Status
Not open for further replies.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
I am surprised that Ch 7 did not put up a stat on players who have received the most free kicks.

The innuendo over the years from some commentators has been disrespectful.
There's no doubt the captain has made an art of drawing free kicks. But it's within the rules and an indictment of the poor technique of those who get sucked in over and over again.

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I note Blight in the paper today says the focus on defence is 'boring". It didn't stop him ejecting Austin McCrabb from the quarter -time huddle because he had the temerity to kick the ball across goal - one of the most bastardly coaching acts in the history of AFL.

1620525381617.gif

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
If you need to believe that in order to reinforce your prejudices, then feel free to do so.
If you honestly think he's smart enough to comment on the precise defensive positioning of one of our small defenders then that must be your first exposure to his commentary.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I note Blight in the paper today says the focus on defence is 'boring". It didn't stop him ejecting Austin McCrabb from the quarter -time huddle because he had the temerity to kick the ball across goal - one of the most bastardly coaching acts in the history of AFL.
People don't go to the game to watch backman

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Dasher was tough as nails though.

Scott did that? Now i’ve heard everything. Enough of the reach arounds.

of Cause teams train and prepare those sort of contested pressure game situations and how to break through them.

last year against richmonds pressure and tackling we looked flustered and panicked, on Friday we looked calm and measured when they pressured us and even disposed of the ball under pressure.

the difference between last year and this year is astronomical in that regard. It was trained and worked on all pre season to see that increment of improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
of Cause teams train and prepare those sort of contested pressure game situations and how to break through them.

last year against richmonds pressure and tackling we looked flustered and panicked, on Friday we looked calm and measured when they pressured us and even disposed of the ball under pressure.

the difference between last year and this year is astronomical in that regard. It was trained and worked on all pre season to see that increment of improvement.
So it took him the best part of a decade to realise, and try to fix our players crumbling under pressure? Terrible coaching. It’s been a real weakness of ours for years. A good coach would have been working on fixing that years ago.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So it took him the best part of a decade to realise, and try to fix our players crumbling under pressure? Terrible coaching. It’s been a real weakness of ours for years. A good coach would have been working on fixing that years ago.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

yeah because this team is the same one that got bounced in 2012

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty funny seeing the anti Scott brigade come out and pretend we completely changed game plan and did what they've been calling for. It was exactly how we played when we played well last year. Huge pressure in our forward half and precise kicking from defence using intelligent judgement of when to be conservative and when to bite off the kick that opens up the play.

That performance was also done with Zuthrie in the team, Clark in the VFL and Blicavs playing wing/ruck all of which are signs of Scott's utter incompetence apparently. Seemed to work ok though.

That win should give us real confidence and shows the way to beat the tigers. Absorb their pressure and then play our game being clean going the other way and we can open them up. In saying that though we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves. We could've been further behind early and a mix of bad Richmond errors and our great goalkicking meant we went past them fast. I'd be surprised if they crumble as badly next time but at least we know we have the ability to take their best punch and then turn the pressure back on them.
Actually - no.

The game style against Hawks early this season (for instance) was definitely not the style that you describe of last year - that absolute caution style is what grated on many.

Indeed Scott said that he was encouraging a more attacking style a few weeks back. It is a lot easier of course when you have two A grade key forwards. The limited off season also was a challenge.

Scott has been a very good coach, without question, but many (like me) say you have to mix caution with brave attack, even when you’re down on personnel. We weren’t doing that earlier in season, albeit in different circumstances.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

every coach is a crap coach if your want to use the power of hindsight as criticism, as there is always aspects of the side which needs improving.

your also referring to a coach who entirely transformed our game plan that buckled and crumbled under frontal pressure in 2010 to be able to handle and get around it in 2011 for a flag.

so according to you then, can you please elaborate for me why every other side in the AFL has not been able to absorb the Richmond pressure either?? Must all be failures too if we are using logics like that in hindsight.

probably more aligns with hardwicks comments post game, stating how we now have a very mature physical side who can execute it. Over the years we have been blooding often quite a very immature team and bringing in kids who aren’t up to it. Our depth with maturity is a lot better now. Our team looks a lot stronger than before. We have the cattle to execute it now.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually - no.

The game style against Hawks early this season (for instance) was definitely not the style that you describe of last year - that absolute caution style is what grated on many.

Indeed Scott said that he was encouraging a more attacking style a few weeks back. It is a lot easier of course when you have two A grade key forwards. The limited off season also was a challenge.

Scott has been a very good coach, without question, but many (like me) say you have to mix caution with brave attack, even when you’re down on personnel. We weren’t doing that earlier in season, albeit in different circumstances.

All fair points but what seems to be ignored a lot - what role do the players have in this?

players aren’t robots. You don’t punch in a formula And send them out to play and then they just do it. Their own ability, their own decision making, and the opposition all become a factor.
There would be countless times every weekend where a team doesn’t execute the game plan they are given

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Actually - no.

sorry mate but I’m going to wet myself laughing if I keep hearing how Chris Scott searches the big footy forums for coaching advice.

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
sorry mate but I’m going to wet myself laughing if I keep hearing how Chris Scott searches the big footy forums for coaching advice.
I’d laugh myself (although I’d be a little horrified that he would even bother). But as you know, for the rest of us (media included) are merely observers and many of us (including media) had the same observation that the style that takes some risk and bravery is much more effective than the ultra cautious style.

Anyway- it was a great win on Friday and I look forward to the same style hopefully for the rest of the season, regardless of how any of us categorise it !

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't have the patience or time to read more than two pages of the thread.

Has anyone questioned the last time we played that well?
I know we won the prelim by 10 goals but we didn't play as well as that.

I don't think we played any game in 2020 that well.
Fast, take the game on, execute, and finish with class.
I think we'd have to go way back to find a better performance.

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
Great coach Malcolm but not ‘above’ publicly humiliating players. (Pitiful Pittman etc.). Not an endearing leadership style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back