Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Dees - AFL Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple explanation. Allir didn't want to play ruck and we couldn't guarantee that. He chose to go as a result. Simple equation is if he stays, our ruck stocks last night would have been Sinclair and Allir against Gawn. That happens and we don't get within 5 goals. More than comfortable with the Allir and Hickey swap.
Yeah Hickey's been great he was the best ruck on the ground no doubt smashed Gawny.
You guys badly need some help for Rampe down back although no like there's a heap of gun key defenders available for trade.

The continue bombing did my head in , they need to sort that sh*t out

Paps and his pjay for frees was a little embarrassing
The reason we haven't been scoring the way we were in the first 3 games. I know the conditions don't help with quick ball movement by foot but for crying out loud they need to lower the eyes in the forward 50. So many of our goals in the early games were from short chip kicks to a small forward 35 to 40 out. Not sure why we aren't doing that anymore.

We are so lucky to have Rampe. Such a great player.

Here is his quote on the support the team received last night.

“I have been blown away, to be honest, with our south Melbourne support the last couple of MCG games,” Rampe said of the Swans support in Melbourne.

Could not be there but I really noticed the roars of the Bloods' crowd through the telly. 40 years on from our exile, the crowds still rock up and give their best, just like our players. Onya every Bloods fan who was there - we could hear you!

The reason we haven't been scoring the way we were in the first 3 games. I know the conditions don't help with quick ball movement by foot but for crying out loud they need to lower the eyes in the forward 50. So many of our goals in the early games were from short chip kicks to a small forward 35 to 40 out. Not sure why we aren't doing that anymore.
Errol supplied a lot of those kicks. He spent a lot of time about 70m out but now he seems to be deeper in the forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gulden was legitimately taken high in front of goal twice I can remember that weren’t paid.
Feels like watching the game, that umpires aren’t rewarding good tackles and aren’t penalising the bad ones
Umpiring was a bit like that for the Bravedogs. AFL want a Melbourne premiership this year.

Umpiring was a bit like that for the Bravedogs. AFL want a Melbourne premiership this year.

Umpiring was meh, but when is it not? I don't believe Melbourne got a charmed run. We lost the game because of selection errors and skill and composure levels that were not up to the standard of the Oppo.

Haywood for example was by no means our worst but he exemplified our lack of composure. He choked on a set shot and delivered a perfect pass to a surprised Oppo defender. Sinkers inability to execute chest marks were also costly.

Going back over the 8 rounds played to date, our backs held Melbourne to their lowest score so far of 67 points with their next lowest score they got being 80 points. Fair to say 67 points isn't a score that would win a lot of games so from this stat, it can be said that our back 6/7 did a pretty decent job against an undefeated team who have scored over 100 points on 3 occasions already this year! I know there can be any sort of stat thrown about but as a unit, the backs performed well.

However, as almost everyone has noted so far, the losing of this game was in the forward line. We could not convert the chances we had and to be fair to the mids, they fed the forwards enough ball but it just wasn't a strong enough effort by our forwards for whatever reason last night. Only 1 team scored less than us against Melbourne this season and the way they are playing at the moment, we had to take advantage of the chances we got. For what it's worth (a lot will say not much!!), here's my analysis on each player:

Rampe: great to have him back and ever reliable, a real clever player who did well.

McCartin: never really know what to expect when he gets the ball. He can do some great things but he is also capable of some awful disposals. A lot of games and including last night he would be responsible for a goal due to a lazy kick/effort. Overall the good probably cancels the bad and I tend to think most his games are 50/50.

Dawson: he divides opinion here but personally I think he is solid, reliable, has good positioning and had a good game.

Cunningham: was solid without being hugely effective going forward. Did his job.

Fox: made a couple of mistakes but did more good than bad. Good to have him back in the team.

Lloyd: solid as always

COR: Similar to Cunningham, did his defensive duties well without being hugely effective going forward. Would like to see him given the freedom to attack more but as a back, did his job.

Florent: really good 1st half but quiet second half. if he can replicate his first half form for the full duration of games going forward he will be a good asset.

Kennedy: solid without standing out but you can see he is valuable to the team. I'm sure he helps the younger players a lot on the pitch in ways we don't see and keeps the team structured so always a worthy inclusion for his leadership presence.

McInerney: I always find myself hoping he can do more in games than he does currently and felt the same last night.

Hickey, Mills and Warner: grouping these guys because they are a strong unit together. Warner and that man Hickey both played very well. Mills was solid too.

