2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
The commentator seemed to like the look of Jack Johnston (195cm) and Will Bella (194cm). Nice to see some of our academy talls getting noticed and I wonder if Johnston is a chance to be picked up by us in the mid-season draft. I think we could use another tall defender on our list given we really struggled that week that we were missing Ballard.
Johnston is one I thought would get an opportunity on another list last year, has very little fundamentally wrong with his game but isn't exactly that impactful in transition/ in offense which hurts his chances a little bit, but as a lockdown KPD there are definitely worse options already on lists.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Definitely had a chance to win several times but that many turnovers is going to bite you eventually

Could have iced the game half a dozen times. Just the younger players lacking composure and exposure at this level.

And we need to turn over the older deadwood like Murdoch, Hombsch, etc and replace with high potential state league players who will push best 22. Not at the end of their careers going through the motions.

The big positive is our reserves are every bit as as good, and in my opinion look to have a lot more young talent than a big Victorian club.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah Jeffries looked taller than Bella to me.

I like the look of Bella.
At 18 years old and a big lad he has an interesting play style. Marked on the lead a number of times, not really using his big frame in contested marking situations. That is very encouraging to me as you would expect this aspect to improve as he learns to use his body. As Supersuns mentioned. His leading patterns seem quite advanced. 7 marks today

Also seems to kick it fairly straight for goal - Nice goal from directly in front and hit the post from a relatively acute angle ~30m out.
Cheers for the breakdown :thumbsu:

Jeffrey's growth reminds me of Ballard's situation. Charlie grew around 15cms in his final year of junior footy and was barely key position height when we drafted him. Then he continued to grow while on our list and is around the 200cm mark now. If Bella is 195cm and Jeffrey is now taller than him then you'd have to think we've probably got another potential key position player on our hands if he is developed correctly in terms of muscle building/training.

Bella is certainly an exciting prospect. He is absolutely massive for a 17 year old which makes me wonder how big he'll be when we get some preseasons into him! We know his father (Anthony) and uncles (Martin & Robert) played professional rugby league at 120+ kgs so he's obviously just has a big body naturally but it's about honing those genetics to create an athlete capable of dominating in the AFL. Very encouraging to read his leading patterns are advanced and marking is a strong point for him.

It's also nice to see regional area like Mackay producing AFL players. The only other AFL player I can think of from Mackay is David Armitage. It is very much a rugby league town for the most part. I'm sure the media will be all over the story if we draft the son of a former professional rugby league player.

LiveTheDream73

Debutant
Apr 18, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bohdi Uwland named best. Didn’t get mentioned here much so was keen to understand
IMG_0387.JPG
what he offered

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bohdi Uwland named best. Didn’t get mentioned here much so was keen to understand View attachment 1116203what he offered

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Case of mistaken identity. ;)

In all seriousness he had a few nice defensive plays but can't possibly be considered as the best Suns player.

Last week Jack Johnston was named best as well - wonder if they are nominating an academy player specifically? Weird.

LiveTheDream73

Debutant
Apr 18, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks Mt I
Haven’t heard much about Bohdi so was keen to hear more but was really surprised when I saw his name in best but I haven’t watched the game in detail

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Case of mistaken identity. ;)

In all seriousness he had a few nice defensive plays but can't possibly be considered as the best Suns player.

Last week Jack Johnston was named best as well - wonder if they are nominating an academy player specifically? Weird.
Reeves had the ball the most but had disposal problems. Think if Murtagh is playing he has to play in the ruck to lead him to the ball so don't know why Hofert was playing. Think they Probably have worked out who they are taking from the academy so putting guys in the best like Bohdi may attract the attention of other WAFL or SAFL clubs like Josh Gore who won this week's rising star. Would be good to see other academy kids go that way rather than taking the Southport route. Mind you have heard B Crossley is a real chance to get picked up in the mid season by a Vic club

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Reeves had the ball the most but had disposal problems. Think if Murtagh is playing he has to play in the ruck to lead him to the ball so don't know why Hofert was playing. Think they Probably have worked out who they are taking from the academy so putting guys in the best like Bohdi may attract the attention of other WAFL or SAFL clubs like Josh Gore who won this week's rising star. Would be good to see other academy kids go that way rather than taking the Southport route. Mind you have heard B Crossley is a real chance to get picked up in the mid season by a Vic club
I have a suspicion the scouts from other clubs would watch the game rather than relying on who was named in the best on the AFL App.

yes smith, murtagh,Hoefert trio doesn’t exactly make for a balanced side but I guess the primary purpose of the vfl isn’t for our team to win the vfl premiership.

None of the academy were amongst the best players in reality.

interesting to see how crossley goes. Good pick up st kilda I reckon. Marshall and crossley combo be decent.

I have a suspicion the scouts from other clubs would watch the game rather than relying on who was named in the best on the AFL App.

yes smith, murtagh,Hoefert trio doesn’t exactly make for a balanced side but I guess the primary purpose of the vfl isn’t for our team to win the vfl premiership.

interesting to see how crossley goes. Good pick up st kilda I reckon. Marshall and crossley combo be decent.
There was definitely recruiters there at the VFL game. You can tell, they have the fold up chairs on the AAMI Park side, and I go by their backpacks, usually have a club symbol on them. I saw Essendon at very least.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Can't believe the Reserves have a bye already , will be interesting if the Swans v Casey game goes ahead after the Covid cases in NSW

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can't believe the Reserves have a bye already , will be interesting if the Swans v Casey game goes ahead after the Covid cases in NSW
Southpoint beat North by a 100 points , sad to see some of the quality of some of the vfl teams but wonder if there are any mid season draft prospects in the Sharks team

Back