Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly v Port Adelaide Round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Talia has been managed before. I’m sure there are others.

Not that being managed has much relationship to being able to play under duress.

Talia played out last year with a torn meniscus whilst we had McAsey and Butts playing in the 2s. We had Harto playing in the 1s as well. Talia has never been managed. Last player I can recall was Thommo in 2016.

should we maybe play the next best KPD while we're awaiting Talia's return?
Definitely, it hurting us and Doedee in a sense. I would play Murray until McAsey is physically ready, which I don’t feel he is.

In the end it doesn’t matter as our midfield is shocking and we don’t have Anyone to come in and change. We will have the same issue because without a competent midfield, our backs and forwards will look crap no matter who the personnel is

I wouldn't at the time either.

But in hindsight giving him 4 years doesn't sound so bad

greenwood I would have. With Keath we had Harto and Talia plus Doedee as the intercept type. We've ended up with Butts and McAsey with Murray looking capable also and presumably 2 more years of Talia. Keath just slows down the development of that group. Our deepfenders are good enough when our midfield can apply pressure between the arcs. There's big problems being caused for them that they have no control over.

I made a similar observation in the game day thread, it happened a number of times so must be a "coaching tactic".

There was a ball up on the outer side on the 50m arc, Tex did the ruck and Rob was standing on the edge of the centre square about 15m away on a 45 degree angle. Ridiculous positioning for a ruckman, it wasn't an accident as it kept on occuring.

it's so stupid I felt I was unleashing on ROB for being an idiot. If it's the coaches we are in deep s**t.

it's so stupid I felt I was unleashing on ROB for being an idiot. If it's the coaches we are in deep sh*t.
he is as thick as two planks old ROB.. so many times he just gets in the wrong position and often blocks his own team mates from getting the ball out of the centre..

Yet another player with great endevour but poor skills and decision making.

he is as thick as two planks old ROB.. so many times he just gets in the wrong position and often blocks his own team mates from getting the ball out of the centre..

Smart guy off field, thick as on it.

Just on the FOgarty issue.

He's too skilled to be stuck in the SANFL, and if you play him there, he'll leave.
You need to find a role in the AFL side until Tex/Lynch move on.

Get his fitness up, and you can play him in that Lynch role. Though, we should probably be doing that while he's injured, but yano....
I have to disagree that he's a viable replacement for Lynch. A fit Lynch was able to get space on his opponent and cover a lot of territory. I simply can't imagine the Fog ever doing that role. The closest match is definitely Tex, and we may need to make a hard call and rest Tex to give Fog the chance to succeed in that position. I don't think we can play the both of them in the same side - they're too similar. I do agree, however, that he's wasted to an extent in the SANFL, as we can't win the midfield there either, so that means he's getting limited feeds inside 50 anyway.

Yeah really noticed it last week, he often is trying to get the ball one of our guys has a clear line to.

Can see why he tries to gather it, but needs to be smarter.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah really noticed it last week, he often is trying to get the ball one of our guys has a clear line to.

Can see why he tries to gather it, but needs to be smarter.

His follow up stuff was great last year, he now just gets in the way.

Well, when he's a sponsor of 2 players currently, the club might want to disassociate itself from such filth

should our club take notice of what we post in BigFooty? Who gives a s**t what some port dickhead posted in their forum. We shouldn't and nor should port.

ROB is very intelligent off the footy field and is studying bio-medicine but on the footy field he lacks footy smarts like a lot of players. This needs to be a key focus moving forward as Ogilvie has a knack for picking players that are not great thinkers on field. It's very evident when you watch our matches as opposed to the other clubs in the league. Pick footballers with athleticism and not athletes with no footy IQ. Athleticism, footy iq, good foot skills, height, pace should be our primary focus at the draft. Basically the opposite of most of our picks.

If I had to rate the drafting criteria it would be:
1. Footy smarts and ability to think on field.
2. Athleticism
3. Good foot skills
4. Pace
5. Height

I also feel we should be looking for players that have resilient body types. Obviously it's very hard to project a player's injury future but we seem to draft players that don't stand up physically when the heat is on in game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His follow up stuff was great last year, he now just gets in the way.
I wonder if his follow up was great last year as our midfield was so poor.

Now, our mid more capable (slightly) he is getting in the way.

2020, a mid wasn't able to win tge clearance. RoB stepped in.

2021 a mid can win a clearance, RoB still in 2020 mindset. Gets in way.

I wonder if his follow up was great last year as our midfield was so poor.

Now, our mid more capable (slightly) he is getting in the way.

2020, a mid wasn't able to win tge clearance. RoB stepped in.

2021 a mid can win a clearance, RoB still in 2020 mindset. Gets in way.

Our midfield is arguably worse than last year

it's so stupid I felt I was unleashing on ROB for being an idiot. If it's the coaches we are in deep sh*t.

It happened multiple times, if it wasn't a coaches directive ROB would be told not to position himself there.

It stood out like dogs balls so even our great coaching panel would have noticed it, they were obviously on board with it.

When are we actually going to be the aggressors against this mob? FFS, it's always our blokes going off injured. Next Showdown I'd really like us to belt in and bruise some bodies - even if we lose. Fly the flag boys...
Just watched the Lycett tackle on McHenry again and the whistle is blown and then he dumps him, should get 4 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back