Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team is clearly talented enough. The list is right up there with the best of them but as I keep saying year after year, it's this coach who simply fails to get the very best out of them.
If we fail to do any damage, with brilliant inclusions like Higgins and Cameron, I hope he walks and we get a replacement.

Cameron's really the game changer for us. Must capitalize on this while Selwood has one decent year left in him.
So disappointing to see this sort of thing. The team literally came from behind against the dominant reigning premiers because of the coaching that they get - Dimma himself identified it. And we got to a grandfinal last year in a very difficult year. The team improves through coaching and training year after year. The foundations of yesterday’s win come from the time spent on teaching the team to play a certain way. And your thought bubble? -I hope that the coach leaves.

I’d rather see some ‘supporters’ hit the road than the coach.

So disappointing to see this sort of thing. The team literally came from behind against the dominant reigning premiers because of the coaching that they get - Dimma himself identified it. And we got to a grandfinal last year in a very difficult year. The team improves through coaching and training year after year. The foundations of yesterday’s win come from the time spent on teaching the team to play a certain way. And your thought bubble? -I hope that the coach leaves.

I’d rather see some ‘supporters’ hit the road than the coach.

Not disappointing at all.
It's my opinion as this coach has had long enough at the helm coaching a very talented team full of All Australians and champions. One grand final win for all that quality is not quite good enough.
If we fail to make much noise this year with the inclusions we have added, club needs a new voice and direction.

If you think otherwise and wish to tell supporters to go hit the road (over an internet chat site mind you), that's your prerogative but I stand by my comment and if you dislike them so much, click ignore and move on ;)

Watch the 2nd quarter again. He did 3 or 4 really good things in that term which got us back into striking distance at half time.

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love the block he put on for Henry (?) to take an uncontested mark in the defensive half

Seeds (I'm not calling you out, I read your post last night but I can't find it, it was talking about gameplan)

I see this misconception a lot that we've radically changed our gameplan, or that we've let our players off the leash. I don't buy that. Since 2019 it's been pretty clear that we've had two playing modes that we switch between, 1. The defensive posession of the ball (the chip chip in the back half, switching it from side to side), and 2. The offensive attack of the F50.

Some games, like the Adelaide game, we played way too much of the offensive stuff which led to a lot of turnovers shallow inside our F50, that's why we lost that game. Other games, like against Melbourne, we were way to defensive and not prepared to transition quickly.

Ideally, like we did tonight, we play that chip chip game in the back half, holding the opposition zone outisde of our F50. A clear example of this is when we I think Henderson (?) kicked it long across our D50 to Smith who was able to run it down the wing to Hawkins and then to Cameron who was 1on1 in our F50. We get that 1on1, because our slow ball movement allowed us to wait until the field was set how we liked, and because our fast ball movement didn't allow richmond to flood back into our F50.

If our slow game reaches the centre line (imagine it's there across the who field), then we've failed, because unless we get lucky, most teams will already be sitting a kick and a half in front of the ball which is now comfortably inside our F50. That's why when we go slow, we gotta do so in our D50, to keep their zone outside of our F50. And then when an opportunity presents, you go all guns blazing and back your system in.
We should use both approaches definately.
The weighting to the hold and control side has however been far too high. We got the balance much better last night.

at one point, hawkins marked the ball at centre half bank turned straight around and tried to kick a torp straight down the guts. When has a player at our club last had a license to do that? We were losing at the time to.

Tomahawk doing roadsign impressions again?

haight-ashbury-street-sign.png

I know... I know... Spelling...

I liked Bews attack on the footy. If he average a few more possessions and was a better kick he could be a seriously damaging player. He has a huge amount of strength and is super quick. I know that is not his role but it would be nice.
They have Atkins who is as tough and tenacious as .... and Bews who is quick, add that to Hendo, Henry, Tuouououhy, Blitz and we've got a pretty good mix.

