Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

+Betts: turned back the hands of time! Unbelievable
+Like the ball movement and intent we showed in the first 2 1/2 quarters

-Fog missing a 20 metre open goal. Unforgivable
-JSOS has the heart of a lion, but get him completely away from the goals. Absolutely s**t any time he has to shoot. 20 metres twice uncontested and you can’t goal? Really?
-Stockers unforgivable turnover in the 3rd quarter, Jesus Christ.

Finally, everyone is free to question Murphy’s inclusion into this side, but don’t do that and then say Cripps deserves to be in this team. He’s actively hurting us at the stoppages trying to play hero ball and not doing the basics. Tries to take on 3 players at every opportunity and just *s it all up. Completely disrespecting all those around him. Has been our worst player for 6 1/2 games this year and should be dropped to the 2’s to find form.

Stat of the day: centre clearances.

Pittonet 4
Cripps 2
Walsh 1
That's the list.

Liberatore had more center clearances than Carlton.

Take out Pitto grabbing it and hoofing it forward and the mids were beaten 23-3 at centre bounces

People having a go at Pitto have rocks in their head.

The free kick that gave Sweet a goal wasn't there. He actually grabbed the ball out of the ruck or just thumped in forward quite a few times...he did his job.
More centre clearances than all our mids combined.

Not his fault our mids at his feet got obliterated.

What do we do though.. if none of this works as well. We are looking at another decade of mediocrity.

Somethings gotta give. We highlight a game as a turning point and then sh*t the bed.

When is enough is enough? When do we arrive? How do all these teams drop and rise so quickly, and yet here we are fighting to be relevant.
No I don’t think it will be a decade of mediocrity. But we should trade a few, including Dow and O’Brien, at season’s end. We should get Cerra. We should also develop the very young talent in the reserves.
we don’t lose by huge margins after all. On one view we did well against the Bulldogs because they unquestionably have more talent and a greater ability to execute their game plan.
So, on one view, the close results suggest that we only need three good players who can slot straight into the seniors.

I wonder why we didn’t make a play for Treloar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people surprised and disappointed by the “capitulation”. Did you people JUST start barracking for Carlton?!

Our games are more scripted than the WWF!

-Look good for two, maybe two and half quarters.
-18 blokes leaving everything for Weitering, McKay, and Walsh to do.
-Get into a winning position.
-Concede somewhere between 5 and 8 unanswered goals at some point.
-Lose by about 20 points.
-Persist with a lazy, incompetent coach, who is completely out of his depth.

If you want to enjoy watching the mighty blues play; sit back, know the script, and STOP EXPECTING BETTER!

I'm interested to hear what Teague has to say, I really do not want to hear anything about taking the positives out and that there'll be great learnings to take out of this game.
When we played our way we were winning
Then when we didn't, we were losing?

We went from winning around the ground and beating them in contested ball pretty handily to contested ball being even in the final term; given we were about 20 in front, that's one hell of a gap they closed late. It's painful, but there are a few silver linings.

Had we won today, it would've disguised the fact that Cripps is simply not at AFL standard this year. Hugh Greenwood is a better player in this season than Cripps is. He is our stoppage winner and contested ball gun, and he's not doing either of those things. If he's injured, get him right and sort him out off-field, because playing him as is is hurting us.

Had we won today, it would've disguised the fact that Williams as a mid simply isn't working. He's not getting to good positions; he's fumbling the lose or contested ball; he's not hitting kicks or getting separation; his tackles are slipping. This is not the player we traded for, so the question becomes WTF is going on there? He's a better player than he's shown, but 7 possessions from a midfielder against a top 4 side is arguably what killed us.

I think we need to look at something a mite more radical around the ball. We need to change it up, have Walsh on the wing and play him as a winger instead of genuinely inside; Stocker and Ed as inside mids, with Martin and/or SPS on the periphery/second ring of a stoppage. Let's get a bit of mobility in there, and let's put some tackling and grunt around the stoppage, with the key being to reinsert Cripps only when he's 100%.

People belting Pittonett around today. It's not surprising, but I don't know why they're expecting Gawn levels of skill or Mumford levels of aggression from him. He's a hard working ruckman who plays a kick behind fairly well and is decent around the ground. He's also about one of the only players (including Stocker) who fired a shot in the final term. He's not the future (TDK is) so bitching about him when TDK's barely been back playing is a bit silly for mine.

The thing is, we are moving from being a team of almosts to a team that knows they can. Last year, we were 'almost' there, weekly; this season, to this point, we've still kind of been 'almost' there. Today, we could've but we didn't, and we know it. There's a bitterness to the taste of this; you could see it when Cripps kicked that goal. This was not a game that we made it look good or couldn't ever have won; this was a game that looked like they knew genuinely slipped through their fingers. There's solace in knowing that this one will burn a bit.

Would've been a good one to win going into next week and the rest of the season. Ah well.

We are at absolute tipping point as a club. Our playing squad has significant issues psychologically and I think our coaching staff (not just Teague, but the buck stops with him) are bereft of ideas when things get tough.

Where are the posters who hunt in packs, refuse to allow any criticism of the club and denigrate posters for daring to step out of line of the accepted groupthink of this board now? How can that result be spun?
Weird that you think about posters right now and not our club?

I was thinking if this was Essendon it would be 'Brave Bombers'.

But kudos to the AFL site who at least described us as as 'a gallant Carlton'

+Betts: turned back the hands of time! Unbelievable
+Like the ball movement and intent we showed in the first 2 1/2 quarters

-Fog missing a 20 metre open goal. Unforgivable
-JSOS has the heart of a lion, but get him completely away from the goals. Absolutely sh*t any time he has to shoot. 20 metres twice uncontested and you can’t goal? Really?
-Stockers unforgivable turnover in the 3rd quarter, Jesus Christ.

Finally, everyone is free to question Murphy’s inclusion into this side, but don’t do that and then say Cripps deserves to be in this team. He’s actively hurting us at the stoppages trying to play hero ball and not doing the basics. Tries to take on 3 players at every opportunity and just fu**s it all up. Completely disrespecting all those around him. Has been our worst player for 6 1/2 games this year and should be dropped to the 2’s to find form.
He hit the post twice mate, then went off with a concussion after being out for a month with a shoulder, which he did in Rd1 when he was looking his best ever.

The bloke cannot catch a ******* break and even I'm angry about it, I cannot imagine how he must feel. I hope he can get a run on it because he is so ******* important to us.

Back