Preview Geelong V St Kilda Friday 14th May 2021 750pm @ Colonial

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OConnor did a hammy, he’s weeks off. Not sure on Kolo but I actually prefer the structure without him, not to mention his kicking is deplorable. Stanley in and Blitz goes back full time. Clark also in.

Im starting to wonder whether we are better with Blicavs playing as a mid. His defensive deficiencies and erratic kicking have got us into trouble on a number of times this year. Just play a smaller defence most weeks.

dont give them ideas.

Isnt rohan and close pressure fowards?

Dont need pressure fowards if the fowards keep marking it. They become redundant

You do at marvel. St kilda love to slingshot from their defence so you need fwd pressure to lock it in.

Bit left field but could Taheny come in for Dahlhaus to play as a defensive forward? Been playing as a defender in the VFL recently to develop his defensive game but is a natural forward. Is he ready yet?

You’d think though that Clark would come in for Simpson.

How far is O’Connor and Kolo from being available?
Seeing Taheny on Thursday night he will need to sharpen up his kicking before he gets anywhere near an AFL debut.

For the first time in many years, am looking forward to watching no.5 in particular.
Something about goal kickers which help spruik up the game as a spectacle. Dangerfield was fun (for a short period of time) but it became evident he's just lacking that natural brilliance around goal which Cameron possess in bundles.

From 174 games, he has kicked 439 goals. That's an average of 2.5 goals per game.
Like we saw at the Giants, if he has another quality kpp beside him (Himmelberg), he tends to be the one who breaks off the leash to cause the opposition problems.

This will be a good game. Saints are back and running. Their midfield is very deep and with Ryder/Marshall in ruck dictating terms, it will go right down to the wire as Saints are in all sorts if they drop this and go 4-5.

Im starting to wonder whether we are better with Blicavs playing as a mid. His defensive deficiencies and erratic kicking have got us into trouble on a number of times this year. Just play a smaller defence most weeks.

I'd say it depends on who the opposition play at key forward. Henry on Riewoldt we can get away with because Riewoldt isn't massively tall for a KPF. Against someone like Ben Brown we probably need Blitz to make the match-up work.

So, most likely will be Narkle and Clark for Simpson and Dahlhaus?

Holmes possibly in the mix. Is Kolo ready?

Cupboard pretty bare for pressure forwards. I wonder if they’ll send Atkins forward. That will allow them to bring Kolo back with a slight reshuffle. Not necessarily my preference but I could see them doing it.
I think if Kolo is fit then he will most likely be back in. Atkins probably stays in the backline. With Kolo back it would free up Tuohy. Not exactly like for like but probably the most likely. Simpson has real class and is 100% committed to every contest. Dal has limited ability but gives every contest 110%. Narkle and Clark have more ability than Dal but are not as strong in the contest. Our Match Committee seem to value the commitment to the contest.

I note that M Blight in the paper today said focus on defence is "boring". But when Austin Mc Crabb had the temerity to kick across goal he made him stand alone outside the quarter-time huddle as punishment. It was one of the most bastardly acts by an AFL coach ever.

Meanwhile with any luck we won't see Dalhouse for a while. Clark in please or else Holmes. Incidentally Mooney declared that Jarvis is a "serious talent." Perhaps he's worth a try though there may not be any forward positions available now. I'm not sure we miss Kolo, but I guess the irishman will come back at some point.

Esava's influence on the game exceeded his stats - his size and athletic assets make him a real presence whenever he's around the ball.

Am I dreaming or did someone compare Zac Guthrie with Dasher Milburn? The latter was tough, versatile and could get 30 touches without even trying. Young Zac got a few touches near the end courtesy of his brother.

I think the easiest way to put it is to just say that the result of this game is entirely up to Geelong. I know there's two teams out there but St Kilda are pretty woeful at the moment. I can't think of an acceptable excuse to lose to a team like this.
1 win less than us, on their home deck, quick, Ryder back, King up forward, they will be as challenging as Swans were.

