Autopsy Losing a home game at the Gabba - round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb could be our Blicavs
Blicavs runs hard and fast all game.
He tackles hard, applies forward pressure, smothers kicks and handballs, and genuinely spends every single ounce he has every game.

Lobb does none of those things, never has, never will.

We are definitely looking for wings. First bad one from Acres but Aish has become rubbish. Back line or Peel afaic
Can't see how Giro could possibly be considered worse than him.
If you can overlook the pathetic non tackle from Blakely, I thought we looked better on the inside with him in there.
Will still let the ball walk out of there too easily and allowing far to many coming from behind runners from the opposition get the ball. Would love to know if that is our half forwards or midfielders (probably both) that are responsible.
Play the three talls ffs Henry had 194cm Gardiner against him most of the day. Just mind numbingly dumb.

I've gone out and gotten dinner, so have simmered down a bit;

+
  • Thought Darcy was immense - our BOG by a considerable length
  • The midfield responded after a terrible effort last week
  • Fought hard in the second half rather than switching off - not quite getting some of the Serong criticsm here.
  • Blakely worked hard, and should knock one of Acres or Aish out if there's any justice.

-
  • Lobb is now a red alert-level liability - amazing how he suddenly moved out of lazy jog mode right at the death for the second week in a row. Meek offers more as second ruck, Treacy offers more as a forward target. Get rid of him.
  • Because of Lobb's out and out laziness, Tabs is getting murdered two or three-on-one at every contest.
  • Not enough pressure being put on repeat offenders who've been largely phoning it in this year - Acres, Aish, Crowden, Lobb (as above). Colyer and Schultz have more credits in the bank, but shouldn't be allowed to get away with what they're currently delivering.
  • I'll back Fyfe in to fix his set shot kicking, but we're worryingly deep into psychologist's couch territory here.

Preliminary changes;

Out: Acres, Aish, Crowden, Lobb, Frederick (inj)
In: Treacy, Meek, Western, Cerra, Ryan
It’s no secret that Lobb’s man is now just backing up Tabs’. Treacy on the other hand offers more.
Perhaps play Treacy and Meek. With Lobb full time forward? We can carry 4 talls, not like the smalls are doing anything to help anyway

Henry looked pretty good today, much more on pace than his previous games. He has to stay in the side now, just let the kid develop and you'll eventually start seeing results. If you're going to commit to actually building these kids up then you have to keep playing them no matter what, the more AFL game time they see the better that they'll adjust. Henry, Treacy, Meek, Western should all be seeing as much AFL time as they can right now. I'd bring in Treacy this week, our forward line looks so good with him in it, even if he's not kicking goals the structure works much more effectively. Have Henry play that high half forward role alongside Walters with Treacy at CHF? That's a pretty decent half forward line you have, Taberner deep with guys like Schultz and Switkowski beneath him? That's a pretty good forward line. Lobb can start on the bench and come on for Taberner and Treacy when they're tired. Don't let Lobb near the ruck and have Meek come in to share the load with Darcy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily. Need line in the sand style droppings. Aish, Acres have been poor off the wing. Schulz has played a magical act and disappeared completely. He’s definitely out for Switter, if we’re serious as a team
Sorry but I don't get the Aish hate!?
He was one of the only ones getting near the ball first half
Might have made a Clanger or 2 but who didn't today
Acres is really clean with his ball use when not under too much pressure but still too soft for my liking

Unfortunately like Lobb their size and experience is going to keep them in the 22 most weeks.

He could play defence and ruck. We are clearly undersized down back until one of Hamling or Pearce returns. Would allow Treacy to come back in​
Why would you take a guy who applies no pressure, doesn't tackle, doesn't spoil and doesn't crash packs, and ask him to play down back??!!??

And then ask him to spend the rest of his time in the ruck, a position he has no interest in?

If you are going to try out a new tall back option, either of Meek or Treacy would give much more sustained effort over 4 quarters than Lobb.

Blakely stays. We need a defensive, tough nut inside. Connor didn’t shy away from anything and got better as time went on. Cerra can take Acres spot, and run. We need his class outside
Yes

• Our first choice centre square (I think this is possibly Fyfe, Mundy and Serong) looks first class when we have the ball and in no man's land when it doesn't. In the case of the latter it also makes our defence look stupid at times. I thought it was interesting that we looked significantly better defensively out of the centre square when Blakely was there; I reckon that there is almost a case to keep him in and have him ready for playing locking down in there if we teams start to get a role on.
  • Duman I thought had a good game in defence and on the rebound added a bit; he is a good backup option to have for Chapman.
  • Happy that we won the second half and both of the last two quarters; so what you like about Brisbane dropping off but it was important that we did that.

If there’s any integrity at all around selection Acres and Lobb HAVE to be dropped.
Weak as piss. Don’t want to hear excuses about structure, or coaching or any other bullshit reasons why they should play next week.
They lack one simple ingredient - hardness.
You can’t manufacture it either, you’ve either got it or you don’t, and they don’t, full stop.
The vendetta against Lobb is hilarious. He's literally rated as one of our best. Get over it.

Before the game, we were all rushing out to buy oodles of lube. We were in for a big one, ........... lose.

Yes, we have a long way to go, but did we actually play better than we thought we would ?. Was there any positives, players step up, players go worse ?.

Tabs needs support, tomorrow there should be a ticket waiting at the airport for a Peel player.

Henry, yep that is better. Got his confidence back.

Darcy, gave everything.

Logue looked better, as long as we get improvement each week.

Hard to abuse our backline, did their best with few tools. Midfield / forward is the problem.

I’m in the positive camp, as be actually turned up for most of the game. We need to get the team on the field with few changes to create trust between players. At present we are playing with what we have.

Is being 4 and 4 so bad ?. Next week is Essendon.

The vendetta against Lobb is hilarious. He's literally rated as one of our best. Get over it.
Say what??

Rated as one of our best by who??

The Tax Office because they love the extra tax from his big pay packet??

• Our first choice centre square (I think this is possibly Fyfe, Mundy and Serong) looks first class when we have the ball and in no man's land when it doesn't. In the case of the latter it also makes our defence look stupid at times. I thought it was interesting that we looked significantly better defensively out of the centre square when Blakely was there; I reckon that there is almost a case to keep him in and have him ready for playing locking down in there if we teams start to get a role on.
  • Duman I thought had a good game in defence and on the rebound added a bit; he is a good backup option to have for Chapman.
  • Happy that we won the second half and both of the last two quarters; so what you like about Brisbane dropping off but it was important that we did that.
Yeah that combination is an issue defensively. Serong spent a lot of time in the past just playing off his man and receiving the dish out. He needs to get back to work now. Agree about Duman and Blakely but can we trust him to do it again next week?
Good to see Logue getting back into the swing of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back