21 year old cyclist killed by truck

Remove this Banner Ad

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Climate change activist Leif Justham
Died on Tuesday morning cycling around Australia....

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
“Dangerous driving”.
I wonder how they concluded that?

Did the truckie confess or were there witnesses?

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Seems like the old debate about cyclist vs vehicles, im suprised how many comments are from unsympathetic people. A large majority of comments are awful and im a little suprised. I can understand the pros and cons to an extent but I haven't spent much time looking into the debate.
Is there a place for cycling on australian roads; ie the nullabor Hwy ?

andrewmillman

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Seems like the old debate about cyclist vs vehicles, im suprised how many comments are from unsympathetic people. A large majority of comments are awful and im a little suprised. I can understand the pros and cons to an extent but I haven't spent much time looking into the debate.
Is there a place for cycling on australian roads; ie the nullabor Hwy ?
How difficult is it to spot and avoid a cyclist on a treeless straight road like that? F me so sad.

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glare at sunset may have caused a factor. Lack of attention another factor... I've been told that road is as boring as hell to drive. Hard to know without the facts.
Not this time; Article says it happened in the morning 9:30am.
Both cycle and truck going Westward.
So that means no sun in eyes..
If you read the comments on the YouTube clips there are lots of comments saying "anti cycling" type things. I find it amazing that so many people can be horrible trolls!

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not this time; Article says it happened in the morning 9:30am.
Both cycle and truck going Westward.
So that means no sun in eyes..
Fatigue. The guy may have dozed off at the wheel. Not rare for a truck driver doing long hours.

Not saying the driver isn't at fault but I doubt it was deliberate.

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fatigue. The guy may have dozed off at the wheel. Not rare for a truck driver doing long hours.

Not saying the driver isn't at fault but I doubt it was deliberate.
I didn't think deliberate.
amazed at the nasty comments on that YouTube clip etc

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
How difficult is it to spot and avoid a cyclist on a treeless straight road like that? F me so sad.

Pulling a trailer or 2, a triple or a Quad - they move about, none of your 1.5m Vic fandango. I would not ride a bike out there, no way.

You can find trouble if you go looking for it.
Lost a rear window in a near new station wagon, sucked out by a passing truck up Port Augusta way heading home with the family for Xmas.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Pulling a trailer or 2, a triple or a Quad - they move about, none of your 1.5m Vic fandango. I would not ride a bike out there, no way.

Lost a rear window in a near new station wagon, sucked out by a passing truck up Port Augusta way heading home with the family for Xmas.
You're correct that they move about but no-one would know that more than a truck driver.

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For interest sake ; how many cyclist have crossed the nullabor ?
Per year , per decade...etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
For interest sake ; how many cyclist have crossed the nullabor ?
Per year , per decade...etc
I don't know the exact statistic but I have driven and ridden (motorbike - the least boring way to do it IMO) across over a dozen times and every time i have seen tourists riding across the nullabor. Foreign tourists often don't realise the actually distance they will cover, both between road stops and in it's entirety, and they don't realise how harsh (dry and dusty) the weather can be. It takes about a week to ride a pedal bike across if you are well prepared.

Do search on "cycling across the nullabor" and you find many stories from those that have done it.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A year ago similar road cyclist death
Guardian article:

The section between Balladonia and Caiguna includes what is regarded as the longest straight stretch of road in Australia and one of the longest in the world. The road stretches for 146.6 kilometres (91.1 mi) without turning, and is signposted and commonly known as the "90 Mile Straight".

summer justham

Draftee
Aug 4, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Do me a favour and shut the * up, Leif was riding around Australia for the environment. Get your head out of your ass. 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back