Toast Round 8 = North Melbourne 76-94 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

He is not a million dollar a year player. He rarely takes contested marks or kicks goals. He is not as active at ground level in clearances. A team's most highly paid player is expected to do more than 'break even'.
Gawn didn't break even with Goldstein last week, he was beaten by him. Don't let your dislike of Grundy blind you completely.

Last edited:

Also, and to be fair, Mayne had a pretty large last quarter and played a role in steadying us down when we might have panicked and let them get a roll on.

you can’t buy experience which those constantly wanting older players dropped need to understand and the kids learn faster playing next to experienced team mates.

I’m not sure Henry is tall enough to make it as an overhead marking forward at AFL level. His opponents in the AFL will be taller and stronger and just as quick. He might need to reinvent himself as a midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think he is. Just needs to get some confidence in the contest at this level.

Awful game of football to watch.

Any other team would've beat us by 7-8 goals and beat Norf by 10-15 goals.

We got kissed on the you know what by the umpires. Biggest armchair ride I've seen so far this year.

Just embrace the rebuild already and stop playing guys like WHE, Thomas, C.Brown and Mayne.
North have pushed very good teams in recent weeks. If they are as bad as you suggest Melbourne is the worst undefeated team in the history of our game. Why go hyperbolic?

It wasn't a great spectacle. In the last quarter we did everything we could to let them back into the game but luckily they refused the opportunity.

That's cool, I'll take the win. You have to win ugly before you can win beautifully; it's part of the long process back to playing good footy.

Jordy and Cameron did a nice job; Checkers is a damn fine footballer. Noble is of small stature but has the lungs and heart of a horse.

More losses coming this year so the posters that are openly wishing for defeat won't have to wait too long before they can once again spew their bile.
Off your high horse. Supporters are entitled to express their disappointment or criticise what they perceive to be poor coaching or lack of effort.

What a top side should, we are not a top side or near it but we aren't country seconds league standard as so many are harping on about.
That winless side gave top side Melbourne the fright of their lives for 3 quarters last week.

Then why mention this ^ in the first place?

I think it’s worth highlighting the first half of Tyler Brown too. Yes, he faded out, but he blanketed Cunnington and was prolific around stoppages. He seems to attract a lot of vitriol around here so this will be unpopular, but credit to the young man. I think he will be part of our long term midfield group.

Yep the cupboard is bare, have to agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall not too bad of a bad performance and yes whilst I agree you can't be jumping up and down about beating North as they're terrible. However geez when Darcy is back there our who gamestyle drastically shifts. We move the ball so much more freely and centrally rather than slow chip down the line play. Moore Crisp Noble Maynard and Quaynor all done it a lot more freely with Darcy down there. The genuine problem is we are just not good enough which I think the club knew and said ok we trade out some talent cause we aren't going to compete and just rebuild without hopefully falling all the way down. De Goey it is bloody simple leave him out of the goal square especially when Elliot gets back having both in that Forward 50 will be able to dominate. Hoskin Elliot not sure how many more weeks him and JT can do nothing and still get a guernsey just not good enough or smart enough players. JT 3 shots from about 55 you clearly can't get the distance and went for the shot everytime falling 5 metres short rather than setting up to the top of the square to create a chance. Hopefully Henry gets another game his positioning is good, good mark and kick however is just not strong enough which will come but needs some continuity. Grundy was OK but geez how do we not capitalise on his hit outs there has to be something done he just doesn't get an effect on the game wins the tap our midfield never reads that we would have to be the lowest scoring teams of clearances. Sidey I think we should bite the bullet and see if we get anything definitely on his last legs.

The genuine problem is we are just not good enough which I think the club knew and said ok we trade out some talent cause we aren't going to compete and just rebuild without hopefully falling all the way down

Would be nice if the club stopped pissing in our pockets and just admit it publicly, and we have fallen all the way down.

Overall not too bad of a bad performance and yes whilst I agree you can't be jumping up and down about beating North as they're terrible. However geez when Darcy is back there our who gamestyle drastically shifts. We move the ball so much more freely and centrally rather than slow chip down the line play. Moore Crisp Noble Maynard and Quaynor all done it a lot more freely with Darcy down there. The genuine problem is we are just not good enough which I think the club knew and said ok we trade out some talent cause we aren't going to compete and just rebuild without hopefully falling all the way down. De Goey it is bloody simple leave him out of the goal square especially when Elliot gets back having both in that Forward 50 will be able to dominate. Hoskin Elliot not sure how many more weeks him and JT can do nothing and still get a guernsey just not good enough or smart enough players. JT 3 shots from about 55 you clearly can't get the distance and went for the shot everytime falling 5 metres short rather than setting up to the top of the square to create a chance. Hopefully Henry gets another game his positioning is good, good mark and kick however is just not strong enough which will come but needs some continuity. Grundy was OK but geez how do we not capitalise on his hit outs there has to be something done he just doesn't get an effect on the game wins the tap our midfield never reads that we would have to be the lowest scoring teams of clearances. Sidey I think we should bite the bullet and see if we get anything definitely on his last legs.
I thought Grundy dirrcted his tap outs well this afternoon and as a result we took the ball out of the centre quite a lot.

Suggest you insert paragraphs in long posts in future. Very hard to read otherwise.

I’m not sure Henry is tall enough to make it as an overhead marking forward at AFL level. His opponents in the AFL will be taller and stronger and just as quick. He might need to reinvent himself as a midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He is. Once he learns to use those magnificant marking hands of his at AFL level, he'll be a weapon. Has a great leap and loves a contested pack mark. His size is no consequence.

Relieved to win. Considering the nature of our season, we have to cherish our wins when they come along.

North's effort was good, so they made us earn it. I don't think our performance was great, but we had enough quality to get us over the line. After watching North up close, I can see why they're languishing on the bottom. The endeavour is there but the amount of errors they generate exceeds the mistakes we usually make which is something.

Satisfying seeing McCreery, Henry, Keane and Poulter all get their first wins in the Black and White.

In the end, De Goey and Moore were the difference between us winning and losing the game. Very pleased that JDG silenced his critics, and hopefully he can back up that performance in the coming rounds. Moore down back is a no brainer, and he should have been removed from the forward line once Howe went down with an injury against West Coast.

Liked seeing Pendles spend time up forward. I've advocated in the past that him and Sidebottom should spend more time up forward in the future. Both can find the goals and it could sustain their longevity in the game.

I think the end is near for Cox, with Cameron showing enough signs to continue persisting with him. A forward line combination of JDG, Mihocek, Cameron and maybe one of Pendles/Sidey could be a good one in the future along with the young kids in McCreery and/or Henry.

Mihocek's hanger would have to be a mark of the year contender. It was a beauty!

My view on the coach hasn't changed, but I won't comment any further on it. I just want to enjoy and soak up the victory.

Had a bit of time to think about this after watching the game and catching Bucks' presser.

While it was a relief to get the win I didn't see anything much different this week to previous weeks, aside from the opposition being a much lower standard.

Still a win is a win so we can take a little confidence from that moving forward.

Poulter and Murphy both looked good again and it was nice to get a solid contribution off Goo up against an overmatched opponent in Bonar, even though he's still not looking all that sharp to the eye.

Cameron is a big bonus as well with how he is coming on and Cox could take a leaf out of his book in terms of how to approach it and consistently attacking the ball in the air.

Onto next week I guess.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back