Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why isn't Williams playing on a back flank with Saad...can't tag them both...Williams is not a mid or a forward....terrible coaching...best teams are based on defence....we have it with Jones weitering doc Saad and Williams...do it Teaguey you nuffy
You make it sound so easy you nuffie. As if both will be god and Jesus off half back flank.

We need to win the ball in the guts.

They are nothing more than icing on the cake at the minute. Frontrunners like Cripps should take the blame

Bravo!
I guess every time the buck stops with the coach, but you cannot continually applaud a win and crucify a loss. As someone stated earlier, every team we have lost to except Collingwood (who played out of their skins) are in the eight.

Would it be such a terrible thing if we were to stop crucifying the coach and actually admit that sometimes you play a team that is much better than yours?

Geelong just doubled Richmond's score a week after we were told by all in the media that the Tigs are back. Should Hardwicks position be under threat because his team lose to another who were better on the night?

Richmond, in fact have played the same number of last years finalists as us and are a whole 1 win above us on the ladder.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

M2C...the doggies upped the ante and we couldn’t and/or didn’t go with them.
My fear is we don’t have the extra gear when needed. Our hunger for the contest and will to win, isn’t anywhere near where a successful team’s is. All the talk about wanting success isn’t being translated. The players don’t want it bad enough.

Same players are letting this team down every week and you cannot carry 5 to 6 players every week. If you add the injured players like Casboult and Cripps and the number becomes unworkable. Add the fact we have trading in the wrong type of player, now have an unbalanced list and it exasperates the issue.

Ps. When is someone going to tell Jones to punch when from behind and not in a position to mark?

Just once. I’d like to see Teague a little animated. Bevo was bouncing around on the sidelines directing his charges.
Teague just sat with that surprised look on his face.

is the Williams trade warranty still in date?. If so. Geez, send him back for a refund. Unused, still in package.

When it counted. The Bont showed his leadership. Treloar stood up (why we didn’t go for him is beyond me) Crippa was either on the Bench or hiding in the FP. Unacceptable From our skip. I hate to say it. But I think he’s half out the door. :(

PS. SOSs importance to us is so under valued.

I guess every time the buck stops with the coach, but you cannot continually applaud a win and crucify a loss. As someone stated earlier, every team we have lost to except Collingwood (who played out of their skins) are in the eight.

Would it be such a terrible thing if we were to stop crucifying the coach and actually admit that sometimes you play a team that is much better than yours?

Geelong just doubled Richmond's score a week after we were told by all in the media that the Tigs are back. Should Hardwicks position be under threat because his team lose to another who were better on the night?

Richmond, in fact have played the same number of last years finalists as us and are a whole 1 win above us on the ladder.
Until we beat start beating teams in the 8, we are just making up the numbers.

Which one of this blokes helps the midfield though? Our defence and forwards were really good today, our mids were not
Personally id love to be able to use Fish and Jack Martin in the midfield if they where available because they both work hard defensively and are pretty good users of the ball .
Think we have enough smalls to cover Fish forward especially as i hope they are trying Durdin and Honey soon .

This is not the first time that we've run out of legs in games.

The same thing happened exactly a week ago. If Essendon weren't relying on so many young charges I fear they would have kept their momentum and slammed us.

How is it possible that we've gone from being one of the fittest clubs in the competition to being completely out of legs over the last twelve months?

Honestly, what is going on?

We supposedly have the fitness guru of the AFL at the club.

Our terrible game plan, combined with our stoppage set-ups, mean we have to work way too hard during the game. Nothing is easy for us, because our systems suck.
We work hard enough, but not smart enough, so we can't do it for 4 quarters.

Now that it's been a few hours and I'm not as salty, such a disappointing game to lose especially after 3qtrs of pretty good footy, the kicking issues and being clean enough was a bit wayward, Doch stepped up, Crippa just didn't perform nor did ZW, looking forward to TDK coming in next week, JSOS is so unlucky it hurts. Let's hope some changes are made this week but I won't hold my breath. Time for some players to have a think about their futures.

A couple of years ago... Dimma was about to lose his job, but the board had faith in him... sacked all the assistant coaches and replaced them with better assistant coaches... yeah... that was such a failure wasn't it?

