takes away the predictability that makes it easier for opposition defenders to stop.

on reflection now that I've stopped melting we were clearly tanking for some reason that we are yet to find out. maybe dimmer thinks we will play geelol in the GF again so he is giving them the wrong gameplan for the big day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George has had a very average month imo needs a run in the 2s to find some form.
I’d give Ralphsmith a run in that high Hf/ wing role. Ross definitely not suited to the wing role

We are in a bit of trouble with the injury toll to star players mounting we just need to scratch out enough wins to stay in touch until we get that Premiership looking team back on the park
I agree with the George out part. I'd bring in CJ. Leave Ross in the middle and Pickett to the wing,

Caddy hasn't been playing any VFL for a couple of weeks. Not on the injury list. After seeing Vlas struggle with the pace I'd be reluctant to play him in the AFL Surely CJ gets a game or 2 ahead of Chol.
Im just typing anything, that comes to mind

ffs how does a club like hawthorn give flybags macrae more coin than us ? and leppa not replaced

we won the flag and have more cash than any club in the comp yet we dont replace/ match offers

self inflicted pain
Because we’ve had to spend 100k on a trip to the strippers and couple of kebabs.

ffs how does a club like hawthorn give flybags macrae more coin than us ? and leppa not replaced

we won the flag and have more cash than any club in the comp yet we dont replace/ match offers

self inflicted pain
$100k of soft cap money paying for a couple of kebabs is the reason.

so if we dont win the flag its stack and ccj fault

great

we're done

other clubs have 2-3 more coaches than us
Sydney dont have there 3 senior assistant coaches today, there all stuck in Sydney,,,if they win
We should do the same

There were some definite positives in this game:

This Bolton running snap goal-

Rioli's work on the wing here that ends in a coast2coast goal by Aarts-

This no-sighter from Broad haha

Broad's intercept and Dusty's I50 to Lynch-

and the rest of my GIFs from the game are here ->
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/richmond-gifs.1047662/post-69952795

Thanks as always k31th, great work. :thumbsu:

Don't have the time of game, but any chance we could get the Duckwood throwing a tanty that he wasn't paid high contact moment? Pretty sure it was about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter, but nowhere near sure.

It's the first time it's happened in his career AFAIK, so it's a historic moment definitely worth preserving. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back