Preview Round 9, 2021: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Friday 14th May, 7:50PM AEST *WEBSTER 100TH* *WILKIE 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Cats

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
h2KK45c.png

Really tough game and on a big stage. We would have to be at our best to win and they may have to be 10% off as well. They will kill us on the turnover if we use it badly. Only one change and that’s Ross for wood. Ratts needs his best day game coaching as that is Scott’s top skill. Them by 3 goals. By Friday morning us by a point

We really need to fix up our entry otherwise this will be ugly, Tom Stewart might take another 35 intercept marks like a few years ago down at Geelong.

We'll go in as big underdogs given that Geelong just demolished Richmond so that might help to take the pressure off as no one will expect us to win.

The game being at Marvel might help us too as I don't think Geelong play as well there as they do at the MCG but we'll need to play a lot better than we did against Gold Coast, we won't get away with the bad turnovers and poor forward entries against the Cats that the Suns allowed us to get away with.

Ross in for Wood probably the only change unless they decide to bring in Carlisle or Frawley to help out with Hawkins and Cameron.

We really need to fix up our entry otherwise this will be ugly, Tom Stewart might take another 35 intercept marks like a few years ago down at Geelong.

Stewart with 35 intercepts and Selwood with 74 frees for is pretty much a given. Rest assured though, we'll win the I50's and hit outs, even the contest and then probably lose by 7 goals as poor conversion rates on things.

We win it's pretty much a we deserve to be in the 8, pushing for top 6 sort of deal at this stage, instead of a 7-12 kind of club position wise of just making up numbers, shoudla coulda woulda. With our "issues", I don't see us commanding that sort of respect in the game, stranger things have happened though.

We'll go in as big underdogs given that Geelong just demolished Richmond so that might help to take the pressure off as no one will expect us to win.

The game being at Marvel might help us too as I don't think Geelong play as well there as they do at the MCG but we'll need to play a lot better than we did against Gold Coast, we won't get away with the bad turnovers and poor forward entries against the Cats that the Suns allowed us to get away with.

Ross in for Wood probably the only change unless they decide to bring in Carlisle or Frawley to help out with Hawkins and Cameron.
Good point about it being at marvel. It’s funny because I think we play our best football at Marvel but our two worst losses were both there too. However I should also point out both those games we had Hill and Jones out of form and a ruck combination of Carlisle and Hunter. Gross.

I hate the bobble haired campaigner but Kane Cornes is right - we will learn a lot more about us in a fortnight. Very similar to Carlton a fortnight ago. They lost by 28 points to Port and 18 to Brisbane. Given our percentage is just about take that given it being offered up front.

I hope we are competitive - honourable losses suck but atm we can’t afford to have anything other than a win or an honourable loss. Get through this fortnight relatively unscathed and we have three very winnable games coming up after that.

Time to let King loose and allow him to lead.
Not doing him any favours pitting him against three defenders all the time.

Genitalmen Lets not play with ourselves......if we had Ben KING and Dustin MARTIN in our side at present we would still be thinking it hard to call. We have as little chance of pulling off a victory as Billy Eilish coming in the rooms after the game and leading the boys in the song should we do so! I do hear though that she might be a Saints fan!
Regardless I am a dreamer and you never never know in Never Never Land!

Time to let King loose and allow him to lead.
Not doing him any favours pitting him against three defenders all the time.
I think the problem is he needs to be taught to lead. I think the great man would be the best to teach him how to do that.

I think the problem is he needs to be taught to lead. I think the great man would be the best to teach him how to do that.
His brother doesnt seem to have a problem..twins tend to have learnt similar capabilities together........it has to be tied to some kind of shambolic plan

Last edited:
Cats are 1.42
Saints are 2.87
The line is at 14.5

I will be all over the line in this game the cats way. They will murder us at either ends of the ground while the midfield battle would be tight if we bring it. I see two main issues,

1. We are meeting Geelong about a month to early. We are just starting to synergise as a team while Geelong are fully hitting their straps now.
2. Our game style won't work at this point in time against Geelong. Maybe if we are at our peak then yea, okkkk i guess but right now we will be staring at a 15 goal loss.

The only possible way we keep the margin in check and if the stars align come out with a win is to fight fire with fire. We must get numbers behind the ball and we must choke the centre corridor. Got no problem leaving only one or two up forward and the rest play where it matters. If we can force them to use the flanks for forward 50 entries we will be making sure they have difficult shots all night long. Ratten hasn't indicated in his time as senior coach that he will deviate from what we normally do but i hope this week it starts.

Will bring in Cameron this week in my supercoach team and will make him VC. I can see a monster score coming from one of their big three talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats are 1.42
Saints are 2.87
The line is at 14.5

I will be all over the line in this game the cats way. They will murder us at either ends of the ground while the midfield battle would be tight if we bring it. I see two main issues,

1. We are meeting Geelong about a month to early. We are just starting to synergise as a team while Geelong are fully hitting their straps now.
2. Our game style won't work at this point in time against Geelong. Maybe if we are at our peak then yea, okkkk i guess but right now we will be staring at a 15 goal loss.

The only possible way we keep the margin in check and if the stars align come out with a win is to fight fire with fire. We must get numbers behind the ball and we must choke the centre corridor. Got no problem leaving only one or two up forward and the rest play where it matters. If we can force them to use the flanks for forward 50 entries we will be making sure they have difficult shots all night long. Ratten hasn't indicated in his time as senior coach that he will deviate from what we normally do but i hope this week it starts.

Will bring in Cameron this week in my supercoach team and will make him VC. I can see a monster score coming from one of their big three talls.
Sad but seems pretty true!

Milestone games are always a worry for us???

Round 9 Team:

B. Membrey Frawley Wilkie

H.B. Hill Battle Sinclair

C. Clark Jones Crouch

H.F. Billings Howard Butler

F. Higgins King McKernan

Foll. Ryder Ross Steele

Inter. Byrnes, Carlisle, Coffield, Webster, Bytel (sub)

Outs: Bytel, Joyce, Marshall (Inj.) Wood

Last edited:
As we foresee the loss next week as being almost certain, perhaps not having MARSHALL means we can throw what seems the most unplayable ALABAKIS into the Ruck with RYDER if not just for the valuable insight he might receive in what will be a contest above his pay grade, then for the possibility he plays way beyond himself or least what others perceive his current capabilities are and even creates an underestimated nuance, not perhaps expected by Geelong. How much worse could he be than having HUNTER or MCKERNAN.

Its also possible that playing Blue and White striped Cats on Friday the 14th might be like playing Black Cats on Friday the 13th and being cursed for this on this not quite unholy day The Cats will play like they're vomitting fur balls all day.

Last edited:
As we foresee the loss next week as being almost certain, perhaps not having MARSHALL means we can throw what seems the most unplayable ALABAKIS into the Ruck with RYDER if not just for the valuable insight he might receive in what will be a contest above his pay grade, then for the possibility he plays way beyond himself or least what others perceive his current capabilities are and even creates an underestimated nuance, not perhaps expected by Geelong. How much worse could he be than having HUNTER or MCKERNAN.
A lot worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back