Every game this year, as soon as the opposition puts the pressure on, our midfield folds. Either for a quarter, and we sometimes manage to pull it back for a win or we can't pull it back, and our mids start jogging around not know what to do to counter what's happening and we lose. Whose fault is that? Teague or the guys whose jobs it actually is to set up the structures for our mids and stoppages group?

Teague can come up with a gold plated plan that would win the next 10 premierships on the trot... but if his assistant coaches can't train the players for that plan... according to you... it's Teague' fault.
Exactly right and I don't think the strategy was flawed today. I think it was working fine, the dogs threw a counter and our midfield coaches didn't throw one back. They just kept rolling out the same s**t that was no longer working.

Funnily enough losing those contests and centre bounces has exactly 0 to do with overall gameplan and simply 100% to do with the contested setup in that moment and how to counter the stoppage system (different to the team system) that the opponent is using. We have absolutely no ability to do that, that's not on Teague who wasn't given the luxury of hiring his own supporting cast and probably can't or shouldn't really be judged until after he has.

Barker Stanton et al. are failing horribly as stoppage/ midfield and transitional coaches. Teagues contribution to this is probably still there, especially in selection criteria and planning but I think his attitude and temperament are worthy of continuing with him and ffs continuing with a support cast that knows wtf they're doing. Barker has failed every game this season. Our stoppages have been abysmal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silly me thinking "we're not going to get anywhere with Teague in charge" meant sack the coach.
There must be a glitch on this site because that is not my post. Just checked and it seems it came from oldcarltonknows - but has inexplicably been attributed to me? Mods any idea how this has happened?

Thy isn’t saying you can’t post, just calling out the inconsistent BS that often gets posted on here
Thanks for the clarification. To clarify: I have never said any of the BS that he’s saying and I am not inconsistent. If you can show me 1 example to the contrary I am happy to take the criticism. Otherwise it’s totally uncalled for.

Teague should have been given his choice of assistant coaches from the beginning , Barker , Amos have been there too long . Give Teague one year with his choice of assistants and if there is no improvement then bring in someone else that isn't going to be their friend .

Harsh on Amos. Our backline isn't the problem.

What was the final stat for that number of consecutive stoppages/clearances we lost? At one point it was looking like 20+.

I don't know much regarding coaching vs players being at fault, but sure as s**t if that's happening to you, you're likely not making a single correct decision in that area of the ground.

Who is our stoppages coach? How can a failure like that be tolerated.

We were leading with 7.5 minutes in the game to go - what proceeded was a run of really poor decisions and basic skill execution errors form a lot of Carlton players. Players started conceding ground all over the place when the games was still there to be won - the team let them rebound at will and continually made unforced errors and or missed tackles- it was really weird to watch - meanwhile everything the doggies tried tuened to goals.

It is all betwen teh ears- despite all the weaknesses all over the park- the game was lost in players heads more than anything else. No amount of lead cant be taken away by better teams of so m,any players - play so poorly at the same time. The Doggies won pretty much every copmtest that didnt feature Weitering in the last 5 minutes.

Forget structures and systems if too many players are just not up to it.

Tigers and Magpies coaches both wore criticism and developed winning defensive setups with the help of Leppitsch and Longmire respectively - who does Teague have?
Exactly right, hopefuly Woosha slaps the club uppers into line and gets them to give Teague help. If we fire Teague we're likely to keep Barker et al. and just throw another coach to the wolves as we waste a talented list.

So disappointed with today, without trying to dissect the game and without going in to my fluctuating between doom and gloom and optimism, all I can say is this.

If David Teague has any backbone and wants to drive and build a strong culture at the Blues, he will drop the passengers from today’s disappointing game.

If he can look SPS in the eye after 14 touches in 3 quarters and say, you’re dropped, then he should have no problem telling Williams, Cripps and Gibbons the same.

We were 25 up and our next 4 shots at goal were points. We just couldn’t kick a settler.

We were so close to breaking them.

Dogs mids def ran through and over us after that. We didn’t man up.

One thing our mids do under pressure is lose their shape. They all collapse in on the ball and inevitably it spilled to an outside Dog.

We just don’t have the real Cripps or Williams right now and it’s hurting us badly.

Back