Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Dees - AFL Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually in
Forward line was our downfall. Specifically the talls. Midfield got more than enough ball into the forward line but Bud got towelled up by May, McLean took a couple of nice grabs and got a bit unlucky with the umpires but generally didn't provide a hell of a lot, and Sinclair had an OK last quarter but before that we barely got anything out of him. The Demons backline loves to intercept mark and they didn't do that much which was good, but they still controlled the air to a degree which didn't give us reward for all the effort we put in. Up the other end, McDonald and Brown rewarded them with good marking and kicking. That was the difference in the end to me. Hayward had an OK game and Papley was very active but in accurate. Wicks and Gulden seem to me to be working hard defensively but not getting near the ball much. Maybe the physical side of the game starting to catch them week after week now.

I love Mills in the middle, I'd be keeping him there. His kicking can certainly be bad but his physical presence and hands are excellent in there. If he can keep pushing forward to make himself dangerous, I think he'll be a real weapon there. And I wasn't convinced by his push into the middle at all before this year so I've been pleasantly surprised. I do think pushing Parker forward more often would be the way to go to re-balance the midfield a little. Rowbottom hasn't started games in the middle the last few weeks (pretty sure he played a lot on a wing last night against Brayshaw until shifting into the guts later), so I'd love to see him start in the guts from the first bounce next week.
Played a great game but live was killed by Oliver at times inside amd his constant turn overs by foot are killing us

But in those circumstances you don’t look for a tall. This is where players like Hayward, McInerney need to get their skates on and run back into space.

In many respects, this was where the talls did well by dragging their defenders up the ground. We were just too slow to create the overlap or perhaps our young wingers like McInerney and Stephens don’t yet have the fitness to make the repeated gut runs necessary.

We were too tall, necessarily so, but our height didn’t cause that particular problem.
Each to there own

Sucked up way to often and couldn’t get back quick enough

Unfortunately because of his reputation he is going to be criticised for putting his arms out but there were at least 4 occasions last night where the ball was on the ground and his opponent had both arms around stopping his run or grabbing him and slinging him out of the contest without possession. Same with Franklin.
I don’t think either were staging. But I wish they wouldn’t do it.
When Buddy does it he takes himself out of the contest. Sure he has a legitimate axe to grind but they’re not getting paid so just stay in it.

Mills - Tale of two halves for mine. Very involved in the first half but seemed to have little composure. Totally reversed it in the second half. Absolute beast.

Florent - Soooo classy.

Hickey - Yet again excellent, but it says a lot about how borderline legendary Gawn is that "excellent" was nowhere near good enough to match Gawn.

McInerney - I want to see more of that polish he showed last year, but how ******* good was his pressure?

Rowbottom - Yesterdays news! Boring!

McLean - Battled manfully to ultimately end up our most competitive tall forward (slim pickings!)

Buddy - Looked somewhat more mortal than I'd ever seen him, but we have to assume he was not going at 100% just three weeks on from a knee injury.

Errol & Slick Wicks - Both look frustrated and are trying to overcompensate rather than focus on the basics that served them both so well earlier in the year.

Hayward & Sinclair - The less I say the better.

Dawson & McCartin - We need more from them. I feel they kinda fly under the radar and escape scrutiny because they are much-loved players by this board.

Soooo good to have Rampe & Fox back. They probably needed more level heads around them tbh.

Composure is everything and we just didn't have enough of it tonight. Good news? Find that composure in September and I don't think there's a single team we couldn't seriously scare at worst, beat at best.

Mills - Tale of two halves for mine. Very involved in the first half but seemed to have little composure. Totally reversed it in the second half. Absolute beast.

Florent - Soooo classy.

Hickey - Yet again excellent, but it says a lot about how borderline legendary Gawn is that "excellent" was nowhere near good enough to match Gawn.

McInerney - I want to see more of that polish he showed last year, but how ******* good was his pressure?

