Preview Changes / Pre-game Discussion for Rd 9 (Dons in Vic)

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have gone backwards since Meek, Treacy were dropped.
Darcy forward was also looking dangerous.
We need bigger bodies rucks to clear a path for our mids.

Half our wins were without Meek in the side but let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Darcy was close to our best player today. He’s not playing part of the game as a forward so Meek can play 50% game time.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Half our wins were without Meek in the side but let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Darcy was close to our best player today. He’s not playing part of the game as a forward so Meek can play 50% game time.
First 4 games we were 50:50 with Meek.
Darcy is still developing, too much to carry the load all season.

We lost to the Dees, top of the ladder, beat GWS, lost to Blues,
Beat Hawks.
Meeks 4 AFL games, Treacy plays and other forwards get involved.
We had some sort of spine, structure.
Over play Darcy?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
First 4 games we were 50:50 with Meek.
Darcy is still developing, too much to carry the load all season.

We lost to the Dees, top of the ladder, beat GWS, lost to Blues,
Beat Hawks.
Meeks 4 AFL games, Treacy plays and other forwards get involved.
We had some sort of spine, structure.
Over play Darcy?
Frustrating at the reluctance to play three talls. Geelong, west coast, Bulldogs, Melbourne do it. Surely just play Tabs/Lobb/Treacy forward and let Darcy rotate with Meek.
Sturt is out, Fredrick too. Treacy will just replace Frederick, and have Switta, Crowden, Walters as smalls.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Frustrating at the reluctance to play three talls. Geelong, west coast, Bulldogs, Melbourne do it. Surely just play Tabs/Lobb/Treacy forward and let Darcy rotate with Meek.
Sturt is out, Fredrick too. Treacy will just replace Frederick, and have Switta, Crowden, Walters as smalls.
WC can play how many talls?
They know if they lose NN their mids are stuffed.
They don’t lose their structure even with injury to the spine.
Find a spot for Brander, play kids
in defence.
Their fans abuse Waterman, Brander, McGovern, Vardy, and
still get games into a developing ruckman.
Obviously the spine is not the problem😜

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our forward connection lost us that game. **** i50 kicks that got rebounded too easily. So how about we don't drop any of the blokes who actually make good decisions in that regard.

Also, how many football games do some of you have to watch before you realise literally every small forward is a downhill skier? If you're getting smashed, they don't get a look in because it either doesn't get to the forwards or in our case today, gets their so poorly they are never in the game.

Our forward connection lost us that game. **** i50 kicks that got rebounded too easily. So how about we don't drop any of the blokes who actually make good decisions in that regard.

Also, how many football games do some of you have to watch before you realise literally every small forward is a downhill skier? If you're getting smashed, they don't get a look in because it either doesn't get to the forwards or in our case today, gets their so poorly they are never in the game.
Ehh, there’s downhill skiing and there’s being invisible. Schultz has been invisible the last two weeks IMO, Crowden was better today but he’s had a rough month and doesn’t have the credits Schultz has in the bank. Switta performs when we are s**t IMO, obviously looks better when we are up but I’d have confidence he wouldn’t go invisible. Also, Western is a shiny new toy and I want to see how it goes 😃

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU

hmm I might have said similar things
Mitch did not waste any of his kicks and he was involved in a fair few scores either sucking up some pressure and firing the handball out or some great kicks to leads.

cp3_jr

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah tough to criticize Crowden. 7 Score involvements (only behind Fyfe/Lobb/Mundy), 3 Goal assists - the top for the game and as stated above went at 91% DE which was top 4 for Freo too. Pretty solid outing for a small forward, especially with the way the ball was coming in and how uncompetitive we were in the air at times. Outplayed all our other small forwards I thought.

The main changes will most likely be Frederick out for Cerra, if Ryan is fit he comes back in for Conca if injured (if not probably in for Duman or Acres). If Switta is fit it becomes a choice of Henry/Blakely out I would think although both would be a bit stiff. We need Switta’s tackling pressure though.

Lobb’s second half probably saves him along with Darcy’s ruck dominance which makes it harder to bring Meek in.

