Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though I’m not watching I can just see and hear Kingy running his fat mouth salivating at the chance to criticise us.
Because we should be lauded endlessly after that effort.

2) we lost a lot of shape and structure when hack hot injured and went off. Harry had to push higher and had no influence. Dud jack actually get concussed - didn't look to have the time to take the teat?

We showed both our ability and our fragility today
Hey Frizz I think you need to get your autocorrect checked.... I know it wasn't JSOS best game but he's no hack or dud. :)

As for the teat I ain't touching that one..

Yeah but Dimma has some real Mongrel and grunt in him. Teague presents as if he’s on Valium. Teague is obviously an introvert. You have to wonder whether that psychological type is suited to being a senior AFL coach. Seriously.
Doesn't matter if you have all the mongrel and grunt in the world... if your assistant coaches can't implement and train to your plan, you're worth a 1lb sack of s**t. Teague had just as much mongrel and grunt about him as Dimma did.

Melbourne's pressure has been phenomenal all season. Our mids will not be able to cope with it. Hopefully Petracca stands down this week due to a corky.
That's kinda what I've been thinking as well.

Doesn't matter if you have all the mongrel and grunt in the world... if your assistant coaches can't implement and train to your plan, you're worth a 1lb sack of sh*t. Teague had just as much mongrel and grunt about him as Dimma did.
“Had“. What as a player? We are talking about Teague as a coach. One of the things coaches are expected to do is to challenge, enervate and inspire their players. On those fronts I’d prefer Dimma over Teague.

Our defence personal are quite amazing. Doc and weits huge, and I think Jones was good as well. Loved seeing weiters and Jones show legitimate concern after a dogs goal talk it out with each other. I've been dubious on plowman but he's having a good year. And docherty is slowly getting back his dominance of yesteryear.
Even more impressive, is these efforts despite systematic opposition overlap in transition for deadly entries, which is very concerning given that it was frequently on display in the VFL as well.

A couple of years ago... Dimma was about to lose his job, but the board had faith in him... sacked all the assistant coaches and replaced them with better assistant coaches... yeah... that was such a failure wasn't it?

Every game this year, as soon as the opposition puts the pressure on, our midfield folds. Either for a quarter, and we sometimes manage to pull it back for a win or we can't pull it back, and our mids start jogging around not know what to do to counter what's happening and we lose. Whose fault is that? Teague or the guys whose jobs it actually is to set up the structures for our mids and stoppages group?

Teague can come up with a gold plated plan that would win the next 10 premierships on the trot... but if his assistant coaches can't train the players for that plan... according to you... it's Teague' fault.

The senior coach drives the standards, insisits on the non-negotiable actions, develops the mindset and ultimately changes behaviours to build a winning culture...We are losing NOT because of the WHAT and the HOW of gameplan, stoppages, structures...we are losing because as a team, the WHY of winning and success aren't there. You may find it a bitter pill to swallow but YES, it is Teague's fault

It’s not just “sack the coach”. Rather it’s acknowledging we’re not performing anywhere near expectations and that a better leadership resource is available. Better to consider that than continuing to accept mediocrity.
Sacking Teague and appointing Ross "I'm going to flood the defence and slow things right down" Lyon is accepting mediocrity. Our club is known for attacking football. Ross Lyon is not known for attacking football.

“Had“. What as a player? We are talking about Teague as a coach. One of the things coaches are expected to do is to challenge, enervate and inspire their players. On those fronts I’d prefer Dimma over Teague.

Enervate, so Teague needs to innovate with an enema bag?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As disappointing as that was I don’t think it’s time to over react.. We dominated for 2 quarters and held our own for 1.. but then the last which was a disaster and completely out coaches and out played..

Questions do need to be asked wtf was Cripps doing stuck inside 50 when we were getting bossed in the midfield.. Why were we so slow and unable to react to the Bontempelli onslaught.. did we not have a plan to shut him down?

Williams was bad and very bad.. let’s forget about the fact he is on ridic coin and just demand he produce the non negotiables..