Rowbottom: I really like Rowy. He is a determined bugger and I love how he always goes to take on the opposition. Won't always work out but his effort never falters and a man who plays with his heart on his sleeve is a man who you will never beat. Got caught occasionally last night but that will happen when you try to be creative and take the game to the best team in the competition!

Parker: always wanting to be involved last night but we all know that's what we get from Parker at this stage so nothing new there.

Gulden: young and inexperience showed again last night. A stint in the reserves to get his confidence back might do no harm at all.

McLean: not a good performance. Should have got paid one or 2 marks that the umps didn't give but pretty anonymous apart from that.

Papley: kept fighting anyway even when things weren't going his way. We are lucky he stayed in Sydney because without him, our forward line would look bleak.

Sinclair: the less said the better. I'm not one to slate players but how does he really warrant an inclusion these days?

Hayward: can't remember much about his game while writing this. He tried hard from what I remember but trying hard doesn't put points on the board. As a forward he has got to be kicking more scores.

Wicks: Ill disciplined at times and just isn't ready for senior footy. Great opportunity for him last night to try and nail a spot and become a regular but he done more harm than good to himself.

Buddy: just wasn't good enough. Regardless of coming back from injury or being one of the all time greats, his effort last night when we needed a leader in the forwards was pathetic. Sometimes the game just doesn't go your way (as happens with Papley from time to time) but there is no excuse for lack of effort. Was really disappointed with his performance.

The game was lost on our ability to convert chances created. As a unit, our forwards didn't cut it last night unfortunately but overall, I think we played well against a top side. We WILL be in the mix at the business end of the season! More positives to take from the game than negatives and the negatives are relatively straight forward fixes like don't play 3 tall forwards together again, etc.

Would like to see Stephens, Blakey and Heeney (if fit) come in the next day for Wicks, Gulden and Sinclair. If Heeney is not fit then I'd keep Gulden in the team. Stephens also to come in and put a string of games together as he was hard done by to be dropped for this game and coming in and out of the team like a yoyo could easily affect his confidence and result in him not playing to his full potential.

Apologies about the long post and if you have read to this far....I hope your day improves!!

Going back over the 8 rounds played to date, our backs held Melbourne to their lowest score so far of 67 points with their next lowest score they got being 80 points. Fair to say 67 points isn't a score that would win a lot of games so from this stat, it can be said that our back 6/7 did a pretty decent job against an undefeated team who have scored over 100 points on 3 occasions already this year! I know there can be any sort of stat thrown about but as a unit, the backs performed well.

However, as almost everyone has noted so far, the losing of this game was in the forward line. We could not convert the chances we had and to be fair to the mids, they fed the forwards enough ball but it just wasn't a strong enough effort by our forwards for whatever reason last night. Only 1 team scored less than us against Melbourne this season and the way they are playing at the moment, we had to take advantage of the chances we got. For what it's worth (a lot will say not much!!), here's my analysis on each player:

Rampe: great to have him back and ever reliable, a real clever player who did well.

McCartin: never really know what to expect when he gets the ball. He can do some great things but he is also capable of some awful disposals. A lot of games and including last night he would be responsible for a goal due to a lazy kick/effort. Overall the good probably cancels the bad and I tend to think most his games are 50/50.

Dawson: he divides opinion here but personally I think he is solid, reliable, has good positioning and had a good game.

Cunningham: was solid without being hugely effective going forward. Did his job.

Fox: made a couple of mistakes but did more good than bad. Good to have him back in the team.

Lloyd: solid as always

COR: Similar to Cunningham, did his defensive duties well without being hugely effective going forward. Would like to see him given the freedom to attack more but as a back, did his job.

Florent: really good 1st half but quiet second half. if he can replicate his first half form for the full duration of games going forward he will be a good asset.

Kennedy: solid without standing out but you can see he is valuable to the team. I'm sure he helps the younger players a lot on the pitch in ways we don't see and keeps the team structured so always a worthy inclusion for his leadership presence.

McInerney: I always find myself hoping he can do more in games than he does currently and felt the same last night.

Hickey, Mills and Warner: grouping these guys because they are a strong unit together. Warner and that man Hickey both played very well. Mills was solid too.

Rowbottom: I really like Rowy. He is a determined bugger and I love how he always goes to take on the opposition. Won't always work out but his effort never falters and a man who plays with his heart on his sleeve is a man who you will never beat. Got caught occasionally last night but that will happen when you try to be creative and take the game to the best team in the competition!

Parker: always wanting to be involved last night but we all know that's what we get from Parker at this stage so nothing new there.

Gulden: young and inexperience showed again last night. A stint in the reserves to get his confidence back might do no harm at all.