McLean - Battled manfully to ultimately end up our most competitive tall forward (slim pickings!)

Buddy - Looked somewhat more mortal than I'd ever seen him, but we have to assume he was not going at 100% just three weeks on from a knee injury.

Errol & Slick Wicks - Both look frustrated and are trying to overcompensate rather than focus on the basics that served them both so well earlier in the year.

Dawson & McCartin - We need more from them. I feel they kinda fly under the radar and escape scrutiny because they are much-loved players by this board.

Soooo good to have Rampe & Fox back. They probably needed more level heads around them tbh.

Composure is everything and we just didn't have enough of it tonight. Good news? Find that composure in September and I don't think there's a single team we couldn't seriously scare at worst, beat at best.
If you seen it live you would of seen the work Dawson did of the ball

Totally wrong

Personally I think it was a consequence of slowing the play down. Chip it around constantly will not work against a disciplined defence. We need more run to open up the space forward.

Yeah I can't help but feel that while we obviously worked really hard on our short, uncontested chip kicking game over the pre-season, the running handball game deployed by Melbourne and the Bulldogs has proven more successful this year and benefitted their forwards. Has our kicking game, which has now been easily defended against pretty much every week since round 3, come at the expense of our run and carry handball game? Because I'm not sure I've seen a Swans team so inconsistent by hand since the late 2000s.

I'm not saying he was bad. He's good but we just need more from him. IMO his output doesn't match his ability often enough.

McCartin was off his game but I thought Dawson was terrific in the 2nd half.

Florent - Soooo classy.

Great breakdown.
I felt the same about Buddy. It was like watching Batman without the cape. Scary ... is the guy really just human?

Not sure what you are saying about Rowbottom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't wanna be a patronising campaigner but the swans were awesome. You guys play finals no problem at all and absolutely up to your neck in a top 4 race.
Pressure was the best we've had to face this year.

Wouldn't have looked At all out of place in qualifying final weekend.

I'm not all over the circumstances but seemed like you could have bloody used Alir Alir ( * do you spell it )
Probably split that game 5-5 outta 10.

Can't ever see Mills going back again after that performance. Bar a plethora of defensive injuries. Between fox, Hewitt, Campbell and even reid, we have plenty of defensive options moving forward. Mills will only get better from here. I think he has huge upside.

Great breakdown.
I felt the same about Buddy. It was like watching Batman without the cape. Scary ... is the guy really just human?

Not sure what you are saying about Rowbottom?
I was beginning to think he was starting to learn about the game , but that summary and not being there is just WTFDWFTC !

Don't wanna be a patronising campaigner but the swans were awesome. You guys play finals no problem at all and absolutely up to your neck in a top 4 race.

I'm not all over the circumstances but seemed like you could have bloody used Alir Alir ( fu** do you spell it )
Well we haven't got him , we have Hickey thanks .

You wern't there , he was fantastic , his work rate was bloods like

No question about his work rate and his courage also, took two marks directly in the line of fire of multiple flying Dees defenders. Just think for a bloke of his obvious talent, especially in the kicking department, he could be more damaging with the ball.

I'm not all over the circumstances but seemed like you could have bloody used Alir Alir ( fu** do you spell it )
Simple explanation. Allir didn't want to play ruck and we couldn't guarantee that. He chose to go as a result. Simple equation is if he stays, our ruck stocks last night would have been Sinclair and Allir against Gawn. That happens and we don't get within 5 goals. More than comfortable with the Allir and Hickey swap.

I agree. I was there and he did a huge amount of ground work.

C88's comment about Rowbottom was dripping with irony. He raves about him every week.

It was great to go to the footy again . Their turnup was pathetic . Congrats to our cheer squad and everyone around them , they made so much noise WELL DONE
Just over 30,000 there and 10,000 of them were bloods supporters. Absolutely pathetic turn-out. Merge them with St Scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back