Scott and other coaches are quite outspoken that they all know what Richmond are going to do, how they are going to beat you but preventing that is a much more difficult thing. Last night was a great step in the right direction, in the event we were to meet in September we both will have some key personal back but preliminary thoughts are we may have finally struck the right balance of ball movement to beat Richmond and better yet the boys will have the belief they can beat Richmond now, esp when this time we were the ones down at half time.
He said “we had to fight fire with fire”. Now that was interesting.

It's my opinion as this coach has had long enough at the helm coaching a very talented team full of All Australians and champions. One grand final win for all that quality is not quite good enough.
If we fail to make much noise this year with the inclusions we have added, club needs a new voice and direction.

If you think otherwise and wish to tell supporters to go hit the road (over an internet chat site mind you), that's your prerogative but I stand by my comment and if you dislike them so much, click ignore and move on ;)
Sure thing. I’d rather just tell you that you’re wrong. It’s much more enjoyable watching you struggle to support the team because of your bias.

😉

No disagree - quality players make the difference - you have seen the difference Cameron has made - filled a giant hole in that Geel forward line

Not saying Cameron is any where near as good as Carey - but put the King at CHF in those Geel teams of the late 80s early 90s - and irrespective of who the coach was - the Cats win multiple flags

Coaches are just so overrated - you just need quality players - and plenty of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, I was thinking to myself last night that we were "richmonding" Richmond with all our pressure. Quite a few taps to freer teammates rather than taking possession as well.
I'd rather we acknowledge that we are playing the game our way than trying to out-Richmond Richmond. This is a deliberate rather than reactive plan and that is a big difference.

No disagree - quality players make the difference - you have seen the difference Cameron has made - filled a giant hole in that Geel forward line

Not saying Cameron is any where near as good as Carey - but put the King at CHF in those Geel teams of the late 80s early 90s - and irrespective of who the coach was - the Cats win multiple flags

Coaches are just so overrated - you just need quality players - and plenty of them

Our forward line in the 80's and 90's was never the issue. It was in defense where we sucked so bad.
Put in a player like Taylor alongside McGrath and we win a flag.

I must have been watching another game. Z.Guthrie did possibly one or two nice things but was bog ordinary bordering on dismal for the rest, particularly early. He’s the first out.
I’ll give him one thing. He can be steady. But he has such a low ceiling thats damning him with faint praise.

He’s just one of those players that will never be much more than injury cover.

The players won the game, guided by the coaches. Scott still has a lot to prove; his 2019 September was disastrous - remember Stanley out on the eve of a final because it was going to rain only it didn't etc?

The question for me is will Rohan and Hawkins be able to repeat that performance in a final? My guess is no, but I fervently hope to be proven wrong.

The players won the game, guided by the coaches. Scott still has a lot to prove; his 2019 September was disastrous - remember Stanley out on the eve of a final because it was going to rain only it didn't etc?

The question for me is will Rohan and Hawkins be able to repeat that performance in a final? My guess is no, but I fervently hope to be proven wrong.

You will get hammered for saying this. What say you 00VicWard001

Watch the 2nd quarter again. He did 3 or 4 really good things in that term which got us back into striking distance at half time.

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok, have watched it again. He had one very good kick to Duncan through the middle of the ground resulting which resulted in a goal. He smothered a potential Lynch mark on the wing and landed a regulation tackle during the quarter. That was it. No other involvement. He didn't fxxk anything up at least so I suppose that's a positive.

Ok, have watched it again. He had one very good kick to Duncan through the middle of the ground resulting which resulted in a goal. He smothered a potential Lynch mark on the wing and landed a regulation tackle during the quarter. That was it. No other involvement. He didn't fxxk anything up at least so I suppose that's a positive.
Hardly “dismal” though.

Though we have had a player fined for rough conduct (dangerous tackle)

Charge laid:

Zac Guthrie, Geelong Cats has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Daniel Rioli, Richmond, during the fourth quarter of the Round Eight match between Richmond and the Geelong Cats, played at the MCG on Friday May 7.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back