McLean: not a good performance. Should have got paid one or 2 marks that the umps didn't give but pretty anonymous apart from that.

Papley: kept fighting anyway even when things weren't going his way. We are lucky he stayed in Sydney because without him, our forward line would look bleak.

Sinclair: the less said the better. I'm not one to slate players but how does he really warrant an inclusion these days?

Hayward: can't remember much about his game while writing this. He tried hard from what I remember but trying hard doesn't put points on the board. As a forward he has got to be kicking more scores.

Wicks: Ill disciplined at times and just isn't ready for senior footy. Great opportunity for him last night to try and nail a spot and become a regular but he done more harm than good to himself.

Buddy: just wasn't good enough. Regardless of coming back from injury or being one of the all time greats, his effort last night when we needed a leader in the forwards was pathetic. Sometimes the game just doesn't go your way (as happens with Papley from time to time) but there is no excuse for lack of effort. Was really disappointed with his performance.

The game was lost on our ability to convert chances created. As a unit, our forwards didn't cut it last night unfortunately but overall, I think we played well against a top side. We WILL be in the mix at the business end of the season! More positives to take from the game than negatives and the negatives are relatively straight forward fixes like don't play 3 tall forwards together again, etc.

Would like to see Stephens, Blakey and Heeney (if fit) come in the next day for Wicks, Gulden and Sinclair. If Heeney is not fit then I'd keep Gulden in the team. Stephens also to come in and put a string of games together as he was hard done by to be dropped for this game and coming in and out of the team like a yoyo could easily affect his confidence and result in him not playing to his full potential.

Apologies about the long post and if you have read to this far....I hope your day improves!!
Those are the perfect changes imo for a sunny arvo at the SCG on Saturday!

I think the coaches are furiously trying to figure out to combat what other teams are doing to us, and the players are furiously trying to put it into action.

We probably didn't expect teams to adapt so quickly, because we didn't expect to win the first 3 so we'll.
Now instead of getting to play our gameplan without teams really caring about us, we now have to play vs strategies specifically for how we play. Hopefully we can still give the players a consistent gameplan, and we can get back our first month scoring.

This game left a lot of unanswered questions :

WTF is wrong with Rowbum ? He's lost all touch. He had the first tackle airy I've ever seen. He literally missed a stationary target. Does he need 2s time ?
Which forwards coach thought having 3 boringly static talls camped in the goal square was a good idea on a wet night ?
Was McCartin's mind somewhere else ? He just wasn't in the game, asleep or distracted, leaving too much for Rampe.
When did Cunningham become such a s**t kick ? His game is fine until he tries to kick (ditto for a few other players)
Why do short players milk for frees ? Papley now Gulden. Just play to the whistle. Focus on the play.
Why were we kicking high balls to the top of the goal square ?
Why doesn't Horse kick up a stink about the umpiring, especially the treatment of Buddy ?
Is Hickey the only difference between Swans 2020 & 2021 ?
Is it time some other players had a run ? Good to see Foxy but where is Ling ? Where is Ronke etc ?
Does Richo ever just shut the F up ? No-one liked him as a player. Why do we have to put up with him tossing off during commentary ?
Why do I hate Melbourne teams so much ? Is it the filthy AFL who pretend it's a national game ? It's a Melbourne game run by Melbourne clubs. The rest is BS.

This game left a lot of unanswered questions :

WTF is wrong with Rowbum ? He's lost all touch. He had the first tackle airy I've ever seen. He literally missed a stationary target. Does he need 2s time ?
Which forwards coach thought having 3 boringly static talls camped in the goal square was a good idea on a wet night ?
Was McCartin's mind somewhere else ? He just wasn't in the game, asleep or distracted, leaving too much for Rampe.
When did Cunningham become such a sh*t kick ? His game is fine until he tries to kick (ditto for a few other players)
Why do short players milk for frees ? Papley now Gulden. Just play to the whistle. Focus on the play.
Why were we kicking high balls to the top of the goal square ?
Why doesn't Horse kick up a stink about the umpiring, especially the treatment of Buddy ?
Is Hickey the only difference between Swans 2020 & 2021 ?
Is it time some other players had a run ? Good to see Foxy but where is Ling ? Where is Ronke etc ?
Does Richo ever just shut the F up ? No-one liked him as a player. Why do we have to put up with him tossing off during commentary ?
Why do I hate Melbourne teams so much ? Is it the filthy AFL who pretend it's a national game ? It's a Melbourne game run by Melbourne clubs. The rest is BS.
You have NFI on Rowbottom , also we got some dodgy frees they had nothing to do with the result and i hate the maggots .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back