• 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 21 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugo Ralphsmith in line for Richmond debut after Shane Edwards injury blow

Richmond says it can find a silver lining in Shane Edwards’ long-term injury with a new cult hero looming for a Round 9 debut.

Richmond will look into the past for confidence a fourth premiership in five years is still in its future, although the Tigers will have to stabilise their rocky season without Shane Edwards.
Their most polished player is staring at about 6-8 weeks on the sidelines with what the club described as a “significant medial ligament sprain” to Edwards’ left ankle.

Edwards, 32, was on crutches as he was sent for ankle scans on Saturday.

The Tigers did not put a time frame on the injury, but said it was a “medium term” setback.

It has been a revolving door of three-time premiership superstars at Punt Rd this year.

The Tigers regained Nick Vlastuin and Dustin Martin against Geelong on Friday night, but lost Trent Cotchin (hamstring) and Dylan Grimes (concussion) and have now had Edwards go down.

They are still without Kane Lambert and Dion Prestia (both calf).

The club’s VFL team had a bye this round, but half-forward Hugo Ralphsmith is a good chance to make his AFL debut against Greater Western Sydney at Marvel Stadium next week.

anyone else disappointed/annoyed hearing jack revolt doing special comments in the ess v giants clash in sydney ????.......please someone tell me i was hearing things after a night of mild shock and heavy drinking :drunk: surely jumping on an early plane so close to or after an important and ordinary game and all the bits and pieces involved in his media gig raises the question of his pre and post game prep v the cats....... im suggesting his mind was not on the job yesterday and last night. 2 things tho, no beef if he comments on a sunday game in vic and secondly maybe an over reaction, as if jack played well it would prob be no biggie.

I heard Jack as special comments for the GC V Saints game, not the ess v giants game.

The ladder is relative.
Although our team is underperforming ATM we are still only one win away from third position.
We want the Victorian teams to win as many matches as possible, in the top four to six slots, to set up home finals.
Although I hate the Dees, it was good for us on the ladder that they defeated Sydney.

FoxSports’ Tom Morris said he expected Finlayson to miss at least a week.
“The key is an elbow is usually considered intentional rather than careless,” he said.

Screenshot_1.png

That is neck to the side of face, intentional, low impact = 1 week suspension

Last edited:
Just a question re: Jack Ross. I reckon it was about the 5 min mark of the fateful 3rd quarter, he got caught holding the ball when about to kick into the 50.

It looked like what caused the problem was perhaps that he has no left foot and getting around onto the right got him into trouble. Does anybody have a view on that?

We needed to stop the run on and it was at a vital time and a chance to get a goal back. Maybe we'd already mentally checked out but it would have been deflating.

Just a question re: Jack Ross. I reckon it was about the 5 min mark of the fateful 3rd quarter, he got caught holding the ball when about to kick into the 50.

It looked like what caused the problem was perhaps that he has no left foot and getting around onto the right got him into trouble. Does anybody have a view on that?

We needed to stop the run on and it was at a vital time and a chance to get a goal back. Maybe we'd already mentally checked out but it would have been deflating.
What caused the problem was that he was indecisive to kick it and looked for a handball to Houli which wasn’t on. Pretty sure we were still in front when it happened (or at least a couple points down)

“The key is an elbow is usually considered intentional rather than careless,” he said.

View attachment 1122071

So he's eyes on the player who has eyes for the ball, hit the player in the head let's give him one week? Man after all these concussions past players coming out the AFL says we will be tough on hits to the head. We have this one we have Mansells one which didn't even get a free and others how serious are they? I bet you if it was one of our players 3 weeks min.

View attachment 1122071

Would rather Finlayson played against us.
2019 GF 1 possession
2020 Rd 8 5 possessions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that hard to believe stuff like can really hurt the culture of the club those boys let the rest of the playing group down.
Hurt the culture? Culture is the people in the organisation. Culture is constantly being challenged. people in the organisation behaved badly. The club sanctioned them. The people at the club were able to overcome the off field challenges and win a flag.
Caro would have you believe that the covid fines were responsible for the every person who lost their job at RFC during COVID.
Now that we are playing crap with less off field staff the question is being asked. Would $100k extra make the difference?
Cotchin's missus's visit to a spa seems to be forgotten. Once the kebabs happened. Cotch is playing well, when he can get on the field. Injury crisis looks like it's giving Stack and CJ and chance to play seniors. And play an important role in trying to not let the season derail.

