Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming managed means he is being moved to BHH to play a full game there (i.e. managing his work load). Not an injury style management. But I haven't heard anything about BHH team selections. I could be wrong.

Yep and he was ordinary against the Dogs. Had good hit outs against North and the Bombers who will battle for the spoon. Form line yet to be proven.

I think we can fit all of CJ, Scrimshaw, Downie, Morrison, Hardwick and Day.

We do need the skill of players like Day, Scrimshaw, etc around the raw athleticism of CJ though.

I think we can fit all of CJ, Scrimshaw, Downie, Morrison, Hardwick and Day.

We do need the skill of players like Day, Scrimshaw, etc around the raw athleticism of CJ though.
Love CJ and the kids you have listed. CJ just a bit green imo. He has only played 7 games to be fair. Would be more comfy with Scrim v the Tiges. Just my view on it. Not personal as some would seem to take it. :drunk:

Last edited:

Did Conor get dropped 4 failing to maim a teammate to be not dropped? Seems weird 2 me. Weirder than his fake first game. Don't get it.

Its all in the timing.
Had we been playing Adelaide this week he probably gets a run. Definatly if we had an injury last week (rare that there's not at least one)
His time will come.

Who cares, if he was good enough in round 1, then he's good enough now, in a 16th place team!
Get him in Clarko.....
Hope you watched him yesterday. He’s a fair way off.

Agree, watched him yesterday and he had little impact. If a midfielder can’t impact at VFL, they are not ready for AFL. Some roles the step up in level can help (ie forwards getting better delivery). But AFL level midfielders should be dominating VFL. He looked good in the pre season so not sure what has changed but his performances are not deserving of a promotion at this stage. Just not finding the footy

Hope you watched him yesterday. He’s a fair way off.

Exactly. Jeka was in red hot form at Box Hill and was picked in the firsts.
Downie and Finn are still works in progress even at VFL level. Wait until they are ready. Sam Mitchell did a Hawthorn “apprenticeship” at Box Hill and it did not do him much harm.

Agree, watched him yesterday and he had little impact. If a midfielder can’t impact at VFL, they are not ready for AFL. Some roles the step up in level can help (ie forwards getting better delivery). But AFL level midfielders should be dominating VFL. He looked good in the pre season so not sure what has changed but his performances are not deserving of a promotion at this stage. Just not finding the footy
He's had a stop start season to date. Hasn't played every game so isn't yet in the groove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing wing at box hill when the midfield and general skill level is crap is not an easy role.
It isn’t easy. I think he would be better at AFL level where we can get the ball out wide to wingman a lot better. The team needs his pace and skill badly. He is one player of pick on potential as opposed to output.

So like Phillips then in the senior team....
He's finding a reasonable amount of it, I think. Queries on him are more about usage than quantity, though his last couple of weeks seem to have improved.

It isn’t easy. I think he would be better at AFL level where we can get the ball out wide to wingman a lot better. The team needs his pace and skill badly. He is one player of pick on potential as opposed to output.
There might just be a bit in this madness

Connor Downie (11 disposals, 1 mark, 3 tackles)
"Connor came off a corked thigh the week before and showed resilience to get up and play, but he wasn't able to make a contribution and he laboured through the game unfortunately."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back