Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Sunday 9th May 3:20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't get the angst. Unless Dow (and to a lesser extent) SPS are going to play on ball,/centre clearances for most of the game we are just trying to shoehorn them in to flanks and positions that water down their effect.
To me (hopefully) this is Teague saying that Cuners is playing a lot of centre bounces with Zac quite a few. Chuck in Cripper, Walsh and Ed then there's not that many left available.
Sounds like a vote of confidence in David cuningham to me.

Cmon, Gibbons was borderline diabolical last week. Had a couple of nice moments maybe but was bad overall and has been that way almost the whole year.

I like the bloke but he is clearly down on form atm.

Gibbons was beyond atrocious last week. Has a few nice highlights but overall his game has been hot garbage.

Nobody watching our games could come to the conclusion he’s been paying well.

If you’re of the opinion that he played well last week then I’m really not sure about your ability to grasp what makes a good footballer.

He had 3 bad moments which I have highlighted in an earlier post, so my retort is based on dealing with limited research.

Where this idea of Gibbo being bad for a so called, month, several weeks, all year, is mostly due to not hitting the scoreboard of late

If gibbons isn’t hitting the scoreboard he is basically useless to the team, so that is where the idea comes from.

5 touches against Brisbane, 3 effective didn’t help his cause either.

If gibbons isn’t hitting the scoreboard he is basically useless to the team, so that is where the idea comes from.

5 touches against Brisbane, 3 effective didn’t help his cause either.

Think I and many others have acknowledged he was poor in that game, but to state he has been poor for several weeks, or even last week, is laughable

Think I and many others have acknowledged he was poor in that game, but to state he has been poor for several weeks, or even last week, is laughable
He was poor last week. He's been poor ever since Betts was picked and Gibbo was pushed out of the pocked up the ground a bit. Might be a function of his position but his ability to impact games when they're still close has been horrendous. He's been a junk time king recently.

Fairly meaningless stat without knowing the contest each was involved in .. Similar to the Dow reference above, of course he's going to have relatively low DE when playing at the coalface - for the position, you cop that (though not 33%) ... Unfortunately for Dow, I'm not sure how much his would improve regardless of where he played. Gibbons generally has a lot more time than players at the centre bounce, yet recently he's still fluffing it; that's the difference.

Oh... I can go on about quite a few other players too (two of them have been omitted this week), but Gibbo is rightly in the spotlight atm.

Last week though Gibbons played a much more contested game, probably the highest percentage of contested ball and equal second most clearances on the ground. 2 turnovers, I’m surprised people think he was bad. I thought he was pretty good. SPS is unlucky but hopefully there is a bigger plan behind that

So we have done well against the Bulldogs in the past by effectively taking the midfield out of the game as much as possible: pushing back into defence with a loose player behind the ball (the Bulldogs then bring an extra to the contest) and trying to intercept, then slingshot attack as fast as we can and exploit their defence with our height/speed. I don't think it works as well today as it did last year because:
- their midfield is better, and having less turnovers going inside 50
- their forward line is better than it has been, although a few missing today
- our forward line is worse - missing so many players etc

To win, we need:
- the midfield to bring the heat and get pressure on. Cripps is the key here - his pressure has been putrid at times this season and the others won't go if he doesn't
- Docherty and Jones to play their absolute best. Both are fantastic interceptors. Both can get caught out of position, and Docherty in particular is all over the shop at the moment - probably cost 5-6 goals against Essendon in what was a truly awful defensive game. If they get it right though, we will get enough ball
- almost zero of those terrible midfield turnovers we have. I suspect this is why Dow/SPS are out as much as anything.
- Harry to have a career day. I thought he played badly in his 7 goal game. He has been building and building and could rip the Bulldogs apart. He will get plenty of chances here.

Regardless, I think it going to be a lot of fun if we play well, and if we win then it will be the biggest sploogefest on here in 20 years because it will be utterly exhilarating to watch.