Looks like we'll be making 2 changes ahead of Friday night with some doubts over Simpson & Dahlhaus

Surely first in to replace either of those guys is Narkle - came on as the sub and had a good second half, deserves to hold his spot which then leaves 1 spot to fill

While Ratugolea did do some ruck work on Friday night, we also seemed to preference Blicavs to take the bulk of the load and Ratugolea being more of the #2 - do they go similar against St Kilda or look to bring in Fort to take over the main ruck duties, with Blicavs dropping back?

If we bring in Fort, is that the second change and we leave it at that as no one really put a foot wrong on Friday night, or is there a 3rd change to accommodate the ruck coming in?

There was a shuffle after each centre bounce. Sav took the centre bounces and then moved forward replacing Smith. Blitz was on the wing for the bounce then moved into the ruck once the centre bounce was done. Smith started forward for the bounce and moved to the wing replacing Blitz.

Pretty straightforward this week IMO -

Keep the same ruck setup, as it's perfectly matched to them, and expose the hell out of their defence, who really only have Howard as a decent tall right now.

Something like:

Henry > Membrey
Hendo > King
Blics > Marshall/Ryder when one of them drifts forward
Sav > Ryder/Marshall in the ruck as back up
Hawk to ruck up forward
Wilkie > Rohan
Howard > Jez
Carlisle or Frawley (if one of them is right to go) > Hawk (otherwise Howard > Hawk and Coffield or similar to Jez)

Narkle and Holmes/Clark in for Dahl and Simmo, with a solid effort from Zuthrie giving him the sub vest. If Kolo is right, then he's the second in.

P.S. Controversial opinion, but Blics is a liability if he plays too much time back, and Henry is really starting to break out, so I prefer Blics as a utility, rather than a lockdown key tall. Wouldn't have said that in previous years, but he's just not quick enough/skillful enough with ball in hand like say Hendo, to play such an important position.

Stark difference since the 2nd quarter against the Eagles when they got him out of there, with how we've played in the last 3 weeks. Also much more mobile and competitive than Stanley - so better amongst the mids.
King will be too tall and quick for the in-form Hendo. Blicavs or Sav would be our only options?
We got found out v Swans in defence and ruck against TALL mobiles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a shuffle after each centre bounce. Sav took the centre bounces and then moved forward replacing Smith. Blitz was on the wing for the bounce then moved into the ruck once the centre bounce was done. Smith started forward for the bounce and moved to the wing replacing Blitz.
Which is the same play we saw repeatedly last year, just with Stanley taking the centre bounces rather than Ratugolea

For the first time in many years, am looking forward to watching no.5 in particular.
Something about goal kickers which help spruik up the game as a spectacle. Dangerfield was fun (for a short period of time) but it became evident he's just lacking that natural brilliance around goal which Cameron possess in bundles.

From 174 games, he has kicked 439 goals. That's an average of 2.5 goals per game.
Like we saw at the Giants, if he has another quality kpp beside him (Himmelberg), he tends to be the one who breaks off the leash to cause the opposition problems.

This will be a good game. Saints are back and running. Their midfield is very deep and with Ryder/Marshall in ruck dictating terms, it will go right down to the wire as Saints are in all sorts if they drop this and go 4-5.
Cameron is an excitement machine. His passion really sparks us. Superstar player who I’ve always rated but seeing him first hand is amazing.

Which is the same play we saw repeatedly last year, just with Stanley taking the centre bounces rather than Ratugolea
It's a look I really liked and is the reason I've been banging on about needing another kpd. Don't know if we can sustain it against tall forward lines without finding one

And lost to Adelaide and swans and were hardly great against north. Do you get how making top 4 works?
We weren't poor against North, but it's hard to play a free flowing, attacking game such as Friday night when a team throws the vast majority of their players into their defensive half just to block up the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back