Think there’s quite a few on thin ice though and further poor performances should open the door for Western, Treacy, Bewley and hopefully in a few weeks time Valente.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
How will we go after being away from Perth for 11 days? It seems we're hubbing on the Gold Coast before heading down to Melbourne so I guess that's where we'll do our training sessions.

It looked like from the training photos this week that we were at a small park that didn't even look like it was shaped like an oval - maybe that's why our ball movement was "too narrow".

Cerra and Ryan will be good ins.

Frederick out and be a good idea to not risk any further injury to Conca. Don't know where bringing an extra mid leaves Blakely as he was quite a good ball hunter in the centre today - but doesn't have much of a role elsewhere.

Last edited:

Moonrat

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone calling for Pearce to come straight in has either just been born, is blind deaf and dumb or has been in quarantine for the last 6 years.
He MUST NOT come straight in under any circumstances.

If he does, I'm putting my tinfoil hat on and calling out a conspiracy theory being propagated to ensure the FFC break the world record for having the most strength and conditioning department mismanagement injuries per player per season of any professional sporting organisation in the world.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ehh, there’s downhill skiing and there’s being invisible. Schultz has been invisible the last two weeks IMO, Crowden was better today but he’s had a rough month and doesn’t have the credits Schultz has in the bank. Switta performs when we are sh*t IMO, obviously looks better when we are up but I’d have confidence he wouldn’t go invisible. Also, Western is a shiny new toy and I want to see how it goes 😃
That's fair on Schultz, I can only remember 2 passages of play where he actually touched the ball. Henry and Mitch were much better at getting involved. Mitch can't get dropped after that, bias aside he was easily one of our most effective players. We didn't lose because of him.

I think your Switta memories are rose coloured. Didn't he only kick 6 goals in 20 games at one point?
Aish and Schultz went at 52 and 50% DE today.
Crowden at 91%
I’d love us to work with Mitch to get him to 20 possessions a game.
Yeah the forward line isn't the place to rack it up. Even Sonny doesn't get much of it.

They obviously don't like his inside work, wondering if he has the tank for the wing?
Yeah tough to criticize Crowden. 7 Score involvements (only behind Fyfe/Lobb/Mundy), 3 Goal assists - the top for the game and as stated above went at 91% DE which was top 4 for Freo too. Pretty solid outing for a small forward, especially with the way the ball was coming in and how uncompetitive we were in the air at times. Outplayed all our other small forwards I thought.
That's actually better than I thought.

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Mitch did not waste any of his kicks and he was involved in a fair few scores either sucking up some pressure and firing the handball out or some great kicks to leads.
Yep :thumbsu:
Surprised that many didnt see that and want him dropped :huh:
I mean...dropping the guy who is in the top 4 for our total goal assists and had the most yesterday is always a good plan right???
We look a whole lot better when he is hitting a leader player.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Crowden stays in. I think it's apparent we need our high forwards to get up and down to help our midfield defend, Crowden does this.

If we can add Switta (maybe Western too) our pressure goes up. Ryan and Cerra are a given if they are fit.

I like keeping Blakely as it 'should' allow Fyfe/Mundy to sneak forward more and put the opposition under pressure there.

We really need a player at CHF that can push up at the centre bounce and apply pressure when we are under the pump. I actually really like Walters giving this a go because he can read the play and if he gets hands on it can deliver inside 50 (possibly Crowden as well).

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Perfect game to play Lobb against Bombers Cox if he plays.
Put Lobb on a wing, or ball and get him running.
I’d like to see us play tall, we have tried the run, speed, gone small and it’s not working or is
Unbalanced.
We don’t deliver the ball well to our forwards, so at least we could stop interceptions and bring the ball to ground, make our smalls relevant.
Darcy can rest forward, I’d also like to see if Treacy could play as a swing man? Or at least we have that option.
It’s time to mix it up, Treacy is already better than Tabs at the same age.
He needs game time, same with Henry, Meek.
We are getting blown away for a quarter, we need some big bodies to fill the hole at CHB, stop the flow, make it an arm wrestle.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Schulz as a pressure forward , one tackle.
Schulz as a forward, nil score. GAs nil
Daniel Rich over 30 possessions
I know I ,'ll get accused of being on his case again but seriously that's not good enough.
To stay in the side he needs to at least lay a few tackles.

Back