If things go pear shape early though, particularly if the defence screw up a couple of assignments or hit a couple of bad turnovers this has the potential to be very very ugly. Honestly Doch is the key - he is our captain, has a critical role today and has been shaky (at best) all year... just hope it is back for this one

If Williams is going to play in the backline then I would love to see Stocker get some midfield minutes.

On a side note should SPS be tried as a permanent Winger?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just don't get the angst. Unless Dow (and to a lesser extent) SPS are going to play on ball,/centre clearances for most of the game we are just trying to shoehorn them in to flanks and positions that water down their effect.
To me (hopefully) this is Teague saying that Cuners is playing a lot of centre bounces with Zac quite a few. Chuck in Cripper, Walsh and Ed then there's not that many left available.
Sounds like a vote of confidence in David cuningham to me.
This. Cripps and Ed will get 80 percent of centre bounce time. Leaves 140. Walsh probably gets 60 (I think he plays a bit of wing this week). Cunners and Zac will split their time there. 40/40 mid forward for them.

Gibbons was beyond atrocious last week. Has a few nice highlights but overall his game has been hot garbage.

Nobody watching our games could come to the conclusion he’s been paying well.

If you’re of the opinion that he played well last week then I’m really not sure about your ability to grasp what makes a good footballer.
Thank God we have had the one and only complete arbitrator of all things football join us.

He was poor last week. He's been poor ever since Betts was picked and Gibbo was pushed out of the pocked up the ground a bit. Might be a function of his position but his ability to impact games when they're still close has been horrendous. He's been a junk time king recently.
His last good game was against Freo

It's strange, some numbers are open to a variety of interpretations, but not when he is featuring in so many that are key indicators, especially compared to more than half our players

As for this padding, downhill skiing, junk time possessions analysis, I find that really strange, considering the game was still in the balance well into the last qtr and more than half of his possessions were contested

But just like Newnes, Levi and Gibbo, I know exactly why people are targeting these types

It's strange, some numbers are open to a variety of interpretations, but not when he is featuring in so many that are key indicators, especially compared to more than half our players

As for this padding, downhill skiing, junk time possessions analysis, I find that really strange, considering the game was still in the balance well into the last qtr and more than half of his possessions were contested

But just like Newnes, Levi and Gibbo, I know exactly why people are targeting these types
I'm not targeting Gibbo. I'm targeting the decision to play both him and Betts in the same team.

I was also against playing an injured Levi because I believed that to be unfair on him. Just adjust the structure felt a better and more efficient thing to do.

Newnes is there till Lob takes the spot off him.

I'm not targeting Gibbo. I'm targeting the decision to play both him and Betts in the same team.

I was also against playing an injured Levi because I believed that to be unfair on him. Just adjust the structure felt a better and more efficient thing to do.

Newnes is there till Lob takes the spot off him.

I stated that we couldn't play Murphy and Betts in the same team, that's now changed for the better, although Betts will continue to be inconsistent, so I prefer a different setup up

Levi is a warrior, our list management has let him down for well over 10 years

Newnes is there till any player takes his spot, but that goes for any player in the side

Anyway, it's gameday, how do we beat the Dogs.....

Good start would be lifting our contested game, but that is a tactical decision that starts with Teague
This. Gotta take their run away from them and force them to kick to contests ESPECIALLY in their forward line. Also don’t give them the corridor.

This. Gotta take their run away from them and force them to kick to contests ESPECIALLY in their forward line. Also don’t give them the corridor.

Unfortunately my prediction is their midfield will be too strong for ours...especially at Marvel. They are 6-1 for a reason.

Also with casboult out of form and jsos just back from injury, we are relying on mckay far too much.

Would feel far more confident if the likes of Charlie, fisher and Martin were playing.

I stated that we couldn't play Murphy and Betts in the same team, that's now changed for the better, although Betts will continue to be inconsistent, so I prefer a different setup up

Levi is a warrior, our list management has let him down for well over 10 years

Newnes is there till any player takes his spot, but that goes for any player in the side

Not coincidence that Big H has come into his own ever since Eddie was there to organise the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back