Positives
Weiters - freak and dominated everything
Betts- I am his biggest critic and don’t believe he should be in the team but credit where it’s due.. outstanding
Owies - thought he was very good especially early
Doch - returned to the player we know he can be.
Harry - Battled real hard and got some reward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well at least we’ve moved on from honorable to dishonorable losses. That was a terrible fade out.

Levi and Gibbo should have been dropped weeks ago. Levi adds nothing - he’s tall yes, but he is beyond useless - we’d be better off with a garden gnome.

Weiters is our true leader - he needs to made captain.
Love this place, goes Pick 1? Put him in the leadership group. Plays a few good games? Make him captain. Plays a few bad games? Delist, trade, sack. Gets a few possessions anywhere on the ground? Midfield. Fails in the midfield? Why is he played out of position? The utter kneejerk numbskullery that plays out here after a loss needs to be the trigger for a Royal Commission into sporting idiocy. I'm happy to write the terms of agreement.

As disappointing as that was I don’t think it’s time to over react.. We dominated for 2 quarters and held our own for 1.. by then the last which was a disaster and completely out coaches and out played..

Questions do need to be asked wtf was Cripps doing stuck inside 50 when we were getting bossed in the midfield.. Why were we so slow and unable to react to the Bontempelli onslaught.. did we not have a plan to shut him down?

Williams was bad and very bad.. let’s forget about the fact he is on ridic coin and just demand he produce the non negotiables..

Positives
Weiters - freak and dominated everything
Betts- I am his biggest critic and don’t believe he should be in the team but credit where it’s due.. outstanding
Owies - thought he was very good especially early
Doch - returned to the player we know he can be.
Harry - Battled real hard and got some reward.
In the 3rd quarter Cripps was on the bench for the first 6 minutes. The most important quarter, where we could have and should have finished them off...

That's not the point. We are not playing a brand of football that is going make the club finalists. Our present "attacking" style will makes us competitive against teams around or below us on the ladder, but not consistently good enough to beat the top teams.

So throw in the towel?

Great way to keep McKay and Cripps on the books.

I disagree with this strongly. The AFL is heading more and more to an attacking, high scoring game. Rule changes and natural evolution are going that way, and we are right to be trying to follow.

We lost today against arguably the beat team jn the comp so far, with a host of players missing.

We lost because our midfield got absolutely creamed in centre bounces. Because our captain Cripps had one disposal in a 35 minute stretch where we got run off the park. Becausr Zac Williams was paid $40,000 for that game and did absolutely nothing.

we also lost Because we stopped following the game plan. We stopped attacking, stopped running through the middle, stopped finding targets out of defence and blazed away instead. We stopped our clear plan of getting extra numbers to contests and got beaten one on one.

The game plan helped us kick 85 points while missing 5 forwards who would have played if fit (Curnow, Fisher, Martin, McGovern and then Silvagni). That's the second highest score kicked against the Bulldogs this year. I'm OK with that.

In the cold light of day it was a decent performance that we weren't good enough to finish off. Still a lot better than we have seen, even this year...
AFL can do whatever they like but when it comes to finals time its purely contested footy that wins the big games and this style of footy will mostly get found out imo .
Adelaide 2017 and GWS of recent times perfect examples .

I don’t mind Kingy has some pretty astute observations. Some on here talk as though the entire media are against us.. I think most of media don’t see us as being very relevant anymore (sadly)
Spot on. And neither should they. Why should any stakeholders lose sleep waiting for us to arrive.

In the end if the game was close throughout and we just lost at the end by 16 most people would have been pretty content. The fact that we were up by 27 (should have been 7-8 goals) and then lost by 16 is why so many people a disappointed. One of Pitto/Cas out next week for TDK, Pitto was practically rucking for the Dogs tonight. Other changes should be dictated based on VFL form of Setters, Newman, Dow, O'Brien, Willo etc. Look we aren't far from these big teams, just hope this loss doesn't suck the confidence of the players and affect their mentality.

Back