Given the team we named I was expecting to lose by about 4 goals so all that's happened is % took a hit.

I don't like losing to those soft utensils but life goes on.

There's something not right with our forward set up. The small forwards are not smashing the ball as it comes to ground. With the injuries we arent able to rotate cotchin and martin forward to make the oppos s**t themselves. We need that to worry the oppo defence so they don't just sag off and double team riewoldt and lynch.

George is in a funk and aarts has too many deficiencies in his game to demand close attention even though three goals is to be applauded.

I am looking forward to the next few games. I think we'll win them all, start getting our stars back and this week will be forgotten.

I have us finishing 3rd and playing Port in a prelim again. Can’t afford anymore injuries though, at least they’re not long term and in a roundabout way it reduces the chance of a season ending injury happening by not playing as many games. Just need to win while we’re depleted.

We'd have to win 11-12 of the next 14 with interstate games against Lions and Eagles and Giants not happening.
I have us finishing 3rd and playing Port in a prelim again. Can’t afford anymore injuries though, at least they’re not long term and in a roundabout way it reduces the chance of a season ending injury happening by not playing as many games. Just need to win while we’re depleted.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are so many teams (including Geelong) able to kick at goal and get it so often (set shots and general play)? That’s one of the biggest differences between us and some of the higher-placed sides this year. Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong all got us this way because they were able to capitalise on inside 50s much more. They get goals from tight angles and difficult positions that we usually miss from. For whatever reason, we always seem to try and find the perfect goal. The attempt either fails or we end up going 50/50 in terms of accuracy anyway so it doesn’t end up being the perfect pathway to goal in the end.

When you’re copping it on the scoreboard, there is no point of trying to find the perfect avenue. Just kick the ball when you have it and get the goal. Put some scoreboard pressure on. That’s the main reason why we don’t have shootouts because we rely way too much on restricting the opposition to win. When our defence fails, I feel like everyone else fails as well, which is why our margins are so big when we concede a lot. Not saying to engage in shootouts every game, but we’d be losing a lot less if we engaged in a shootout whenever our defence is getting a beating like Friday. It’s the only way I feel Geelong would have doubted themselves going for goal.

If we’re wanting to win the Premiership this year, then we just have to accept that the game changed in a way that makes relying on restricting opponents alone too much of a risk. Our back 6 might not end up being as good as previous years, so we need to compensate for this. Hardwick please play CCJ so that we can stretch opposition defenders for height. I think it’ll help Riewoldt and Lynch a lot because our pressure smalls aren’t having much scoreboard impact.

TL;DR: We need to kick more goals when our defence can’t contain the opposition forwards.

Why are so many teams (including Geelong) able to kick at goal and get it so often (set shots and general play)? That’s one of the biggest differences between us and some of the higher-placed sides this year. Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong all got us this way because they were able to capitalise on inside 50s much more. They get goals from tight angles and difficult positions that we usually miss from. For whatever reason, we always seem to try and find the perfect goal. The attempt either fails or we end up going 50/50 in terms of accuracy anyway so it doesn’t end up being the perfect pathway to goal in the end.

When you’re copping it on the scoreboard, there is no point of trying to find the perfect avenue. Just kick the ball when you have it and get the goal. Put some scoreboard pressure on. That’s the main reason why we don’t have shootouts because we rely way too much on restricting the opposition to win. When our defence fails, I feel like everyone else fails as well, which is why our margins are so big when we concede a lot. Not saying to engage in shootouts every game, but we’d be losing a lot less if we engaged in a shootout whenever our defence is getting a beating like Friday. It’s the only way I feel Geelong would have doubted themselves going for goal.

If we’re wanting to win the Premiership this year, then we just have to accept that the game changed in a way that makes relying on restricting opponents alone too much of a risk. Our back 6 might not end up being as good as previous years, so we need to compensate for this. Hardwick please play CCJ so that we can stretch opposition defenders for height. I think it’ll help Riewoldt and Lynch a lot because our pressure smalls aren’t having much scoreboard impact.

TL;DR: We need to kick more goals when our defence can’t contain the opposition forwards.
Our forward line needs to be less predictable
Ccj in will spread the defence so lynch and jack aren't swarmed by defenders, cats had 3 lead up forwards that killed us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back